The Student Room Group

should i do 4 or 5 a levels

I picked maths, further maths, biology and chemistry as my four a levels. I am not sure whether i should do physics as my fifth a level. I've been told by several people that i am doing all heavy subjects so it will be harder if i do a fifth a level. I do not really have a career that i am certain that i want to go into. I am someone who choose what to do next after i got my results. But i am planning of doing chemical engineering or going into a maths degree course. In my GCSE i got 1a*(maths) 5a(add maths, chemistry, biology, physics, statistics) 2b(french, geography) 3c(eng lit, eng lan, RE). I am going to be doing my eng lan again so that i can get a B. so thats why i am confused because for the first three months i need to focus on my a level subjects. So should i do 4 or 5 a levels?
you should just do 3 mate
Reply 2
Original post by wag12k12dunkno
you should just do 3 mate

I am definitely doing four and gonna keep four for A2 as well
Reply 3
I think 4 but if you think you can do 5 very well then there's your answer, good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Will universities even look at candidates with fewer than 6 A levels? I think not.

(Serious answer: Do 4. You're better off getting great results on 4 A levels than stretching yourself thin and getting mediocre results on 5.)
Reply 5
Original post by ManifoldManifest
Will universities even look at candidates with fewer than 6 A levels? I think not.

(Serious answer: Do 4. You're better off getting great results on 4 A levels than stretching yourself thin and getting mediocre results on 5.)

If i pick the fifth then i will get a better variance in my career options.
At my college you wouldn't have been allowed to do even four a levels with gcse results like that. Do four AS levels and drop one for A2 like everyone else

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I've got to tell you though you've picked some of the hardest subjects, if you think you can hope with all the work then go ahead. just remember you don't have a better advantage than someone who's picked 4 a Levels
Reply 8
I would say you should change your "maths" to Physics. Because Further Maths is good enough. No need to do extra math right? With a qualification with Further Maths, you already have very good chances into getting Universities.

I would recommend you do 4 because you have chosen 4 very hard subjects, especially Further Maths as you will be required to do a lot more maths. In my school if you have chosen that subject it takes up 10 periods while other subjects are just 5.
Do four, rather than five. There is quite a jump from GCSE to AS and I know a girl who got 9A*s and 2As at GCSE and then got ABBC at AS. So although you may perform very well at AS, with your GCSE grades (assuming no extenuating circumstances etc.) you may well struggle with 4, let alone 5.
Original post by isteven
I would say you should change your "maths" to Physics. Because Further Maths is good enough. No need to do extra math right? With a qualification with Further Maths, you already have very good chances into getting Universities.

I would recommend you do 4 because you have chosen 4 very hard subjects, especially Further Maths as you will be required to do a lot more maths. In my school if you have chosen that subject it takes up 10 periods while other subjects are just 5.

I think you have to take maths to take further maths... or at least it would be mad not to.
Original post by rsayanthan
I picked maths, further maths, biology and chemistry as my four a levels. I am not sure whether i should do physics as my fifth a level. I've been told by several people that i am doing all heavy subjects so it will be harder if i do a fifth a level. I do not really have a career that i am certain that i want to go into. I am someone who choose what to do next after i got my results. But i am planning of doing chemical engineering or going into a maths degree course. In my GCSE i got 1a*(maths) 5a(add maths, chemistry, biology, physics, statistics) 2b(french, geography) 3c(eng lit, eng lan, RE). I am going to be doing my eng lan again so that i can get a B. so thats why i am confused because for the first three months i need to focus on my a level subjects. So should i do 4 or 5 a levels?

I don't think 5 will necessarily be a problem. Esp as two are maths and further maths. It's quite common doing something similar amongs mathmos and science students in college! It's up to you, make a list of pros/cons.
Reply 12

I'd just do 4 if I were you, then drop one in A2.. Doing 5 won't give you an advantage over someone who does 3, as the offers will be based on 3 a-levels or in some cases 4 (| don't know what course).

All it does is increase your workload. If you like the subjects then by all means go for it, but if you're doing them just to increase your chances of getting in uni then I'd think twice about that.
Reply 13
Your combination is very common. If you are confident then go for it. Your GCSE profile isn't the best which might be cause for concern (can you manage with the workload of 5 subjects?) but if you put some effort in then I don't see why not. I just finished my first year and did 5 ASs and a full A Level (chemistry, physics, english lit, history, french and maths) and it was an okay - I even got an A* in the A Level Maths and 5 As in the AS subjects - but you have to be prepared to actually study! :smile:

Doing 5 A-levels instead of 4 won't necessarily give you an advantage in terms of university applications. However, it will keep your options open - physics is an almost necessary subject (check with individual universities) for engineering and maths degrees. Infact, if you are reasonably sure of engineering/maths, then I would choose physics ahead of biology.

If you think you can do an extra subject without it harming your grades, then go for it. If not, stick with 4 subjects. Remember, you can start with 5 and always drop one later.
most people do 4 and then drop 1 and do 3 full A2's. better to do that and get good result rarther than get not so good results but lots of exams.

on another note don't bother with the gcse you got into collage the only uni I know of that cares what you got at gcse beoynd your c in english and maths is Oxford and your grades arn't good enough for there any way even if you do redit and get a b

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
If you're willing to put in the work, do 5. You'll get more points and will probably get a deeper understanding of your other subjets (especially with your maths/further maths/physics combination). I took biology, chemistry, maths, physics and geography and got AAAAB (the B was in chemistry), but I did put in a huge amount of work. If 5 isn't working out for you you can always drop it. If you're confident you're going to do well, go for it! Just keep an eye on mid- and end-term assessments to make sure your grades aren't slipping.
Reply 17
If you are considering doing maths or chemical engineering, I would suggest doing 4 as I think 5 is very stressful, and not really necessary, but instead of biology, doing physics as it will help you a lot more. I'm hoping to apply for Chem Eng this year and Im doing my alevels in Maths, Biology and Chemistry and feel really disadvantaged because I dont do physics.
Reply 18
Thank you. I think i will do 5 a levels and put in my effort. if i struggle then i will drop the fifth subject.

Quick Reply

Latest