The Student Room Group

Re-sit y12 or go to y13

Recently I received my exam results back:

Biology - E
English Language - C
Sociology - D
Chemistry - U

I have spoken with teachers and they think that I should carry on to A-Level and just see what I get after that. But I am stuck with the dilemma that not only will I have loads of my most important exams in June, but also re-sitting Biology Unit 1 and Biology Unit 2 from AS. If I go back to year 12 and do worse I am stuck as I wont want to carry on to A Level if I have done even worse.. but if I carry on to A Level what are my predicted grades going to be? How limited am I going to be in applying to university. As you can see, this is a problem and I am unable to make a decision that needs to be made quickly :frown::frown::confused::confused:
I say resit. It will be difficult to get even 3 bs
Reply 2
I was in the same predicament as U I got an abcce but decided not to carry on and am resorting yr 12. U have to think in the longterm as to be brutally honest limits your chances of getting into a good uni and get a reasonable to high paid job. However being high paid my not be something u really care about. Also u have to think if u think this is ur full potential and even if u repeated a gazillion times u would get the same grades then carry on but if u believe u can massively improve then I recommend u resit yr 12.
(edited 10 years ago)
Best to resit Yr 12.

They told me the same to just carry on see the outcome but I wished I resat instead.

Because when it comes to your teachers choosing predicted grades, they can be lenient, but not so that it seems unrealistic to achieve. If you know what went wrong and learn from it, you can prevent it and try again :smile:
Reply 4
You're most likely going to predicted a grade up from what you got. (but this changes per school and usually depending on what ums you got too) So i expect youre going to be predicted BCCE, maybe BBCE considering youre resitting biology modules. Why is it only biology you're resitting, if i may ask? You can of course get higher than what youre predicted, but when applying to uni's, they will only see what you have at AS and predicted grades.

In terms of your limitation, that really depends on where you want to go and what you want to study!

i also dont see you doing worse if you resat the year, as you know the content to an extent already, and with motivation, planning and revision you can the desired grades you want this time around. But of course, if you dont want to resit and instead want to improve your grades in A2 that is entirely possibly too, depending on what youre aiming for!

Quick Reply

Latest