The Student Room Group

Leeds A100 Applicants 2014

Hello everybody!

I've seen lots of threads popping up about 2014 entry to various medical schools, so I thought I'd make a Leeds one! :biggrin:

This year Leeds says *finds notes from open day* that they are ranking based on:

[*]Best of 9 GCSEs (including Eng Lang, Maths and the sciences)
[*]OR your AS levels (they will rank whichever is stronger)
[*]Personal Statement
[*]UKCAT (no cut off)

Predicted A*s or extra A2s will not be an advantage.

For 2013 entry Leeds had approx. 3500 applicants. This year it's expected to be 3500-4000. On their open day they said they will only look at 1000 personal statements, after the best 1000 academic profiles have been selected. Out of these 1000 statements, around 512 interviews will take place.

Leeds are known to have quite a rigorous personal statement process and this year it has been highlighted that these things will become particularly important (pretty standard for most medical schools really):

*Motivation and insight
*Social awareness
*Responsibility and leadership
*Interests and achievements

The interviews are done by MMI with 8 mini stations, each lasting 8 minutes. These will test a variety of skills like communication, negotiation skills and knowledge of current affairs. The good news is, the interview to offer ratio is around 1:1.5 :biggrin:

So welcome! What do you guys like about Leeds and where else are you planning to apply? Feel free to post stats and we can all have a chat and help each other out. Do any current medics or offer holders have any tips for us (take pity, please!) :tongue:

Also, does anyone have any knowledge of how the UKCAT is being used. I know it definitely is but I think Leeds has been a bit vague on exactly how it takes part in the admissions process!
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump!
Reply 2
Thanks for starting the thread and the info! I just can't decide between Leeds or Brighton?!
Reply 3
Original post by Jimmmyw
Thanks for starting the thread and the info! I just can't decide between Leeds or Brighton?!

I understand the dilemma! I'm finding it really hard to pick my 4th choice! What other unis are you going for?

And what are your stats e.g UKCAT, GCSEs, AS etc, I might be able to help! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Lucyloo859
I understand the dilemma! I'm finding it really hard to pick my 4th choice! What other unis are you going for?

And what are your stats e.g UKCAT, GCSEs, AS etc, I might be able to help! :smile:

GCSE's- 6A's 3B's
AS- AAAB
UKCAT-735

I'm going for keele, Newcastle and Manchester atm :smile: what about your choices and stats? (if you don't mind sharing) :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Jimmmyw
GCSE's- 6A's 3B's
AS- AAAB
UKCAT-735

I'm going for keele, Newcastle and Manchester atm :smile: what about your choices and stats? (if you don't mind sharing) :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohh, that's a hard one! On one hand you want to use your great UKCAT score yet Brighton only uses it if there's very similar applicants at interview. However, Leeds rank your GCSEs but you have good AS levels so they'll probably count those instead! You seem to have a good chance at both, which do you prefer city wise? Brighton is on the outskirts isn't it?

That's fine! I have:

GCSE: 7A*s 3As 1B
AS: AAAB and A in the extended project (doesn't really count though!)
UKCAT: 797.5

I'm going for Leeds, Newcastle Nottingham and the last one I'm thinking Leicester, Kings or Manchester but I really have no clue to be honest. Any suggestions? I like Manchester but I'm not sure I'd like PBL.
Reply 6
Definetely applying here. My stats are

GCSEs: 10 A*s 1 A
A Levels: A*A*A (getting the A remarked)
UKCAT: 707.5

Now just have to find the motivation to do the PS
Reply 7
Hello everybody!

I've seen lots of threads popping up about 2014 entry to various medical schools, so I thought I'd make a Leeds one! :biggrin:

This year Leeds says *finds notes from open day* that they are ranking based on:

[*]Best of 9 GCSEs (including Eng Lang, Maths and the sciences)
[*]OR your AS levels (they will rank whichever is stronger)
[*]Personal Statement
[*]UKCAT (no cut off)

Predicted A*s or extra A2s will not be an advantage.

For 2013 entry Leeds had approx. 3500 applicants. This year it's expected to be 3500-4000. On their open day they said they will only look at 1000 personal statements, after the best 1000 academic profiles have been selected. Out of these 1000 statements, around 400 interviews will take place.

Leeds are known to have quite a rigorous personal statment process and this year it has been highlighted that these things will become particularly important (pretty standard for most medical schools really):

*Motivation and insight
*Social awareness
*Responsibility and leadership
*Interests and achievements

The interviews are done by MMI with 8 mini stations, each lasting 8 minutes. These will test a variety of skills like communication, negotiation skills and knowledge of current affairs. The good new is, the interview to offer ratio is around 1:1.5 :biggrin:

So welcome! What do you guys like about Leeds and where else are you planning to apply? Feel free to post stats and we can all have a chat and help each other out. Do any current medics or offer holders have any tips for us (take pity, please!) :tongue:

Also, does anyone have any knowledge of how the UKCAT is being used. I know it definitely is but I think Leeds has been a bit vague on exactly how it takes part in the admissions process!

I'm pretty sure they said 512 interviews on their open day,
not 400!
Reply 8
Original post by msewell12
Definetely applying here. My stats are

GCSEs: 10 A*s 1 A
A Levels: A*A*A (getting the A remarked)
UKCAT: 707.5

Now just have to find the motivation to do the PS

Wow, nice A levels, well done :biggrin: Are you a reapplicant then?
I know, I have to do my PS too and I'm kind of dreading it! Leeds seems to be so particular in what they look for- I'm thinking it's going to be my risky choice just because of that!

Original post by msewell12
I'm pretty sure they said 512 interviews on their open day,
not 400!

Ahh, thank you! It was a bit of a guesstimate off last years figures really, I'll change it.
Where else are you applying? :smile:
Reply 9
Ohh, that's a hard one! On one hand you want to use your great UKCAT score yet Brighton only uses it if there's very similar applicants at interview. However, Leeds rank your GCSEs but you have good AS levels so they'll probably count those instead! You seem to have a good chance at both, which do you prefer city wise? Brighton is on the outskirts isn't it?

That's fine! I have:

GCSE: 7A*s 3As 1B
AS: AAAB and A in the extended project (doesn't really count though!)
UKCAT: 797.5

I'm going for Leeds, Newcastle Nottingham and the last one I'm thinking Leicester, Kings or Manchester but I really have no clue to be honest. Any suggestions? I like Manchester but I'm not sure I'd like PBL.

Yes thats the problem im having haha! But I think ill just choose one that I like the most and then see how it goes:smile:

Nice stats btw your in a better position than me :wink: I would go for Leicester personally because I bet you get 59/60 at least on there marking so your gaurenteed an interview there! Or saying that kings too, maybe not manchester though.. (Its nothing to do with the fact im applying there haha :wink: )

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Jimmmyw
Yes thats the problem im having haha! But I think ill just choose one that I like the most and then see how it goes:smile:

Nice stats btw your in a better position than me :wink: I would go for Leicester personally because I bet you get 59/60 at least on there marking so your gaurenteed an interview there! Or saying that kings too, maybe not manchester though.. (Its nothing to do with the fact im applying there haha :wink: )

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks :smile: That's only academics though, I hope we both stand a chance if we ace our personal statement! I know, I like the idea of a guaranteed interview (obviously), but I'm not sure that I'd like Leicester. I only live 20 minutes away in the car and I don't really like the city to be honest. I like King's but I'd have to rely on the high UKCAT to make up for my GCSEs because of their sliding scale.

Yeah, right! I see what you're doing, this is just sabotage isn't it??! :wink: How come you'd avoid Manchester? :smile:
Reply 11
Thanks :smile: That's only academics though, I hope we both stand a chance if we ace our personal statement! I know, I like the idea of a guaranteed interview (obviously), but I'm not sure that I'd like Leicester. I only live 20 minutes away in the car and I don't really like the city to be honest. I like King's but I'd have to rely on the high UKCAT to make up for my GCSEs because of their sliding scale.

Yeah, right! I see what you're doing, this is just sabotage isn't it??! :wink: How come you'd avoid Manchester? :smile:

Yh I know! But its the most subjective part so it depends on the person who reads it:/ (i hope their nice:wink: ) and ohhh i see, i suppose you have the option to pick a gamble.

Haha I was joking, I just said it because I'm applying:wink: it looks a really good med school and place, I'm going to the open day soon so that'll be the decider :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys, I'm pretty sure I'm going for Leeds too! I loved the open day :biggrin:

Just hoping my personal statement is what they are looking for :s-smilie:
Reply 13
Original post by Jimmmyw
Yh I know! But its the most subjective part so it depends on the person who reads it:/ (i hope their nice:wink: ) and ohhh i see, i suppose you have the option to pick a gamble.

Haha I was joking, I just said it because I'm applying:wink: it looks a really good med school and place, I'm going to the open day soon so that'll be the decider :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I knew it! :tongue: I'm just hoping for some flash of inspiration before October :biggrin:

Original post by Dr. Django
Hey guys, I'm pretty sure I'm going for Leeds too! I loved the open day :biggrin:

Just hoping my personal statement is what they are looking for :s-smilie:

Hello there, welcome! I know, I loved Leeds open day too, even though it was hacking it down with rain.
That's the thing that worries me about Leeds too, it's so subjective :/
Hello there, welcome! I know, I loved Leeds open day too, even though it was hacking it down with rain.
That's the thing that worries me about Leeds too, it's so subjective :/

It was so good! I was lucky, I don't think it rained when I went!!

Yeah it's going to be tough :/ But if we get in the top 1000 for academics then we have an alright chance of an interview!!! Need to perfect my statement! My school want it in this week but I want to keep improving it :frown:
Reply 15
Original post by Dr. Django
It was so good! I was lucky, I don't think it rained when I went!!

Yeah it's going to be tough :/ But if we get in the top 1000 for academics then we have an alright chance of an interview!!! Need to perfect my statement! My school want it in this week but I want to keep improving it :frown:

Lucky you!

Hopefully! Do you have any idea of how they use the UKCAT at all? I don't think they really mentioned it on the open day did they? Also, you know when they say they use the best of GCSEs OR AS levels, do you know how they score the AS? As in is it our of 4 of them or 3 or what? I got a little confused with that.

Really? I have loads of work still to do on mine, my school want it in on the 1st October.
hi guys, i am thinking of applying here too! :smile: What do you think is the most important thing for getting an interview here?
Reply 17
What do you guys think my chances are like?
GCSE: 7A*,3A,2C and a merit
AS level:AAAA
Predicted:A*A*AA
UKCAT:722.5
Reply 18
Original post by kcapsoccer
hi guys, i am thinking of applying here too! :smile: What do you think is the most important thing for getting an interview here?

It seems to be your academics first (AS results OR best 9 GCSEs- so it doesn't matter too much if you have bad GCSEs but good ASs or vice versa). Then after that it's pure personal statement- so that has to be good too!

What are your stats?
Original post by Sam_1996
What do you guys think my chances are like?
GCSE: 7A*,3A,2C and a merit
AS level:AAAA
Predicted:A*A*AA
UKCAT:722.5

Seems pretty good to me! You just have to ace your personal statement now :smile:
Reply 19
Wow, nice A levels, well done :biggrin: Are you a reapplicant then?
I know, I have to do my PS too and I'm kind of dreading it! Leeds seems to be so particular in what they look for- I'm thinking it's going to be my risky choice just because of that!

Ahh, thank you! It was a bit of a guesstimate off last years figures really, I'll change it.
Where else are you applying? :smile:

Thank you :smile: Yours are equally amazing too-wish I had your UKCAT score!
My 1st choice is either Cambridge or UCL-all depends on whether my Biology remark goes up-if it does I'll probably apply to Cambridge
My other choices (in rank order) are Leeds, Newcastle (this may change to Exeter if I feel my UKCAT is low for newcastle) and lancaster
Btw the UKCAT is actually very important for Leeds-its used in the scoring of academics. They get a lot of applicants with low UKCAT scores who they straight away eliminate, even though they say "we look at the whole application". The reality is that you need a good UKCAT score for them to look at the personal statement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending