The Student Room Group

a level grades

Is it still possible to get an A overall if I got a C in English this year at as.......
Reply 1
It's possible but it's unlikely. For example, 60% UMS = C. You need an average of 80% over all for the two years for an A but to do that you need 100% in your A2's, which would actually give you an A*.

So you're either gonna get C, B or A*. Obviously the higher the C, you'll be able to achieve an A without jumping it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
It's definitely possible. This website might be useful to you... http://umstools.sourceforge.net/demo/www/index.php?p=calculator&target=gce
Reply 3
Original post by Paralove
It's possible but it's unlikely. For example, 60% UMS = C. You need an average of 80% over all for the two years for an A but to do that you need 100% in your A2's, which would actually give you an A*.

So you're either gonna get C, B or A*. Obviously the higher the C, you'll be able to achieve an A without jumping it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

To get an A* you need to get an A at AS then 90% overall in A2 :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by RemyLeigh
To get an A* you need to get an A at AS then 90% overall in A2 :smile:

You don't need an A at AS, as long as your AS+A2 UMS = 80% then you get an A over all, and if your A2 only = 90% you get an A*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Paralove
You don't need an A at AS, as long as your AS+A2 UMS = 80% then you get an A over all, and if your A2 only = 90% you get an A*

Posted from TSR Mobile

Previously you said that mimbekircan could get an A* overall with a C at AS, but the requirement for an A* is an A at AS, then 90% overall for the A2 modules. That was what I was trying to clarify :smile:
Reply 6
Previously you said that mimbekircan could get an A* overall with a C at AS, but the requirement for an A* is an A at AS, then 90% overall for the A2 modules. That was what I was trying to clarify :smile:

Perhaps this is only on the exam board I'm on, but you don't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7

No it is not. It is an A overall and 90% at A2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Say if I got a solid C in AS, A good B in one unit but a low mark on the other C/D is it possible to resit that and get an A overall?
Reply 9
Original post by not_a_dog
No it is not. It is an A overall and 90% at A2.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah so...

A at AS + 90% at A2 = A*
Reply 10
Original post by yodawg321
Say if I got a solid C in AS, A good B in one unit but a low mark on the other C/D is it possible to resit that and get an A overall?

Not sure if you can re-do your coursework, but you can resit the exam which is 40% of your overall grade for AS (this is AQA btw)
Reply 11
Yeah so...

A at AS + 90% at A2 = A*

That would be an A*, but so would a B at AS (70%) and 90% at A2, giving an overall average of 80%.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, I'm sure it is, I went from D to a high B in a subject, but I resit a module, doing that may make it easier for you to get an A :smile:
Reply 13
Yeah so...

A at AS + 90% at A2 = A*

You don't need an A at AS to get an A* overall. You need an average of 80% (which is an A) over AS and A2, as well as 90% in your A2 modules. Say you got 70% in AS (a low B), then you got 90% in A2, you'd have 80% overall, and an A*. As you can see, you don't need to get an A at AS to get an A* at A level.
Reply 14
Original post by ChrissM
You don't need an A at AS to get an A* overall. You need an average of 80% (which is an A) over AS and A2, as well as 90% in your A2 modules. Say you got 70% in AS (a low B), then you got 90% in A2, you'd have 80% overall, and an A*. As you can see, you don't need to get an A at AS to get an A* at A level.

I'm confused now since this says different: http://www.rewardinglearning.org.uk/docs/quals/admin/astar_at_alevel.pdf
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15

That says exactly what I told you. Nowhere in that article does it mention getting 80% at AS is necessary to get an A*. It only says 80% over AS and A2 is necessary, as well as getting 90% over A2 modules.
Reply 16
So, if I got BBC in the three subjects I'm taking for A2, is it impossible to get AAA at the end?
Reply 17
Original post by La_Bilbo
So, if I got BBC in the three subjects I'm taking for A2, is it impossible to get AAA at the end?

No. It's entirely possible to get three A's but of course it's whether your teachers predict these grades a unis will look at this as well as your AS grades and it's not a likely a uni asking for AAA will make an offer on your grades if your teachers won't predict you that.

You will have to work very hard though, particularly to get the C to an A. It may be easier if you retake a few modules to push the AS grade up so you have some give in your A2 i.e. you won't have to get such high percentages/scores.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest