The Student Room Group

Keele Medicine Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hi guys I'm an international applicant :biggrin:
what's this top 100 academic students all about? :P
do they just get offers without interview or something?
I am so worried because the competition is just getting higher higher every year! :/
Original post by studnetMo
Well Keele is certainly a better option if you got a B in chem because it isn't required at A level so it might mean it isn't as highly regarded. (emphasis on might :tongue:)

" Three A-level subjects are required. Of these, Chemistry or Biology is essential, plus one subject from Chemistry, Biology, Physics or Mathematics, plus one further rigorous academic subject if only two sciences are offered. In addition a fourth AS-level grade B or above is required. Maths with Further Maths or Biology/Human Biology with PE will not be accepted in combination. If Chemistry is not taken at A-level, it must be offered at AS-level, grade B minimum. General Studies, Critical Thinking and applied subjects are not accepted. If only two sciences are offered, the science subjects not offered at AS/A-level are required at GCSE level, grade B or above. "

is my B in chem really going to affect my medical school applications? Also should I declare my grades or not.
Are these A levels ok?

A*- law
A- Chemistry
A- maths
B- biology
Reply 43
Original post by MedicalMaureen
is my B in chem really going to affect my medical school applications? Also should I declare my grades or not.

It is still certainly still worth applying if you really want to study medicine. However it will be a bit of an uphill struggle with a B in chemistry. Medical schools really do think highly of chemistry at A level. But as I said if you are really passionate about studying medicine a brilliant personal statement would really help your cause! :biggrin:
Original post by panjabiflower
Are these A levels ok?

A*- law
A- Chemistry
A- maths
B- biology

They should be fine really. You've met their academic requirement
Reply 45
Decided to take other choices even though I loved Keele at the open day, but good luck to the rest of you! Smash that PS :smile:
Original post by madgene
Hi guys I'm an international applicant :biggrin:
what's this top 100 academic students all about? :P
do they just get offers without interview or something?
I am so worried because the competition is just getting higher higher every year! :/

another international student! what are your stats?
Reply 47
another international student! what are your stats?

Hi!

IGCSE: 5A*s 7As
AS: AAAB Maths, biology, economics and chemistry. (I'm remarking my chemistry and still waiting :P)
A2 Predicted: A*AAA
UKCAT: 2420 (604 AVG)

I have two medical internships and some volunteer things. :smile:
Original post by yoyox120
7A*S, 2As and 2Bs at GCSE.
4A's and a B at A level in Physics Chem Bio Arabic then the B in maths.
EPQ predicted A*, oncology related.
5A* predictions for my A2's.
Work experience at a dental surgery, hospital and voluntary work for a year at the hospital.

You have to have done the UKCAT also for Keele!
Reply 49
LOL I really hope I'm in the top 100, otherwise not really sure if my PS will cut it..
Reply 50
Hey guys!! I'm thinking to also apply for keele, scared though cos i think my stats are quite low :frown:

GCSEs: 1A*6As 3Bs and 1 Merit for OCR Nationals ICT (my school tricked me into thinking it was an actual gcse -_-)
AS: BBCC in Maths, French (dropping) , Biology and Chemistry
UKCAT: um..just over 600.....
Predictions: Probably an A in chemistry cos my teacher thinks I can get it and not too sure about the rest...

Are Keele personal statement heavy? cos i've done quite a lot this year that could help me (volunteering, work exp, brilliant club etc)
Original post by madgene
Hi!

IGCSE: 5A*s 7As
AS: AAAB Maths, biology, economics and chemistry. (I'm remarking my chemistry and still waiting :P)
A2 Predicted: A*AAA
UKCAT: 2420 (604 AVG)

I have two medical internships and some volunteer things. :smile:

Those are brilliant results :smile: Well done

Where are you from?
I have a little bit of a dilemma. I cannot decide between Keele and St Georges for Medicine. Which do you recommend with
3A* and 6As at IGCSE
AABb in AS

and I haven't done my UKCAT yet.
Original post by RachHill
Hey guys!! I'm thinking to also apply for keele, scared though cos i think my stats are quite low :frown:

GCSEs: 1A*6As 3Bs and 1 Merit for OCR Nationals ICT (my school tricked me into thinking it was an actual gcse -_-)
AS: BBCC in Maths, French (dropping) , Biology and Chemistry
UKCAT: um..just over 600.....
Predictions: Probably an A in chemistry cos my teacher thinks I can get it and not too sure about the rest...

Are Keele personal statement heavy? cos i've done quite a lot this year that could help me (volunteering, work exp, brilliant club etc)

Keeke look at the whole application holistically, so they would consider the PS probably a bit more than the majority of medical schools. Saying that, you have to have met their academic requirements. They also look at the reference I believe, so make sure you have a good one! With the PS, make sure you're talking about what the unis want you to, otherwise its pointless, and I know for a fact that there's not a single uni that will only look for work experience and volunteering
I have a little bit of a dilemma. I cannot decide between Keele and St Georges for Medicine. Which do you recommend with
3A* and 6As at IGCSE
AABb in AS

and I haven't done my UKCAT yet.

Get your UKCAT done before you decide anything. If you get a good one eg 670 with 600+ in every section, then you're pretty much guaranteed an interview at St George's
Reply 54
Those are brilliant results :smile: Well done

Where are you from?

I'm from Korea!
Hows ur stats? :smile: and hows your PS going!
Original post by madgene
I'm from Korea!
Hows ur stats? :smile: and hows your PS going!

Awesome!:smile:

my stats are pretty mediocre.

IGCSE - 3A*S and 6As
AS- AABB.

I haven't done my ukcat yet. what other universities are you applying to?
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Keeke look at the whole application holistically, so they would consider the PS probably a bit more than the majority of medical schools. Saying that, you have to have met their academic requirements. They also look at the reference I believe, so make sure you have a good one! With the PS, make sure you're talking about what the unis want you to, otherwise its pointless, and I know for a fact that there's not a single uni that will only look for work experience and volunteering

Get your UKCAT done before you decide anything. If you get a good one eg 670 with 600+ in every section, then you're pretty much guaranteed an interview at St George's

I know all medical schools are extremely difficult to get into. But which one would be easier?
Reply 57
Do we need to declare our unit grades for Keele?
I know all medical schools are extremely difficult to get into. But which one would be easier?

Well Keele has a better interview:redface:ffer ratio, but if you get a good UKCAT, you're more likely to get an interview from St George's
Original post by Tinuviel
Do we need to declare our unit grades for Keele?

Not as far as I'm aware
Reply 59
Original post by mynameisntbobk

Thanks, this really helped, I know that they won't only look for work exp + volunteering, but there are things i've done that can boost my application a little bit :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending