The Student Room Group

Keele Medicine Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 660
Got an interview for 29th of January, anyone else? So unexpected!!! So little time to prepare ahhh. Anyone know what keele's MMI is like?
Original post by reddoor
Got an interview for 29th of January, anyone else? So unexpected!!! So little time to prepare ahhh. Anyone know what keele's MMI is like?

Congratulations, mine is that week too :smile:

What questions do you think they'll ask you in each of the sections? We could put our own perspective here.

From what I've read, the MMI stations are okay, did you go to the open day?
Reply 662
Original post by medical nurse

What questions do you think they'll ask you in each of the sections? We could put our own perspective here.

Fished this off the Keele university website, hope this is helpful :smile:
http://www.keele.ac.uk/media/keeleuniversity/fachealth/fachealthmed/pdfs/interviewdocumentation/The%20Interview.pdf
Reply 663
Original post by CallumBarker1994
Thanks for all your help :smile: anyone else please feel free to offer your opinion!

AAA also very important for Cardiff who place great emphasis on GCSEs and A2s but absolutely none on AS results
Original post by Dr Gin
AAA also very important for Cardiff who place great emphasis on GCSEs and A2s but absolutely none on AS results

Looking at Cardiff as we speak! I think with my GCSE's Liverpool would be another good option.
It's so hard to get an understanding of what a 'standard' application is. I know this is bound to be hard to come by, but a general guide would be so useful. The Uni websites only give the min requirements whilst the student room is full of super keen super intelligent machines.
Really appreciate the reply cheers :biggrin:
Reply 665
Original post by CallumBarker1994
Looking at Cardiff as we speak! I think with my GCSE's Liverpool would be another good option.
It's so hard to get an understanding of what a 'standard' application is. I know this is bound to be hard to come by, but a general guide would be so useful. The Uni websites only give the min requirements whilst the student room is full of super keen super intelligent machines.
Really appreciate the reply cheers :biggrin:

I would say that applications have really started to polarise into academic/swotty versus humanistic/PS based. It is very hard to apply to and appeal to both genres so you may need to decide what your strengths are up-front and just apply to one type (that way your application/PS will appeal to all your choices instead of half thinking you're fab whilst the other half read you as a complete numpty). You would need to visit any possible choices and ask ridiculously clear questions about your chances; my bottom line was "will you read the personal statement based on this academic record?" (6 A*'s and AAAA AS) and for some, such as Cardiff, it was a "no"; they specifically said "come back to us with AAA" and "we appreciate applicants spending an extra year becoming certain that medicine is right for them". Individual university research is the answer, dull and boring but worth it's weight in gold...
Original post by Dr Gin
I would say that applications have really started to polarise into academic/swotty versus humanistic/PS based. It is very hard to apply to and appeal to both genres so you may need to decide what your strengths are up-front and just apply to one type (that way your application/PS will appeal to all your choices instead of half thinking you're fab whilst the other half read you as a complete numpty). You would need to visit any possible choices and ask ridiculously clear questions about your chances; my bottom line was "will you read the personal statement based on this academic record?" (6 A*'s and AAAA AS) and for some, such as Cardiff, it was a "no"; they specifically said "come back to us with AAA" and "we appreciate applicants spending an extra year becoming certain that medicine is right for them". Individual university research is the answer, dull and boring but worth it's weight in gold...

Thanks for that. Cardiff seems very suited to me. AAAb in Bio Chem Math Physics and 8A*'s and 3A's at GCSE. Solid but not special at all for a medicine applicant, so like you say I'd probably be best going for the more humanistic based. That said a lot could depend on my UKCAT score.

Where do you study or have you graduated?
Anyone received offers for the 6 year course yet?
Reply 668
Original post by Yozozo
Thanks so much! My interview is on 28th January at like 3pm

hey! i also have an interview for the 28th! what time is yours? and how are you preparing for it? Good luck! :smile:
Reply 669
Any interviews given today?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 670
Original post by medical nurse

I honestly can't think what exactly but I have a feeling it will be somewhere along the lines of a mixture of role play where you have to diffuse a situation and then ethical scenarios and things like that. Yeah I went to the open day. I liked the medical school itself. However I'm a bit worried that the social aspects of things won't be as good. Also I looked at some of the accommodation and it was absolutely terrible. I didn't get to look at the new premier en-suites though so I'm hoping they'll be nicer. Did you? Does anyone know what the rest of the accommodation at keele is like?
Original post by reddoor

I have an interview for 29th Jan as well, what time is yours?
Interview on the 29th too! So scared. Reapplicant! First ever interview! Anyone have any idea or tips for te mmi??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 673
Original post by reddoor
I honestly can't think what exactly but I have a feeling it will be somewhere along the lines of a mixture of role play where you have to diffuse a situation and then ethical scenarios and things like that. Yeah I went to the open day. I liked the medical school itself. However I'm a bit worried that the social aspects of things won't be as good. Also I looked at some of the accommodation and it was absolutely terrible. I didn't get to look at the new premier en-suites though so I'm hoping they'll be nicer. Did you? Does anyone know what the rest of the accommodation at keele is like?

I am current medic at Keele University. Just wanted to tell you the night life is really fun, because there are few people in your year, you get to know people better and you also meet various people from joining societies. We have lots of medics nights out to Newcastle under Lyme with medics of every year. I know the accommodation looks bad but I have a premier en-suite in Lindsay Court and it's very comfortable. I have a small double bed, a nice shower and great view. I know other medics in Lindsay Hall, Horwood, the Oaks and Barnes who are happy with their accommodation. Keele wasn't my first choice but now I would put it first If I had to choose again. The course is set up so well, the medical school gives you great support and want you to succeed. No one last year in first year failed/dropped out. Few universities achieve that. We don't sit all days in lectures, we open a case at the beginning of the week i.e. someone gets stabbed (haha there is more drama than Eastenders).

Because Keele is quieter it allows you to get your head down and do the hard work that is required to survive the demanding degree that is medicine. But it also really allows you to 'play hard' as well as work hard with the awesome medics and other students at the union. Keele's student union is the 5th best in the UK. In the last few months we had Tinie Tempah, Rudimental, Professor Green and DJ Fresh. Anyways best of luck to you all on your medicine applications!

My best advice would be to remember to look up the course of your chosen medical schools because it's one thing to get in but completely another to enjoy the course. 5 years is a long time. So it's important you find one that suits you and prepares you the best for being a doctor. Keele does this perfectly for me.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 674
Has anyone had any offers from Keele?

Also, I'm an amateur boxer and that's not something I want to give up when I go to uni so does keele have any boxing clubs going or at least any boxing club nearby?
Reply 675
Original post by issy2
why do you think it went badly? I've also had an interview at Keele and have no idea what to think about how it went - so hard to judge with mmi!

I think I just let the nerves get the better of me...and I totally blanked out for a bit before I gave an incoherent answer haha ah well..will have to wait and see! When did you have your interview?
Reply 676
Original post by yoyox120
Has anyone had any offers from Keele?

Also, I'm an amateur boxer and that's not something I want to give up when I go to uni so does keele have any boxing clubs going or at least any boxing club nearby?

not yet, and the wait is so frustrating >.<.....give me my rejection already! aha
Hi everyone,
Got an interview at Keele on the 4th of Feb :smile:
Got an interview for the 4th of February today! :smile:
Congrats guys, all the best with the interviews :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending