The Student Room Group

What do Uni students eat?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Dnator
Everyone who has posted here is an idiot bar nicatre. If you have money, you buy ingredients. With said ingredients you then make food to eat. As every other person in the world does. Being a student does not mean you have to eat noodles and beans ad infinitum, and anyone who does is a ****ing tool.

Edit:Wrote this before kitty posted something else sensible.

I'm quoting what my uni friends eat. Many are obsessed with packet noodles. In fact they posted a page where they describe combinations for packet noodles. No need for the rudeness.
Original post by Gunpowdergelatin
I start uni in a few weeks and was just wondering what kind of meals/food items are the most common amongst students? I have a few favourites in mind but I feel like after a few weeks I'm gonna be fresh out of ideas....

A reasonably good idea in terms of time/cost/avoiding scurvy is to make up big batches of things like curry and sweet and sour chicken/pork. If you use a jar of sauce and about 300g of meat, padding it out with lots of mushrooms, peppers and whatever other fresh veg you feel like (halved cherry tomatoes, white, red and spring onions and memorably chillis have all gone into mine, though the last made for a rather aggressive experience). You can usually make 4-5 portions, depending on how much you eat, and just fridge one and freeze the rest.

Also, get turkey rather than chicken if it's available for stuff like this, it tends to be cheaper (a turkey thigh can run to 6-8 meals for less than 3 quids worth of meat if you can get one fresh, you just have to be prepared to be your own butcher)
Reply 22
My diet in my first year consisted of pasta and take aways. Surprised that I haven't gained a single pound.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nicatre
That may be your experience but I never found that. It's no more creative to make the same meals and freeze some or just portion the meat and freeze it prior to cooking :smile:

I eat the same where ever I am really.

I'm scared of cooking meat which is the main thing :tongue:
Original post by JuliusDS92

Pasta - just cooking a bunch of pasta and using store bought sauces is an extremely easy way to eat for not too much money. There's loads of different sauces you can buy so there's no reason this has to be boring. This is a good thing to do before you're confident enough to try and make your own sauces from scratch (tends to be cheaper, if a bit more labour intensive).

I used a store bought sauce once in the whole of last year, it was horrible :s So much cheaper is to just use a can/carton of chopped tomatoes, and a little bit of basil/ garlic/ paprika.
Don't make the mistake that I did and end up somehow spending over £700 on dominos. True story.
I photosynthesise, but sometimes I cook to keep up the pretence of being human. Mostly curries (out of a jar), macaroni cheese with various things thrown in, omelettes, stir fries, risotto, spaghetti bolognese and this chicken and couscous recipe that's really easy to do. Sometimes just throw together pasta and vegetables in tomato sauce, it's amazing if you add sausages :love: Oh, and fajitas! And takeaways, made the mistake of using domino's for one of my coursework tasks. So much pizza.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 28
Strange person :P man up :wink:
Reply 29
The 3 Ps: Pasta, Pizza, and Pitta Bread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by marinaim
I'm quoting what my uni friends eat. Many are obsessed with packet noodles. In fact they posted a page where they describe combinations for packet noodles. No need for the rudeness.

God I can't stand these dumb****s who harp on about crap like how many noodles they eat or how they brought home a traffic cone.
Reply 31
Here's a few tips I've learned from my first year at university.

Don't spend so much on takeaways like I did in my first term. :frown: We'd have a takeaway for dinner at least twice a week. I worked out it came to about £150 for the term! That money is better spent on cooking good food or... you know, booze.

Ready meals like 2 for £5 or 3 for £5 might sound like a good deal, but you're just paying for convenience. They're expensive for what you get, not good for you and most don't taste too good.

Bulk prepare your meals. If you're making pasta, make enough for 2-3 portions and stick it in the fridge. It will be good for at least two days, probably more and you'll save your self the boring wait.

Clean up your woks, pans, pots etc as soon as possible after you make your food. Dried starch and pasta sauce isn't very fun to clean up. Your flatmates will also be grateful... your kitchen may end up looking like this if you don't.

That wasn't a particularly bad week either. :eek:
Original post by Gunpowdergelatin
I start uni in a few weeks and was just wondering what kind of meals/food items are the most common amongst students? I have a few favourites in mind but I feel like after a few weeks I'm gonna be fresh out of ideas....

Fried rice is always a good idea-it was my personal favourite when I was in 1st year :smile:
Reply 33
Original post by Dnator
God I can't stand these dumb****s who harp on about crap like how many noodles they eat or how they brought home a traffic cone.

I do agree about the traffic cones, my friends keep putting up traffic cone pictures it's already annoying... And those guys haven't even been to uni yet.
I'm vegetarian and don't have access to a freezer.

I like to make ahead and have the same thing for a few days - it's fine to have one repetitive meal a day if you're having variety in the others!

I always have in:
Protein: beans (various kinds), lentils, chickpeas. Occasionally I buy cheese, and if I'm baking something, there will be eggs left that I can then eat
Carbs: pasta, rice, sometimes bread, bulgar wheat/couscous
More things in tins - tomatoes, tinned veg (peas, sweetcorn), tinned soup (if I CBA to make my own, which I do more often), coconut milk
Veg - I buy from the market each week
Normally some other things that keep well - naan bread, tortellini etc

If I'm not really cooking, I'll have carb + protein + whatever veg I have, just all thrown together on a plate. If I'm bothering a bit more, I'll make curry, a proper cheese sauce for pasta, something like that. (I eat a lot of curry!) Tortellini I normally have in and have if I really can't be bothered to cook or if I'm in a rush. A few times a term I go all out and make things like quiches, pasties etc (I make my own pastry). I also eat out quite a lot with my friends, or sometimes go to the buttery (catered food) if I want some food/it's the end of term so no point in shopping.

I think the key to cooking for yourself, especially sans freezer as I am, is to have lots of things that keep. Think tins and dried things. Anything else (veg!) you can get fresh, but if you keep fresh things to a minimum, you won't be wasting food cos it's going off.

I do often have packets of instant cheese pasta, for the express purpose of eating while drunk.
Reply 35
Home-made salads, bread and cheese, sweets, something at Nando's or Pizza Express. I also used to cook potatoes, but you can't live on them all the time.
Mostly cockmeat sandwiches.
Original post by tania<3
My friend once had a biscuit for dinner

oh gosh :rofl:

and tea for dessert ? :tongue:
microwave troll with Uncle Bens rice :rofl:

poached library books with stew :perv:

Toasted Oxbridge student sandwich :colone:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 39
First year was:
A lot of pizza
Every pasta meal you can think of
Jacket Potatoes with different toppings for different days
Old el paso type meal kits (asda brand of course)

Oh and Pasta 'n' sauce/supernoodles/pot noodles towards the end of term when money was running out

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending