The Student Room Group

Private Candidate A Levels for Midwifery.

Hello-

So to cut a long story short, I am wanting to study Midwifery at university starting academic year September 2014.

My previous qualifications are all business-related, with no health or science nature at all.
I have emailed each university I am interested in to ask about entry requirements, to which they have said I should do an access course in midwifery/health etc, however my local college offers this at a costly price of £3300. Which I can't afford! So I thought it would make more sense to self-study A Levels, and I have found an exam centre which are willing to take me as a private candidate-but the A Levels must be exams only as I cannot take practicals or do coursework. The A Levels which are exams only and mostly related to midwifery are:

*Science in Society
*Mathematics
*Psychology

And they are all with AQA. I will take both the AS & A2 exams in summer 2014. I'm just wondering if I'm on the right track and they are reasonable A Levels to gain a place onto a midwifery course?
Original post by xtinalouise
Hello-

So to cut a long story short, I am wanting to study Midwifery at university starting academic year September 2014.

My previous qualifications are all business-related, with no health or science nature at all.
I have emailed each university I am interested in to ask about entry requirements, to which they have said I should do an access course in midwifery/health etc, however my local college offers this at a costly price of £3300. Which I can't afford! So I thought it would make more sense to self-study A Levels, and I have found an exam centre which are willing to take me as a private candidate-but the A Levels must be exams only as I cannot take practicals or do coursework. The A Levels which are exams only and mostly related to midwifery are:

*Science in Society
*Mathematics
*Psychology

And they are all with AQA. I will take both the AS & A2 exams in summer 2014. I'm just wondering if I'm on the right track and they are reasonable A Levels to gain a place onto a midwifery course?

If you want to know some other options then Sociology, Religious Studies and Law are probably also related.
Aside from that your subjects look good.

However, If I were you i'd would go onto some university websites and check the entry requirements for your course. I would surprised if Biology is not a requirement, so you will need to check that.
If it is required then perhaps you could email the university and ask if there are any exceptions of some kind, or something they would accept in place of it.
Reply 2
Biology is often a requirement for midwifery. I know at Leeds Uni for 2014 entry it is ABB with an A in A2 biology. I think you'll have a hard time getting on to a midwifery course without biology.
You will need conventional science A levels - 'Science in Society' is not enough.
Coventry has one of the lowest entry requirements - and even they require BCC including Biology or Human Biology as a minimum, plus 5 GCSEs at grade C or above including English & Maths.

Realistically you will also need some practical experience (voluntary or paid) in a health care setting (Care Home, Special School etc) to show that you can cope with the demands of the course - you can clear up other people's vomit and can deal with upset/unreasonable people even when you are knackered.

Quick Reply

Latest