The Student Room Group

What can I put on my application?

I'm about to start year 12 and I'm wondering what I can do to look good on my application or get UCAS points for when I apply to university. I'm thinking about applying for a medicine related course but I'm not entirely sure yet. The careers advisor at my school suggested I did some work experience but it's very difficult for medical careers. Does anyone have any ideas of what I could do to put on my application or anything that would really show my interest? And also how much do GCSEs matter on applications? I've heard so many different things! Thank you.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
If you want to do medicine (or anything medicine related) then it would be best to try and get work experience in this area. Try to volunteer at your local hospital or doctors practice. Failing that, any type of volunteering looks good. Try a charity like the British Heart Foundation or Cancer Research UK. It shows you are interested in these issues.

You can only get UCAS points from your grades so work hard! And GCSEs do matter a bit, some courses might want a B/C in maths/English and they might use GCSE grades to distinguish between you and another similar applicant but as long as you meet requirements, try not to worry about it too much.

You can even just take up an unrelated hobby. You can put it on your CV and personal statement, Universities like well-rounded students with hobbies and it will be fun :smile:
Reply 2
Ah thank you, we've had hardly any information at school! I did my bronze Duke of Edinburgh and I was told that that would get me UCAS points? Yeah I had a look and I think I'm taking the right subjects :smile: Thank you :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by naomi_tw
Ah thank you, we've had hardly any information at school! I did my bronze Duke of Edinburgh and I was told that that would get me UCAS points? Yeah I had a look and I think I'm taking the right subjects :smile: Thank you :smile:

I'm afraid not, I did Bronze and Silver and it earned me nothing except a badge and a small paragraph on my personal statement :tongue:

UCAS points are for grades you earn in your A levels/BTEC
the competition these days for Medicine is such that , if you go with NO work experience at all your application won;t even get past the first hurdle.

OP first of all - if applying for Medicine you need to have work experience. Lots of it. there's no denying that im afraid , recommended amount is 6-8 weeks.

you need Chemistry at A-level , and ( if your not stupid ) take Biology aswell. the other 2 A-levels are your choice.

i dont think UCAS Points matter OP , ALL medical schools want ATLEAST AAA in your A-levels ( some want A*AA ) so your offer will be based on grades , not ucas points.
Even the other exams such as music grades are only of use if it's a points offer that doesn't specify that the points must come from full A levels, and those that don't specify that are often courses for which the other qualifications are essential, such as a music degree with an element of practical in it.
Reply 6
Original post by SkinnyKat
If you want to do medicine (or anything medicine related) then it would be best to try and get work experience in this area. Try to volunteer at your local hospital or doctors practice. Failing that, any type of volunteering looks good. Try a charity like the British Heart Foundation or Cancer Research UK. It shows you are interested in these issues.

You can only get UCAS points from your grades so work hard! And GCSEs do matter a bit, some courses might want a B/C in maths/English and they might use GCSE grades to distinguish between you and another similar applicant but as long as you meet requirements, try not to worry about it too much.

You can even just take up an unrelated hobby. You can put it on your CV and personal statement, Universities like well-rounded students with hobbies and it will be fun :smile:

okay, I'll try and volunteer at a related charity if I can't get work experience first. :smile: I got 8 A*s and 3 As at GCSE but I've heard some universities look at your GCSEs more than others? thank you!
okay, I'll try and volunteer at a related charity if I can't get work experience first. :smile: I got 8 A*s and 3 As at GCSE but I've heard some universities look at your GCSEs more than others? thank you!

I think you really need to read the articles and stickies in here very carefully. Applying for medicine is a very complex process and you need to look at the issues very closely.
Reply 8
Original post by Fas
the competition these days for Medicine is such that , if you go with NO work experience at all your application won;t even get past the first hurdle.

OP first of all - if applying for Medicine you need to have work experience. Lots of it. there's no denying that im afraid , recommended amount is 6-8 weeks.

you need Chemistry at A-level , and ( if your not stupid ) take Biology aswell. the other 2 A-levels are your choice.

i dont think UCAS Points matter OP , ALL medical schools want ATLEAST AAA in your A-levels ( some want A*AA ) so your offer will be based on grades , not ucas points.

I've chosen biology, chemistry, maths and geography for AS but I found my OCR additional maths really really hard and I didn't know if I should take it but I read that you need maths as well to do medicine? Thank you!
Reply 9
I've chosen biology, chemistry, maths and geography for AS but I found my OCR additional maths really really hard and I didn't know if I should take it but I read that you need maths as well to do medicine? Thank you!

You don't need maths to do medicine, it counts as a science for Cambridge though so will only really apply there.

Only do maths if you're confident in your mathematical ability, I got a B at GCSE but an A at AS, if u work hard you will understand Maths A-level, if you don't you'll get C's D's E's and U's.

And only do maths if you want to do maths of course!

Look at university requirements for medicine on their websites. I'm sure you don't necessarily need maths but it helps a lot in your application. Maths is a very respected subject and very useful if you're going into medicine/science.

Like others have already said, medicine is very competitive. You need the highest grades in the hardest subjects as well as work experience and then you need to have the right type of personality for it. You have good GCSEs and if you really want to do medicine then you should try your best for it.

Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending