The Student Room Group

Need help a levels :(

Basically I want to do optometry at university and the majority of unis ask for AAB. I didn't do too well at AS and only got BCC. We haven't received predicted grades yet but I was wondering, should I resit the year? or do you think I will get the predicted grades that I will need??? Help!!!!
I would resit and try and get the grades up to what you need. Explain to your teachers that you are doing this and willing to put the extra effort in to achieve these grades and that you would like to be predicted the AAB-AAA
Reply 2
Don't feel too down hearted! I was predicated CDE and was applying an AAB course. All the unis still gave me offers, though some changed.

After getting my results, I didn't make the grade for both my firm and insurance, but they still wanted to take me on.

The important thing to remember is that entry requirements are generally just guidelines you should be aiming for. They're not set in stone and they're definitely not the only way to prove that you are able to take the course.

Be consistent and work hard and that should show through, whether it be through your results, personal statement or reference from your teacher.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by MissAjayG
Don't feel too down hearted! I was predicated CDE and was applying an AAB course. All the unis still gave me offers, though some changed.

After getting my results, I didn't make the grade for both my firm and insurance, but they still wanted to take me on.

The important thing to remember is that entry requirements are generally just guidelines you should be aiming for. They're not set in stone and they're definitely not the only way to prove that you are able to take the course.

Be consistent and work hard and that should show through, whether it be through your results, personal statement or reference from your teacher.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, just wanted to ask, what course did you apply for and what unis?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What results did you get, what course are u doing and at what university?
Be careful about resitting the year because some unis won't take resit candidates!!!!!!!!!!
To be honest, you need need need to make sure the rest of your application is strong and that your teachers will predict you over AAB so that you have a chance of getting in. Talk to your teachers :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by aSunnyDay
Hi, just wanted to ask, what course did you apply for and what unis?

I applied for Electronic Engineering at Sussex, Coventry, Bradford, Greenwich and I honestly can't remember the last one.

They gave me offers of AAA - ABB, apart from Coventry who gave me CCD.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymousgirll
What results did you get, what course are u doing and at what university?

I got ( rather ashamedly :frown:)BDE. I applied for Electronic Engineering and made Sussex my firm and Coventry my insurance.

When I got my results, Coventry accepted me for the degree, but Sussex wanted me to take a foundation year first.

I took the foundation year at Sussex, it seemed like a wiser choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got ( rather ashamedly :frown:)BDE. I applied for Electronic Engineering and made Sussex my firm and Coventry my insurance.

When I got my results, Coventry accepted me for the degree, but Sussex wanted me to take a foundation year first.

I took the foundation year at Sussex, it seemed like a wiser choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thats not too bad least you passed. Did you not think about resitting the year or did you not need to. What subjects did you do? Well at least its worked out now.
Reply 9
Original post by MaheenMaheen
Basically I want to do optometry at university and the majority of unis ask for AAB. I didn't do too well at AS and only got BCC. We haven't received predicted grades yet but I was wondering, should I resit the year? or do you think I will get the predicted grades that I will need??? Help!!!!

Don' resit, you will honestly regret it. just study hard for A2 and hopefully you will get in. some of my friends resited AS and regretted it.

if you think you can't do good in exams, do good in coursework and some unis will accept you base on your coursework grades.
Reply 10
Original post by Anonymousgirll
Okay thats not too bad least you passed. Did you not think about resitting the year or did you not need to. What subjects did you do? Well at least its worked out now.

I did consider re-taking a year, but due to external family pressures and pride, I decided not to.

I took Maths, Further Maths and Physics, which I honestly enjoy but I can be lazy at the best of times.

Looking back, I can't honestly say I would retake the year if I could, but I would've improved my grades immensely and felt better about them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Thanks alot guys I've decided not to resit the year! The only reason I was thinking of doing it was because there's no longer a January resit :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
I did consider re-taking a year, but due to external family pressures and pride, I decided not to.

I took Maths, Further Maths and Physics, which I honestly enjoy but I can be lazy at the best of times.

Looking back, I can't honestly say I would retake the year if I could, but it would've improved my grades immensely and felt better about them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Resit a couple of modules, try and get your grades up, explain your situation to your teachers and ask them to predict you AAB, (teachers want to give their students the best possible chance at university and as long as you are capable you shouldn't have a problem). You want to try and complete A levels in 2 years if you can :smile: I got BCDE in AS and still got ABB prediction so you should be fine :smile:
Reply 14
Don't resist the entire year. Talk to your subject teachers about repeating certain modules and pulling up your grades that way!
I needed ABB to get in to Occupational Therapy and Northumbria took me on with BBC
Talk to your teachers and your schools career advisor, they'll do everything they can to help you out! Best of luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending