The Student Room Group

Ib Visual Art.. should i do it?

I'm starting iB this monday and i'm not too sure on whether i should do Visual Art or Environmental systems and Societies..

I haven't really done art that much before a part for about 3 years in school where it was compulsory. I didnt do it for GCSE. However i was never THAT bad at it i would say i was alright nothing special but okay.

Another thing is that i have heard amazing things about my visual art teacher in my college and ive heard she makes people do great

What do you think the chances are of me doing well?
Reply 1
Don't do Visual Arts I was in exactly the same position as you - no ART gcse, promised an amazing teacher at college etc. but it is my biggest regret so far on the IB (I am in my second year :smile: )

CONS: It is a MASSIVE amount of work for not very much in the end, seriously I tried to over estimate the work I was going to have and I failed -.- it is so so so so so much work!! It is also very subjective and hard to adhere to the criteria because you can do absolutely anything.

PROS: It is a creative outlet. Loads of my friends are like "I wish I did Art!", I think they miss the creativey bit. If your teacher is good then it makes it fun :biggrin: but it doesn't reduce the workload and can be a pain when they know everything and expect you to know everything as well - that has been my experience :/ my teacher is great but I can not relate at all!

On an academic level I have found it really hard going because I didn't do ART gcse. I didn't think this was much of a problem but it means I have very little knowledge of arty things which is VERY necessary for all the contextual stuff :frown:

My art has had some fun points but the CONS of too much work and not enough "know-how" mean that the experience has been mainly painful. (for both me and my parents who have to put up with my complaining :frown:)

Good luck with your choices! And good luck with IB!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending