The Student Room Group

Keele Medicine Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Secret.
On the day we were told each station is equally weighted so a good performance in others can make up for a bad performance in a few :biggrin:

Ahh thanks that's reassuring!!! Good luck to you
Original post by reddoor
I think its at least 2 hours from sheffield depending on the traffic and route. I've been watching mmi interviews on youtube. Reading questions online, etc. What I'm really worried about is the role play situation that might/probably will come up. I always freeze up in those sorts of situations, especially because they aren't in the real setting. I'm also worried about clinical data handling! How are you preparing?

Well I'm using this book for preparation, it's actually good. I watched some YouTube videos as well but didn't really find them that helpful as there wasn't that much feedback on the candidates replied on questions. I'm SOOO worried about the role play too, and it probably will come up as it's specified in the email they sent. For the role play it's probably useful to do certain scenarios with friends/family.

Posted from TSR Mobile
To the guys who have already had their interviews, are the stations specifically 5 mins long each, or are they sometimes shorter/longer. I'm really worried about the timing because I feel it won't be long enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BristolScientist
There's this link on the website:
http://www.keele.ac.uk/media/keeleuniversity/fachealth/fachealthmed/pdfs/interviewdocumentation/Local%20Accommodation.pdf

I'm staying at the last one, Keele Management Centre as it's only a 10-15min walk away from the uni and I don't have a car. If you do have a car I reckon around stoke on trent centre would be good too! Hope that helps!

Thanks, the link is very helpful!!
Reply 784
I have applied for Medicine at Keele University, with a health foundation year, i have yet to hear anything from the university, this cannot be a good sign ? or do you recon they are still getting through applications?

Regards

KJ
Original post by adpeto
Aw I'm sure your liverpool interview didn't go as badly as you would have thought! I just got a rejection from leeds, so two in the bag now! And yes liverpool did reject me but I have no obligations from taking a gap year if need be.
Good luck for your interview, know it's this week, hope it goes well for you:smile:

Oh ok, stay positive! Thank you, it's tomorrow!:eek: Will let you know how it goes :smile:
Reply 786
Are there any more interviews to be given? if so when's the be t batch after those given out already for early feb?
Original post by mubashir9995
To the guys who have already had their interviews, are the stations specifically 5 mins long each, or are they sometimes shorter/longer. I'm really worried about the timing because I feel it won't be long enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They are timed yes, I had my interview at Keele today :smile:, you get shown where to to wait etc so try not to worry. I obviously can't tell you anything about the interview as it will give everyone else an unfair advantage over others who have already been interviewed.

Original post by PreMEDKJ
I have applied for Medicine at Keele University, with a health foundation year, i have yet to hear anything from the university, this cannot be a good sign ? or do you recon they are still getting through applications?

Regards

KJ

It seems that everyone has been getting two weeks notice for an invite for interview, this is the automated e-mail that they sent out to me after initially receiving my application:

"We have received approximately 1950 applications for A100 (5 year MBChB degree) and 150 applications for A104 (Health Foundation Year for Medicine) and are now in the process of assessing them".

They suggested today that they were interviewing approximately 20 applicants for the A104 from what one of the interviewees asked at the end. They will not send out decisions until they have interviewed all of the A104 candidates and collated the information. This is expected to be towards the end of February from what admissions staff suggested to us today. I know the wait is hard but try to be patient and optimistic, you'll hear of a decision soon.
Original post by medical nurse
They are timed yes, I had my interview at Keele today :smile:, you get shown where to to wait etc so try not to worry. I obviously can't tell you anything about the interview as it will give everyone else an unfair advantage over others who have already been interviewed.

It seems that everyone has been getting two weeks notice for an invite for interview, this is the automated e-mail that they sent out to me after initially receiving my application:

"We have received approximately 1950 applications for A100 (5 year MBChB degree) and 150 applications for A104 (Health Foundation Year for Medicine) and are now in the process of assessing them".

They suggested today that they were interviewing approximately 20 applicants for the A104 from what one of the interviewees asked at the end. They will not send out decisions until they have interviewed all of the A104 candidates and collated the information. This is expected to be towards the end of February from what admissions staff suggested to us today. I know the wait is hard but try to be patient and optimistic, you'll hear of a decision soon.

How was your interview? :smile:

Were you told when you'd be likely to hear back regarding offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hamzah_1992
How was your interview? :smile:

Were you told when you'd be likely to hear back regarding offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You never can tell how it goes because you don't know what they're looking for answer wise. I felt it went well, there were stations that I thoroughly enjoyed and one that I felt maybe didn't go as well as others. The first one I had, I didn't like the theme of but that was because of personal reasons and nothing else. I'm choosing my words carefully so as not to give anything away ;-)

Overall, I enjoyed it to be honest and just hope that I impressed them enough for them to offer me a place (as does everyone). If they don't, then someone obviously did a lot better or I let myself down and may not have put my point across as well as I thought I had. However, whoever gets an offer has done really well and deserves all the congratulations going.

A100 will hear back sooner we think, they're only offering A104 places to 10 people so it's very competitive. In view of the high number of applicants to the number of people invited for interview we all deserve a pat on our back for getting as far as the interview stage.

Keele is amazing. I will be very fortunate if I am able to go there. How about you, how's your progress with all of your UCAS choices?
Original post by PreMEDKJ

Regards

KJ

I called admissions last week and spoke to a lady who said they'd only interviewed 10 people so far for the foundation course. They would interview at least 20 more, maybe 30 - they hadn't finalised numbers. She said they'd have it sorted 'in a week or two'. So it's not all over yet! Desperate to hear something now...
Reply 791
This will appeal to all gap students !!

From the guys who have had interviews in gap years did they ask u specifically what u were doing in it?

Got it tom would be helpful to get a reply

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any advice for my interview tomorrow? Very very nervous and know very little about it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by medical nurse
You never can tell how it goes because you don't know what they're looking for answer wise. I felt it went well, there were stations that I thoroughly enjoyed and one that I felt maybe didn't go as well as others. The first one I had, I didn't like the theme of but that was because of personal reasons and nothing else. I'm choosing my words carefully so as not to give anything away ;-)

Overall, I enjoyed it to be honest and just hope that I impressed them enough for them to offer me a place (as does everyone). If they don't, then someone obviously did a lot better or I let myself down and may not have put my point across as well as I thought I had. However, whoever gets an offer has done really well and deserves all the congratulations going.

A100 will hear back sooner we think, they're only offering A104 places to 10 people so it's very competitive. In view of the high number of applicants to the number of people invited for interview we all deserve a pat on our back for getting as far as the interview stage.

Keele is amazing. I will be very fortunate if I am able to go there. How about you, how's your progress with all of your UCAS choices?

Sounds like you did well :biggrin: and same, I felt it went well, but I also feel there were areas I could have done better (but I guess that's just natural!). Like you said, if was definitely a very enjoyable experience - once you get past the nerves of the first station. And yes, certainly, to even get a medical school interview is a fantastic achievement with the sheer competitiveness of it all.

I really loved Keele too, the campus, course and facilities seem amazing. Just really want the misery of waiting to be over! I've had two rejections pre-interview, and two interviews at Keele and Swansea. So I'm all done now, just waiting for the main replies :O how about yourself? Also, were you told at your keele interview the likely timeline for replies? Early Jan people were told late Jan/early Feb

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 794
Original post by BoiledEggAndJam
I called admissions last week and spoke to a lady who said they'd only interviewed 10 people so far for the foundation course. They would interview at least 20 more, maybe 30 - they hadn't finalised numbers. She said they'd have it sorted 'in a week or two'. So it's not all over yet! Desperate to hear something now...

Ahhh good, i was going to ring but i didn't want to seem too desperate as probably hundreds of people have rang them :') But thats good news, just have to hold out with fingers crossed eeeeeeeeek :biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 795
Hi,
I've applied for medicine at Keele and haven't heard anything back yet. Does anyone know if many interviews have been given out for the A100 course and what the final interview dates are. My GCSE's and UKCAT aren't very good so im not getting my hopes up (4xA's 5xB's D* BTEC and UKCAT= 2660) Do you reckon I have a chance of getting an interview? :smile:
Original post by Mikey77
Hi,
I've applied for medicine at Keele and haven't heard anything back yet. Does anyone know if many interviews have been given out for the A100 course and what the final interview dates are. My GCSE's and UKCAT aren't very good so im not getting my hopes up (4xA's 5xB's D* BTEC and UKCAT= 2660) Do you reckon I have a chance of getting an interview? :smile:

I'm a graduate applicant so I'm not sure about GCSE requirements for school leavers, but what I do know is that Keele interview approx 500 - 100 of which are the top ranking academics, and the other 400 based on PS and reference (as long as minimum requirements are met). Also, with regards to UKCAT, keele only take it in to consideration post-interview if they have to choose between borderline candidates. They interview up until March, so if you haven't heard yet, it's not game over :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 797
Original post by hamzah_1992
I'm a graduate applicant so I'm not sure about GCSE requirements for school leavers, but what I do know is that Keele interview approx 500 - 100 of which are the top ranking academics, and the other 400 based on PS and reference (as long as minimum requirements are met). Also, with regards to UKCAT, keele only take it in to consideration post-interview if they have to choose between borderline candidates. They interview up until March, so if you haven't heard yet, it's not game over :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I've been rejected from 2 uni's already and was starting to lose hope a bit... but this sounds promising :smile:
When should you start practising for the MMI? How long does it generally take? and are there any books that are helpful? thanks
Original post by BoiledEggAndJam

I had my interview at Keele yesterday and the admissions department told us that they were only interviewing 20 people for the Health Foundation Year (A104). Perhaps they've finalised the figures since they spoke to you last week, or they may not realise how many they're actually interviewing. The admin side of the interview yesterday was very structured and it was all the ladies from admissions that were showing us which stations to go to etc so I would hope they would be aware of their numbers.

As you get notified two weeks before an interview and they intend on letting us know by the end of February, there is still two more weeks that you may get invited for interview. Let us know how you get on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending