The Student Room Group

AS Levels and Uni

Hey, I know a lot of these threads have been on TSR lately and I did try and find one but none fit the course which I want to study at Uni so I will bother you guys with another thread.

Well on results day I got ABCD.
A in History 166/200
B in English 152/200
C in Art 124/200
D in Biology. [dropped]

I have never studied Art at GCSE before so I was told the grade I achieved was good and I was rather proud of it. However I was rather disappointed on my English grade but it has been sent for remarking.

So I wanted to study classical studies and I need to be predicted AAB-ABB would I be able to be predicted this and apply for classical studies?

The uni's I was looking at are UCL, Exeter, St Andrews, Kent, Cardiff.
Reply 1
bump
I don't see why not, if you work hard enough :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by economicsrocks
I don't see why not, if you work hard enough :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

However, I did work hard all year. I literally never left my room or if I was in school, the library.
Reply 4
Talk to your teachers about your predicted grades, judging from the teachers at my school they can be pretty lenient. Once you have an idea of what your predicted grades might be, write to the admissions tutors at universities you are interested in to see what they think. Also it might be an idea to look into a GCSE or AS level in Classics, or study subjects (maybe begin to learn Latin etc) that may be part of your course so that you have proof that you're a candidate worth considering.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by mariposaa
Talk to your teachers about your predicted grades, judging from the teachers at my school they can be pretty lenient. Once you have an idea of what your predicted grades might be, write to the admissions tutors at universities you are interested in to see what they think. Also it might be an idea to look into a GCSE or AS level in Classics, or study subjects (maybe begin to learn Latin etc) that may be part of your course so that you have proof that you're a candidate worth considering.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would it look weird if I was predicted AAB with my AS levels?. I already attend my schools 'Classics club' and I am learning Latin by myself. I've also done a lot of extra reading and summer schools at UCL. Thank you for the advice. :smile: Sometimes I read the advice on here saying how crap my grades are and it's just really ruined my confidence.
Yes, they should predict you those grades, if your teachers think you are capable and think it will increase your chance of an offer I don't see why not, just have a word. I got BCDE is AS and got predicted ABB for A2, so with ABC AAB-ABB shouldn't be a problem :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW
Yes, they should predict you those grades, if your teachers think you are capable and think it will increase your chance of an offer I don't see why not, just have a word. I got BCDE is AS and got predicted ABB for A2, so with ABC AAB-ABB shouldn't be a problem :smile:

Thanks. :smile: If you don't mind me asking did you do as well as you were predicted? :smile:
Original post by historylover96
Thanks. :smile: If you don't mind me asking did you do as well as you were predicted? :smile:

Nearly, ABC, 10 ums off an A in geography, 14 ums of B in biology, but I got A's in a lot of my final exams/retake, which resulted from hard work, so definitely possible :smile:
Reply 9
Nearly, ABC, 10 ums off an A in geography, 14 ums of B in biology, but I got A's in a lot of my final exams/retake, which resulted from hard work, so definitely possible :smile:

Ah, well done on your results none the less. :smile: The only reason I'm upset is because I was only 8 UMS off an A in English and I didn't get it due to other people's coursework moderation, I wasn't even part of the moderation sample and my marks went down. :frown:
Ah, well done on your results none the less. :smile: The only reason I'm upset is because I was only 8 UMS off an A in English and I didn't get it due to other people's coursework moderation, I wasn't even part of the moderation sample and my marks went down. :frown:

Thank you, ah! that's really unfortunate, but happens, just make sure that doesn't happen next year :smile: Coursework can be a bitch, and even when a teacher gives you a mark, the moderator always has the last laugh :mad: I was 1 ums off an A in my geology coursework D: but luckily it didn't affect me, but, that's unlucky my friend, either get it remarked or just work extra hard this year! :smile:
Thank you, ah! that's really unfortunate, but happens, just make sure that doesn't happen next year :smile: Coursework can be a bitch, and even when a teacher gives you a mark, the moderator always has the last laugh :mad: I was 1 ums off an A in my geology coursework D: but luckily it didn't affect me, but, that's unlucky my friend, either get it remarked or just work extra hard this year! :smile:

I would have much rather had the moderator decide my mark than it being lowered without even a glance. -_-. I can achieve an A without any sort of resist but I might re-do the coursework. You have to start over but can use the same texts so that might be something I will look into. As only a few of us will be doing it, the moderator will actually be looking at my work this time. So, either one. I'll just keep bugging my teachers on how to improve, like last time. :wink:
I would have much rather had the moderator decide my mark than it being lowered without even a glance. -_-. I can achieve an A without any sort of resist but I might re-do the coursework. You have to start over but can use the same texts so that might be something I will look into. As only a few of us will be doing it, the moderator will actually be looking at my work this time. So, either one. I'll just keep bugging my teachers on how to improve, like last time. :wink:

Haha, yes do it, good luck:smile: Re-doing coursework is probably the best thing to do :colondollar: It will give you the best chance of getting the A

Quick Reply

Latest