The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Nottingham Applicants 2014.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joey.plum
Thanks, erm possibly because I have heard something like that about other universities like Keele, I couldn't be 100% on Nottingham though :/ did you ever mention you were catered? (Sorry I can't remember very far back) debating a TV :smile:

haha lol no worries- i'm the exact same xD i'm in catered halls, you're self catered right? and on the checklist, it says electrical appliances have to be 1200 watts or under, but that's hardly anything! :s-smilie: what about laptops, TV's, and they said to bring a travelling iron :/
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by Lisarh
Any Geographers in Lenton and Wortley?? (or Chinese studies) trying to find someone on (one of) my course :redface:

Also does anyone know where to but the wristbands? I've heard some people have already got theirs but I can't find any info on them, what are they for and are they worth it? I was planning on getting tickets to most freshers events from the reps (??) and finding people who are going....hopefully make some friends... :confused:

i was planning on buying wristbands on the first day of freshers too :s-smilie: don't worry, i'm sure there'll be plenty to go around...
Original post by joey.plum
Thanks, erm possibly because I have heard something like that about other universities like Keele, I couldn't be 100% on Nottingham though :/ did you ever mention you were catered? (Sorry I can't remember very far back) debating a TV :smile:

Original post by moonriver96
haha lol no worries- i'm the exact same xD i'm in catered halls, you're self catered right? and on the checklist, it says electrical appliances have to be 1200 watts or under, but that's hardly anything! :s-smilie: what about laptops, TV's, and they said to bring a travelling iron :/

The Notts limit is 1200 watts but laptops and TVs are FAR under that, have a look at this link for the average wattage of many appliances:

http://energy.gov/energysaver/articles/estimating-appliance-and-home-electronic-energy-use

As far as a TV goes, I personally wouldn't recommend it, about two people in my block of 20 had one and then they only used it to play games/watch films on so like everyone else they mostly used their laptops. Also you need to think about TV licences which can be costly even with a student loan!

And don't bring a kettle. You won't need one. If you're catered, one is provided in the pantry and if you're self catered, it is provided for you. Kettles in your rooms are banned, like fairy lights :'(

i was planning on buying wristbands on the first day of freshers too :s-smilie: don't worry, i'm sure there'll be plenty to go around...

Wristbands are usually available the day you arrive at your accommodation, no one had one beforehand last year. They mean that you can get into all the events that are for freshers only, it means you are simply easily identifiable and you have to wear them all week.
haha are you staying in catered halls or self catered?

I'm in catered (Florence Boot) so no spontaneous term time baking sessions :frown:
Original post by EMassey
The Notts limit is 1200 watts but laptops and TVs are FAR under that, have a look at this link for the average wattage of many appliances:

http://energy.gov/energysaver/articles/estimating-appliance-and-home-electronic-energy-use

As far as a TV goes, I personally wouldn't recommend it, about two people in my block of 20 had one and then they only used it to play games/watch films on so like everyone else they mostly used their laptops. Also you need to think about TV licences which can be costly even with a student loan!

And don't bring a kettle. You won't need one. If you're catered, one is provided in the pantry and if you're self catered, it is provided for you. Kettles in your rooms are banned, like fairy lights :'(

Wristbands are usually available the day you arrive at your accommodation, no one had one beforehand last year. They mean that you can get into all the events that are for freshers only, it means you are simply easily identifiable and you have to wear them all week.

ahh okay, thanks for this info :smile:
Original post by EMassey

Well that's answered just about every single question I had, thanks a lot!
Original post by blueberrysro
Anyone doing ABC pathway on Natural Sciences?
Also anyone know if it will just be first years in halls on university park campus?

I'm doing GBM so I may just see you!

Also majority of people in halls are first years but not everybody

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just a polite reminder for those of you living in halls and are also on the ground floor. Don't leave your laptops unattended in you rooms, ever. Every year thieves target ground floor rooms in search of laptops. If possible, always take it with you, or leave it with someone for safe keeping. Or get a locker.

I've seen a few international students have laptops stolen in halls on the ground floor even when they have shut their window and left their light on to deter thieves, and only being out for a few hours. They tend to stay over in the holiday period, where they are much more at risk due to fewer students on site.

This is the general advice for all students at any university, not just in halls at Nottingham.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by EMassey

I would avoid using communal kettles in halls. Heard some bad stories about how past students treat them after a late night out!
Original post by Hollywood Hogan
I would avoid using communal kettles in halls. Heard some bad stories about how past students treat them after a late night out!

Someone did wee in one of ours :angry:
Original post by alex193
Someone did wee in one of ours :angry:

Should have reported him to the Hall warden. They could have been fined and banned from living in halls in following years at the least. I would probably have assaulted them. but best not go down that route.
Should have reported him to the Hall warden. They could have been fined and banned from living in halls in following years at the least. I would probably have assaulted them. but best not go down that route.

They had to pay for the replacement IIRC haha
Original post by alex193
They had to pay for the replacement IIRC haha

It is reasons such as these which make me wonder whether it would have been better to have gone to Durham or UCL instead.
It is reasons such as these which make me wonder whether it would have been better to have gone to Durham or UCL instead.

Believe me there's some prime specimens in every uni. Got friends in Durham and some of the stuff they've told me about wayyy surpasses anything I saw in halls :colondollar:
Original post by InesAlicia678
I'm in catered (Florence Boot) so no spontaneous term time baking sessions :frown:

Aw i originally wanted self-catered too, but at least we won't have to worry too much about food :smile:
Original post by InesAlicia678
Yes I'm hoping to go to as many events as I can afford! Which events are you planning on going to? Well I might be seeing you around - I'll be the slightly mad/overexcited girl trying to feed people baked goods :tongue:

I'm really not sure! I have budgeted for all of the events but I'm not sure if I will go to them all (I'm ill atm so probably not having much faith in my body :P) I'll be the greedy girl chasing you to eat all your baked goods :colone:

Original post by Yuemie
I'm not really sure which events I want to go to - was hoping I'd get to know some people on the first day and tag along to whatever events they want to go to. :tongue: Definitely going to the Welcome Address and one of the Welcome Fairs though! What about you?
Don't worry about everyone being posh and smart because I'm the exact opposite of that. xD Whoaa. A change of environment would be good! My secondary school was just filled with a lot of gossipers for some reason.

That's a good idea I was thinking the same really, was just hoping it would all click on the first day! Definitely looking forward to having a look at the welcome fair and the finale thing on the Sunday :biggrin: yeah definitely excited for a change of environment, have you packed yet? Won't be missing the high school gossip thats for sure!
Nottingham has some dodgy areas to avoid living in. Radford is the nearest bad area to the university. The city as a whole is still not as bad as parts of Manchester and Leeds, or even Sheffield. There are far fewer violent crimes in Nottingham than a lot of bigger cities.
Nottingham has some dodgy areas to avoid living in. Radford is the nearest bad area to the university. The city as a whole is still not as bad as parts of Manchester and Leeds, or even Sheffield. There are far fewer violent crimes in Nottingham than a lot of bigger cities.

I'm sure it won't be too bad.Would you say going out at night i.e. nightlife is relatively safe?
I'm sure it won't be too bad.Would you say going out at night i.e. nightlife is relatively safe?

Leeds isn't that bad. Just stay out of Harehills (which is well outside of the city centre) and you are good.

Night life Monday to Friday is very safe in Nottingham City Centre. All the students are out in droves. Just stick to the student night venues, and get a cab home, or walk home in a group. Never walk off home alone.

I would avoid Radford if possible, the place in pockets harbours drug lords and dangerous dogs. Lenton, Dunkirk and Beeston are safer bets.

Nottingham is just like any other city, so you should use common sense and avoid things like using cash points if alone near a dodgy estate at 11pm. For every 50 times you do it, the one unlucky time you might get mugged if careless.

The people targeted most by muggers are the international students, who don't speak good English, and who can be very naive with their expensive cameras and mobile phones.

There is no such thing as a ''safe'' student town or City. Every single one will experience crime of some level. Oxford and Cambridge in parts can be dangerous.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending