Leeds A100 Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by VeenaPatel
Hi

GSCE 10 x A* and 2 x A* SHORT COURSE
AS AAAB
A2 predicted AAA or A*AA
UKCAT VR 470 :angry:QR 630 AR 740 DA 900 :colondollar: SJT 2 AV 685

so long as WE and EC and PS are ok/good will the UKCAT be enough to get me into Leeds?

Hard to say, you're UKCAT is better than mine was, however it's difficult to say what's good enough with the new admissions policy. Obviously there's no previous data with the new policy so you can't really predict, and it's not completely clear exactly how much weight will be put on the UKCAT now. Personally I think you have a good average, but that's just my opinion :smile: Although as you may have read earlier in the thread, applicants are ranked according to academics (including UKCAT) then the top 1000 have there personal statement read, so the things you've mentioned only actually may be read depending on your UKCAT (and other academics of course).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 81
Hi,
I'm starting at Leeds on the 23rd, so if anyone wants to ask any questions about the process and getting in, I'd be happy to help as much as I can!
Good luck everyone xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 82
Original post by Lucyloo859
Hello everybody!

I've seen lots of threads popping up about 2014 entry to various medical schools, so I thought I'd make a Leeds one! :biggrin:

This year Leeds says *finds notes from open day* that they are ranking based on:

[*]
Best of 9 GCSEs (including Eng Lang, Maths and the sciences)

[*]
OR your AS levels (they will rank whichever is stronger)

[*]
Personal Statement

[*]
UKCAT (no cut off)

Predicted A*s or extra A2s will not be an advantage.

For 2013 entry Leeds had approx. 3500 applicants. This year it's expected to be 3500-4000. On their open day they said they will only look at 1000 personal statements, after the best 1000 academic profiles have been selected. Out of these 1000 statements, around 512 interviews will take place.

Leeds are known to have quite a rigorous personal statement process and this year it has been highlighted that these things will become particularly important (pretty standard for most medical schools really):

*Motivation and insight
*Social awareness
*Responsibility and leadership
*Interests and achievements

The interviews are done by MMI with 8 mini stations, each lasting 8 minutes. These will test a variety of skills like communication, negotiation skills and knowledge of current affairs. The good new is, the interview to offer ratio is around 1:1.5 :biggrin:

So welcome! What do you guys like about Leeds and where else are you planning to apply? Feel free to post stats and we can all have a chat and help each other out. Do any current medics or offer holders have any tips for us (take pity, please!) :tongue:

Also, does anyone have any knowledge of how the UKCAT is being used. I know it definitely is but I think Leeds has been a bit vague on exactly how it takes part in the admissions process!

Hello :biggrin:
You say that only 1000 personal statements are read based on the best academic profiles, but as 3As at AS is equivalent to 9A* at GCSE, what else do they use to narrow it down and decide whose personal statement gets read?
Thankss
Reply 83
Original post by MTW47
UKCAT

Thanks for that, I have checked their website and you are correct :smile:
Do you think it would be risky to apply with a UKCAT score of 670 even if my predicted grades are A*A*A*A ?
Original post by studnetMo
Thanks for that, I have checked their website and you are correct :smile:
Do you think it would be risky to apply with a UKCAT score of 670 even if my predicted grades are A*A*A*A ?

It's difficult to determine what a safe UKCAT score actually is with this new policy, perhaps look at the UKCAT cut offs (I know Leeds don't operate a cut off) for the UKCAT heavy universities like Newcastle and see how close you are to those to help judge your score a bit better :smile: although in regard to your predicting grades, according to OP predicted A*'s or extra A2's will be given no extra credit

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got 9A* 2A but if I include all subjects you need to (sciences, english etc) I get 7A* 2A. Which scores more highly; 7A*2A or 3A at AS (i only took 3 as the other is a pre-u)
Reply 86
Original post by heythere247
It's difficult to determine what a safe UKCAT score actually is with this new policy, perhaps look at the UKCAT cut offs (I know Leeds don't operate a cut off) for the UKCAT heavy universities like Newcastle and see how close you are to those to help judge your score a bit better :smile: although in regard to your predicting grades, according to OP predicted A*'s or extra A2's will be given no extra credit

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is a really good point, thanks for that :biggrin:
I will get that research done asap :P
How do Leeds rank AS/GCSE, UKCAT and PS? And do Leeds still award an extra 2 points for achieved A2 grades?

I have AAAA at AS (poorer GCSEs)
Original post by mynameisntbobk
How do Leeds rank AS/GCSE, UKCAT and PS? And do Leeds still award an extra 2 points for achieved A2 grades?

I have AAAA at AS (poorer GCSEs)

As your AS grades are, I assume, better than your GCSE's, they'll use them to rank you. Not sure whether they award extra points for A2's. The original post explains the system quite well and it's easier than writing it out for the tenth time :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 89
Hi,

AABB (as level)
AAA predicted A2
725 UKCAT
7A* 3A's GCSE
Do you think it's worth applying?
Original post by MTW47
3 A's at as should give you full marks

AWESOME!! I think I'm applying :biggrin:
As your AS grades are, I assume, better than your GCSE's, they'll use them to rank you. Not sure whether they award extra points for A2's. The original post explains the system quite well and it's easier than writing it out for the tenth time :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sorry :smile: the OP is quite good, but its just I've heard from different sources that they do and they don't so I'm a bit confused.
Original post by mynameisntbobk
I'm sorry :smile: the OP is quite good, but its just I've heard from different sources that they do and they don't so I'm a bit confused.

Don't worry about it :smile: best thing to do, if it's not clearly stated on the website, is the ask admissions directly. :smile: I'll have a quick look at the website...how many a2's do you have and how many are just AS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 93
Original post by Lucyloo859
bump!

Hi! Thanks for making this thread,

I really want to apply to Leeds this year but don't know if I should and was hoping for some advice
My stats are
GCSE - 9 A*'s and 1A
AS Levels - AAAB
Predicted A2 - A* AA
UKCAT - 2920, average score of 730, Band 1 SJ

Thank you!
Original post by li-vvy
Hi! Thanks for making this thread,

I really want to apply to Leeds this year but don't know if I should and was hoping for some advice
My stats are
GCSE - 9 A*'s and 1A
AS Levels - AAAB
Predicted A2 - A* AA
UKCAT - 2920, average score of 730, Band 1 SJ

Thank you!

Your academics are very good, as long as you have a good personal statement to match, I think leeds would be a good choice for you to apply to

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't worry about it :smile: best thing to do, if it's not clearly stated on the website, is the ask admissions directly. :smile: I'll have a quick look at the website...how many a2's do you have and how many are just AS?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, MTW47 has explained it below :smile: none of mine are A2s, they're all AS
Original post by MTW47
You don't get extra points for achieved grades anymore. I think the confusion has arisen because prior to last year you did. So people who applied a couple of years ago post what the situation was then, not realising that it changed last year. However if you got 3 a's at a2 I assume you will get full marks for your exams

Ah okay, thank you for explaining that :smile: I think I may consider Leeds then, I have 4 As at AS, I don't have any A2s as of yet
Reply 96
Thinking of applying to leeds, I am a gap year student and my stats are:

GCSE 4A* 7A or AS aaaa
A-levels A*AA
UKCAT 735 (but scored 570 in one subtest)

Any ideas on where to apply or if you think I have a good chance for leeds.
Reply 97
I was going to apply here, but all of you are changing my mind :frown:

GCSE: 2A* 5A 2B
AS: AAAA (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, History)
UKCAT: 710

Pretty happy with my personal statement, but I'm guessing i won't even be in the top 1,000 anyway? Sick of my ****ty GCSEs restricting me :angry:
Original post by StephenNaulls
I was going to apply here, but all of you are changing my mind :frown:

GCSE: 2A* 5A 2B
AS: AAAA (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, History)
UKCAT: 710

Pretty happy with my personal statement, but I'm guessing i won't even be in the top 1,000 anyway? Sick of my ****ty GCSEs restricting me :angry:

No it's GCSE's OR AS's and your AS's will get you full marks for that section so don't worry about it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 99
No it's GCSE's OR AS's and your AS's will get you full marks for that section so don't worry about it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh. But surely more than 1,000 people applying have 9A* or AAAA at AS?

Quick Reply

Latest