The Student Room Group

Does applying for deferred entry put a Uni off accepting you?

I'm slightly concerned that if I say I want to deffer my entry it might make the Uni less likely to accept me for whatever reason. I want to have a gap year to save some money up but I want to already have my place at Uni because I can have my college's help with entry. Also, if I suddenly change my mind about having a gap year can I apply for 2014 entry instead of 2015? :confused: (i'm just about to go into my A2's)
Also if anyone knows, is East Anglia a good uni? (night life, teachers etc) And if you have any inside information on :
Reading Uni
Sheffield
Southampton
Oxford Brookes
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by lissyeve
I'm slightly concerned that if I say I want to deffer my entry it might make the Uni less likely to accept me for whatever reason. I want to have a gap year to save some money up but I want to already have my place at Uni because I can have my college's help with entry. Also, if I suddenly change my mind about having a gap year can I apply for 2014 entry instead of 2015? :confused: (i'm just about to go into my A2's)
Also if anyone knows, is East Anglia a good uni? (night life, teachers etc) And if you have any inside information on :
Reading Uni
Sheffield
Southampton
Oxford Brookes

Most universities don't care if you apply for deferred entry - they will judge your application exactly the same. There are a few universities that care (e.g. oxbridge) and some courses (e.g. Maths, engineering) though.

Also, you can apply for regular 2014 entry and later on in the cycle email the university and change to deferred entry (they don't have to let you but they nearly always will). However, applying for deferred entry and then trying to undefer is really risky because they deal with the numbers and they have a limited number of spaces and offers they want to give out for each year's entry. I've never heard of someone trying to undefer so how often it is granted I have no idea.

See here to compare universities: http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/
A lot of people I know were put off applying deferred as they thought the unis wouldn't like it. But I know people who applied deferred entry to loads of courses, even competitive ones like medicine, and still got like 3 offers. As long as you can show you're going to do something useful with it, then I think most places don't mind. I have heard they're not keen on it for maths though.
Reply 3
Original post by UnicornUmbrella
A lot of people I know were put off applying deferred as they thought the unis wouldn't like it. But I know people who applied deferred entry to loads of courses, even competitive ones like medicine, and still got like 3 offers. As long as you can show you're going to do something useful with it, then I think most places don't mind. I have heard they're not keen on it for maths though.

Ah okay thanks, it's ok im not doing maths i'm doing international relations hopefully :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest