The Student Room Group

Hello Free Weights

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
There isn't really much of an update from last week. I've been struggling with going deep enough when squatting. I've been told that this may be because I have tight hips. I need to get a foam roller to hopefully help out with this.

Original post by KingGym
please tell me you dont do this in 1 workout and what are your sets/what other things do you do

Currently I do (everything is 3 sets of between 8-12 reps depending on the weight):

Assisted chin ups

Bench Press

Squats

Deadlifts

Push Press/Kettlebell Swings/Plank single-arm row (I think that's what it's called)

And I swim once a week or try to do HIIT on the treadmill
Reply 21
Original post by redbenzene
I love your motivation and progress! Just keep at it and you will reach your goals!

Have you considered a low carb meal plan, its not a diet but it does wonders, i personally lost 2.5 stone over the past two years along with weight training and Brazilian JiuJitsu.

Brazilian JiuJitsu is an addictive martial art and will definitly give you a great hobby, and help with your fitness levels enabling you to do challenges such as Tough Mudder.

Eating right does a lot more than help you lose weight, if your interested in a good meal plan just give me a message would love to help out :smile:

(ActiveIQ qualified Fitness Instrctor)

Thanks. I certainly don't feel that motivated as I feel I could be doing more cardio.

I've been told to take a look at carb cycling as that will give me a bit of a balance between low carb and high carb. I think a low carb meal plan would feel too restrictive for me so I want to ease myself in a bit with carb cycling, but I'll definitely message you if I feel ready to go low carb. Thanks!
Reply 22
Again not much to update on. I've made progress with my assisted chin ups and deadlifts. My bench press is still the same.
My flexibility and hips have really gotten in the way of my squats and my form was really bad. So I've been told to focus on using the leg press machine instead to build my leg strength and then return to squatting, which is a shame as I was really enjoying squatting - just not the hip pain.
Reply 23
So I'm back to squatting. I've been doing goblet squats or using a bench behind me to help me squat lower.

I've changed up my routine a bit and am doing some TRX exercises instead of the bench press. It's definitely a lot more fun and I'm surprised at how determined I am to improve.

I've also started doing single leg deadlifts which I love. I've really been feeling them for a few days after, and it's nice to see how much my core strength has improved compared to when I first started.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
A few new achievements:

I am finally squatting properly now - only bodyweight though at the moment.

I've been foam rolling a lot more, which seems to be helping.

I can now do three sets of knee planks for a minute each

I am finally starting to get the hang of walking lunges

Quick Reply

Latest