The Student Room Group

Running away from Uni to Germany

I'm due to start University in two weeks. I've had 5 years of depression and won't fit in with the younger naive, childish students there. I'm 21 in 4 days. I'm not compatible to make any friends there for many reasons I will not expound here. I'm considering using the Student loan money (I get the maximum amount because of my low income household) to run away to Germany. I can speak some German already and I yearn for a new start, a new life away from this country. I'll go straight to say Berlin for example, find a job and earn my own money to start the life I want to live. If I end up begging for money on the streets then so be it. The thrill of being in a thriving environment, watching tourists pass by. The diversity of it all is enough to make this dream a reality. I have so many problems and their solutions can only be found in the hardest of times. Being this person in Germany will compel me to change and enhance myself - even if this means being homeless for some time - I will have purified my mind from the corruption I face living where I do now. The people at university are too simple for me. They are so like children and I want to be apart of something raw - something life threatening because it is in these moments where my true identity is found. Such hard times will show me of my skills and limitations and turn me into something special - much like a monk who meditates for long periods of time. To transcend into the deeper regions of existence - living life on the edge. I will sit inside a university dormitory watching my life pass me by when I could be discovering Europe and finding my destiny - which may be death, which may not. I accept any outcome whatever it may be.
Yeah. Someone's been reading much too much Hemingway.

Why not resolve to be a role model for the 'Children' instead?

M.A
Reply 2
What makes you think everyone at uni is childish and below you? a lot of people aren't even 18, and even if they are its not a massive difference in terms of years alive. So do you just feel more mature and experienced than other people or what?
If you're problems can only be found in the hardest of times, does not fitting in with people count as quite hard? And why do you feel you have to do something so drastic to discover yourself.
I'm not trying to criticise and I know how hard it can be to feel like you don't fit in and indeed be depressed, I'm just trying to further understand your situation and work out exactly why you want to do this first.
Reply 3
Germany will be just like the UK
Completely ignoring the fact that if you take a student loan and then don't go to uni the loans company will be hunting you down to get their money back....
Reply 5
OP I am not kidding, I want to do the exact same thing. I don't want to go back for my final year. All I want to do is work In a bookshop in Berlin. Let's just do It ! I'm 21 and male, i've got 2k savings and ill have more from my loan instalment. I'm a massive pessimist and I am socially awkward, PM ME !
Reply 6
Original post by Mr Aitch
Yeah. Someone's been reading much too much Hemingway.

Why not resolve to be a role model for the 'Children' instead?

M.A

I am found within an imbroglio of extemporaneousness due to my bucolic environment. You speak of children as a cynosure - Perhaps it is my illusive inebriety that necessitates a taciturn though sagacious insight on my life.
Reply 7
Woooo because being a poor bozo in the streets is sooo much better than an a boring education with simple minded people!
If this isn't a troll...

This is your depression talking.
Reply 9
If ure serious, I'd put some money aside just in case u want to come home, u know for a flight back to the UK.
Auf wiedersehen, mein herr.
I know this thread is essentially closed now, but I recently went to Berlin a few weeks back (I've been touring Europe, onto Poland now!) and it is hardly any different from UK, yes their economy is flourishing, but there are a lot of racist people in Germany, I only met one English person in my entire stay and they were working in a bakery shop with a German relative who seemed to hate their own family, I wouldn't go, if I were you. Social anxiety can be overcome, with therapy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending