The Student Room Group

Dropping Computing A Level, but wanting to study Computer Science at university

Hey guys, just looking for a little friendly advice here. For my AS results I achieved AABC in Maths, Psychology, Computing and Economics respectively. At the moment, I'm taking the first three, however I have a little concern. For Computing half of the A2 is coursework, which I'm a little anxious about. I much prefer the exam system, so I've been a little put off by that. Economics has 2 exams, which in a way will be easier to prepare for but it was also a lower grade than Computing, so I'm a little stumped.

I'm looking to apply to universities that have entry requirements from AAA-ABB, where realistically I'd like to be going to the ones which offer AAA. Would choosing Economics over Computing be an unwise move?
Reply 1
Slightly a you started the course at the same time as your others, maybe giving universities an eyebrow to raise (something you want to keep to a mininum)

Just be aware this is a gold mine for the admissions to raise if your ever interviewed.... And if you use your current excuse it's almost certain for the admissions to be concerned (as you will be doing similar projects in the course, so a fairly weak excuse)
But maths is the most important subject for that course which you have a good grade in. I would personally stick with computing as 1 exam with coursework will be much less pressure considering no January exams. Psychology and maths have hard exams so take that Ito consideration.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Jkizer
Slightly a you started the course at the same time as your others, maybe giving universities an eyebrow to raise (something you want to keep to a mininum)

Just be aware this is a gold mine for the admissions to raise if your ever interviewed.... And if you use your current excuse it's almost certain for the admissions to be concerned (as you will be doing similar projects in the course, so a fairly weak excuse)
But maths is the most important subject for that course which you have a good grade in. I would personally stick with computing as 1 exam with coursework will be much less pressure considering no January exams. Psychology and maths have hard exams so take that Ito consideration.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm, never even considered the universities being concerned, that's a very good point. Yep, Computing has coursework and one exam, whereas Economics has two exams. Although I prefer being in an exam situation, I suppose I should really get the advice from my Computing teacher.
Reply 3
Original post by Segadfx
Hmm, never even considered the universities being concerned, that's a very good point. Yep, Computing has coursework and one exam, whereas Economics has two exams. Although I prefer being in an exam situation, I suppose I should really get the advice from my Computing teacher.

Is there a particularly reason why coursework isn't your thing? I would much prefer it as you can have an idea of your grades during the process with teachers aid and there's less effect in a way on your other subjects during the exam period

At university you will get quite a bit of coursework anyways for your subject, depending on universities so no harm in having a taster :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Jkizer
Is there a particularly reason why coursework isn't your thing? I would much prefer it as you can have an idea of your grades during the process with teachers aid and there's less effect in a way on your other subjects during the exam period

At university you will get quite a bit of coursework anyways for your subject, depending on universities so no harm in having a taster :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

This particular coursework has had me stumped with where to start and how to start it, which is what makes me anxious. At least with exams I know exactly what I'm revising and how much I need to do, whereas this is a little ambiguous and there's margin for error right from the start.

It'll definitely be beneficial in terms of experience, though.

Quick Reply

Latest