The Student Room Group

Should Antitheism be taught in Schools?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yellowcopter
...it broadens the horizons of my religious beliefs, gives me all the different perspectives of religion.

How exactly do you broaden the horizons of your religious beliefs, unless they are of the Einsteinian sort? What do you do, become more open to dogma? Believe harder? Allow yourself to get sucked into more profound moral and mental oblivion? I'd sincerely love to know, because it sounds very tricky.

Seriously. What makes you continue believing that the religion you happened to be brought up in / converted to, is *the* correct one? I mean, they can't all be right... can they?
Original post by felamaslen
How exactly do you broaden the horizons of your religious beliefs, unless they are of the Einsteinian sort? What do you do, become more open to dogma? Believe harder? Allow yourself to get sucked into more profound moral and mental oblivion? I'd sincerely love to know, because it sounds very tricky.

Seriously. What makes you continue believing that the religion you happened to be brought up in / converted to, is *the* correct one? I mean, they can't all be right... can they?

It opens up the world and shows me views outside those of religious believers, that's how it broadens my horizons. It shows me what people who don't believe in religion believe in. It doesn't affect anything or do anything drastic, it doesn't poison me as you're trying to make it sound like - all it does is shows us that in religion not everything is as it seems, and that there are non-believers. It shows us what we, and other people believe when religion just isn't for them.

What I meant was it broadens my knowledge of different religious views, not that it broadens my religious beliefs.

I wasn't brought up in any religion, my family are atheist so...
Original post by The Angry Stoic
Should Antitheism be taught in schools? That is, the study of the negative impacts of religions, direct or indirect, upon society, politics and the individual mind and arguments against the validity and truthfulness of religions. Criticisms of all sorts could be discussed. Everything from sexual repression and homophobia to the Crusades and the Israel/Palestine issues. Criticisms could be made from a theological, philosophical or societal viewpoint.

I think it is important to teach it and has so far only been missed from the curriculum because of the fuss religious people would make. However, religion is a hugely influential force in the world and like anything should be criticised and examined fully.

I can see problems emerging such as which religions should be examined and maintaining objectivity but no problems that don't already occur with teaching history.

Thoughts?

You could be much more intelligent and instead teach knowledge which would override beliefs of all nature. But then, you'd have to have knowledge to teach it :smile:
Original post by yellowcopter
It opens up the world and shows me views outside those of religious believers, that's how it broadens my horizons. It shows me what people who don't believe in religion believe in. It doesn't affect anything or do anything drastic, it doesn't poison me as you're trying to make it sound like - all it does is shows us that in religion not everything is as it seems, and that there are non-believers. It shows us what we, and other people believe when religion just isn't for them.

What I meant was it broadens my knowledge of different religious views, not that it broadens my religious beliefs.

I wasn't brought up in any religion, my family are atheist so...

Well it seems I may have misunderstood you then. :colone:

When I study different religions, the big question that comes up in my mind is "why do people continue to believe?".
(edited 10 years ago)
Am I the only person who thinks there is something horribly 1984 about forcing children into atheism?:K:
Original post by AttackofTheBoris
Am I the only person who thinks there is something horribly 1984 about forcing children into atheism?:K:

It's not about that. Just looking at the negative side of religion.
It's not about that. Just looking at the negative side of religion.

What about the positive side of religion?
Original post by AttackofTheBoris
What about the positive side of religion?

That can also be discussed, scant though the points may be.
Yeah, because we all listen and engage in intelligent discussion during RS lessons.

:colonhash:

Replace RS with MFLs and I'll be a happy bunny! (Or fish)
That can also be discussed, scant though the points may be.

This shows why RS is stupid, everyone has a bias, as demonstrated by you.

These biases are taught and kids are too stupid to think for themselves anyway.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
This shows why RS is stupid, everyone has a bias, as demonstrated by you.

These biases are taught and kids are too stupid to think for themselves anyway.

I'll not lie that I have a negative view of religion but that's based on the evidence I've found and the time I've spent studying it. I'm not going to deny there are some positives such the emotional comfort religion gives, as much as I find that undesirable.

To a degree, biase can be neutralised by a standard curriculum.

What about historical issues like the Troubles and social issues like racism and sexism are discussed in class and teachers will certainly have biase on those issues?
I'll not lie that I have a negative view of religion but that's based on the evidence I've found and the time I've spent studying it. I'm not going to deny there are some positives such the emotional comfort religion gives, as much as I find that undesirable.

To a degree, biase can be neutralised by a standard curriculum.

What about historical issues like the Troubles and social issues like racism and sexism are discussed in class and teachers will certainly have biase on those issues?

Is biase the same as bias? :colondollar:

If so, they're not allowed to convey bias because then they'll end up being racist/sexist!
Is biase the same as bias? :colondollar:

If so, they're not allowed to convey bias because then they'll end up being racist/sexist!

The e makes it even more bias! :biggrin:

People can be very subtle about these things.
The e makes it even more bias! :biggrin:

People can be very subtle about these things.

Aaah, I see! (now I don't know if you're being sarcastic :tongue:)

It's true... Everything will have it's... Biase :wink:
Aaah, I see! (now I don't know if you're being sarcastic :tongue:)

It's true... Everything will have it's... Biase :wink:

I'm being sarcastice.
I'm being sarcastice.

It's annoying how my phone had biase as a word...

It's annoying how my phone had biase as a word...

Biase
Biase is a Local Government Area of Cross River State, Nigeria. Its headquarters are in the town of Akpet Central.
It sounds like a game of tug of war to me. If the case for antitheism being taught in schools is promoted, then religious groups will react to this and also up-the-ante. As I have heard some Christians like Eric Hovind say, "this is a battle for the children's minds" (quoted from memory). I personally think the surest way to teach someone antitheism is to let them learn about theism and realise for themselves its illogical nature. What is greatest about antitheism is that it is not a stance which children are indoctrinated with, but rather one that they come to conclude through thoughtful questioning of their own.
Religion is not all good, yet only the good aspect are taught. Teach all of it, good and bad, or teach none of it.
I did religious studies in lower school, and now doing Philosophy and ethics in sixthform.

We hear the Theistic and Atheistic arguments for against religion. Philosophy of religion goes especially in depth about this.

Anything other than that, on either side, is purely propaganda and dogma.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending