The Student Room Group

Any suggestions for social science dissertation !?

Hi guys!

So I'm going into my third year and haveto decide on a dissertation topic, scary! I'm going with restorative justice and in particular, the use of it with youths and the use of it in schools. However, I've got to come up with a specific focus and this is where I'm getting a bit lost! Does anyone have any realistic suggestions that I could use to conduct my research? My ideas are some what unrealistic and not very viable! Any help would be amazing!
Keep it simple. An undergrad dissertation does not have to say anything wildly new or astonishing. All you have to show is that you understand the basics of formulating a research question, gathering primary and/or secondary material together and forming it into a coherent argument. You are not writing a PhD thesis.

Be realistic. Most schools/colleges will be very reluctant to let you anywhere near their students to conduct primary research (enormous ethical and privacy issues) and the police likewise. So, you will have to look at this purely from the angle of the material (academic journal articles etc) that has already been produced on the topic. Do you agree with them? Is there one angle you can question and explore an alternative viewpoint? Could you look 'sideways' at it - how is it portrayed in the media?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending