The Student Room Group

Becoming a police officer

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Slingsby1989
Can you still get into the police as an officer if you only have gcse's? I also have experience as i am a prison officer.

Depends where you're applying. Some forces have academic requirements (such as the met), while some have none (such as scotland).
Original post by pjm600
Depends where you're applying. Some forces have academic requirements (such as the met), while some have none (such as scotland).

Im applying for South Yorkshire...
Reply 22
Original post by Slingsby1989
Im applying for South Yorkshire...

Unfortunately SYP dictate A-Levels, do you hold equivalent qualifications?

Eligibility Criteria
Applicants
◆◆ Must be aged 18 years or over by date of recruitment opening
◆◆ Must have achieved a standard of education equivalent to A Level (see
Qualifications below)
◆◆ Cannot be a member of the British National Party (BNP), National Front or Combat
◆◆ You can apply to become a Police Officer as long as you are an EEA National or a
Swiss National. Commonwealth citizens and Foreign Nationals are required to have leave
to enter or leave to remain in the UK for an indefinite period. Applicants must have
resided in the UK for three continuous years immediately prior to application. See
appendix
◆◆must not have tattoos on your face, neck or hands or which could cause offence
◆◆Police Officers must hold a full manual EU driving licence
http://www.southyorks.police.uk/sites/default/files/Police%20Officer%20Guidance%20Notes%20%26%20FAQs%20-%20External%2019.2.16.pdf

However the British Transport Police (National Police Force) don't require formal qualifications. Keep an eye out for their recruitment in your area.
Reply 23
Im 15 and want to become a police officer, possibly the greater Manchester police, anyone else?
does anyone know how i could get some work experience with the police before i join ?
Original post by mayxo
Im 15 and want to become a police officer, possibly the greater Manchester police, anyone else?
does anyone know how i could get some work experience with the police before i join ?

Very hard nowadays due to health and safety. Used to be in the past that once 18 years old you could go for ride alongs with the police response teams but that doesn't happen anymore.

The Met have the volunteer police cadets; not sure if GMP have the same? If so going to be the best way to gain experience at your age.

Also do your research prior to joining. Easy to think at your age it'll be great career but you really need to understand what you'll be dealing with.
Reply 25
Original post by PYDogVan
Very hard nowadays due to health and safety. Used to be in the past that once 18 years old you could go for ride alongs with the police response teams but that doesn't happen anymore.

The Met have the volunteer police cadets; not sure if GMP have the same? If so going to be the best way to gain experience at your age.

Also do your research prior to joining. Easy to think at your age it'll be great career but you really need to understand what you'll be dealing with.

Okay, thanks. Yh i have joined the police cadets. Aha definitely what i want, done allot of search!
Do u want to be a police officer ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mayxo
Okay, thanks. Yh i have joined the police cadets. Aha definitely what i want, done allot of search!
Do u want to be a police officer ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was one. I joined 2 years after leaving college and left recently to start studying again to get into a different field.

It was very stressful and I saw some not very nice things but don't let that put you off; you can't know till you try it.

Good luck.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SFeet
Wow, thanks for that detailed reply, and yes I know of all them extreme circumstances that may occur, but that's one of the things that actually attract me to this job (not seeing dead bodies but...) the fact that everyday will litterally be a completely new day, always doing something different. I'm from Manchester btw and do you think after maybe 15 years in service I will be on 40k+?

Cheers for that detailed reply :smile:

well pay depends on what rank you are. in 15 years you could easily get to inspector rank earning about 48-52k. but this just depends if you actually get promoted or not. my dad is currently a chief inspector but i doubt he will go for further promotion.

Quick Reply

Latest