The Student Room Group

Mathematics and Computer Science

I originally wanted to study just Mathematics at university but about two weeks ago, I realised that not only would I score better in the MAT if I were to apply for Mathematics and Computer Science but also that I really feel like I'd enjoy studying computer science as well.
The problem is that I had written a personal statement purely tailored towards a straight Mathematics degree but I have had to change it to fit Computer Science as well and because I haven't done much in terms of the computer science side of the joint honours course and also because I want to keep a large chunk of what was in my original personal statement, my personal statement has rather a disproportionate percentage of content related to Mathematics which makes it about a 75:25 split. How should I go about this?
Also, would me being female benefit me in anyway in my application for the subject because of the high male:female ratio?
Lastly, would anyone mind giving me feedback on my personal statement? It's my first draft.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Someone looking to do compsci asked me for help on a personal statement, this is what I told him (I got offers last year from ucl, bath, warwick, notts, kings):

Your reference/personal statement should focus on the following:
- tell them how you have strong mathematical skills
- tell them how you have strong analytic/logical skills
- Any stuff you've done on your own (learning programming languages, making websites/software, books you've read)
- any relevant work experience
- any extra-curricular stuff and how that may be relevant, e.g. I do judo at a national level and I said that it has allowed me to gain characteristics such as determination and self-discipline (these are qualities that cannot be taught, but can only be gained)
- any relevant info that show you've been in positions of responsibility, e.g. school/house captain, prefect, organising events and etc

You NEED to make it sound like you're passionate. Your conclusion should show that you have a positive outlook on the course, you're looking forward to doing it and you're looking forward to putting those skills you will learn to good use.

If you cover most of the points above (especially about being able to think logically, analytic skills etc) then you should be ok. I don't think there are any benefits of being a female in regards to an application to do compsci. Good luck.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by yl95
I originally wanted to study just Mathematics at university but about two weeks ago, I realised that not only would I score better in the MAT if I were to apply for Mathematics and Computer Science but also that I really feel like I'd enjoy studying computer science as well.
The problem is that I had written a personal statement purely tailored towards a straight Mathematics degree but I have had to change it to fit Computer Science as well and because I haven't done much in terms of the computer science side of the joint honours course and also because I want to keep a large chunk of what was in my original personal statement, my personal statement has rather a disproportionate percentage of content related to Mathematics which makes it about a 75:25 split. How should I go about this?
Also, would me being female benefit me in anyway in my application for the subject because of the high male:female ratio?

I wouldn't worry about it really because a lot of with courses aren't 50:50 anyway the degree will probably still be primarily based on Mathematics-I read about a Maths with Physics course at Cambridge that included only one Physics paper worth 25% of one year.I don't think universities discriminate based on gender so I don't think being female will change things-It will probably be helpful in the job market though.What A-Levels did you pick?
Which universities are you applying to, and would you still be applying for straight maths at some of them?

Most people haven't done much computer science before studying it.
For instance, Oxford doesn't even favour you if you've done the computing A Level, according to an admissions guy at one of those 'Come to Oxbridge' events a few years ago (though the Cambridge guy said otherwise).
Doing some kind of computer science before going to uni is still important though: when I didn't get a place at Oxford for the MMathCompSci, the feedback said that maths was good but computer science wasn't good enough.
A 75:25 split sounds alright, on the face of it.

Gender's a pretty irrelevant variable when it comes to impressing admissions tutors.
Or at least I hope they don't reject guys and accept girls because of their genitalia :erm:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by pixelfrag
Someone looking to do compsci asked me for help on a personal statement to do compsci, this is what I told him (I got offers last year from ucl, bath, warwick, notts, kings):

If you cover most of the points above (especially about being able to think logically, analytic skills etc) then you should be ok. I don't think there are any benefits of being a female in regards to an application to do compsci. Good luck.

First of all, congrats! Thanks, I will refer to those bullet points.

Original post by placenta medicae talpae
Which universities are you applying to, and would you still be applying for straight maths at some of them?

For instance, Oxford doesn't even favour you if you've done the computing A Level, according to an admissions guy at one of those 'Come to Oxbridge' events a few years ago (though the Cambridge guy said otherwise).
Doing some kind of computer science before going to uni is still important though: when I didn't get a place at Oxford for the MMathCompSci, the feedback said that maths was good but computer science wasn't good enough.
A 75:25 split sounds alright, on the face of it.

Gender's a pretty irrelevant variable when it comes to impressing admissions tutors.
Or at least I hope they don't reject guys and accept girls because of their genitalia :erm:

No, I thought it would be a bit risky to apply to straight Maths for some of them although I would apply to UCL for straight Maths if it wasn't since my UMS scores are fine.
Did they mean the interview or the personal statement? I haven't done all that much in terms of programming or anything like that - I'm learning Java on Eclipse, I'm reading through 'Algorithmic Puzzles' and I'm also going through a book called 'Computer Science: An Overview'.

I'm definitely applying to Oxford, Imperial and UCL but I'm not sure about the other two - I'm thinking of maybe Bristol and Manchester or maybe Bath but I also heard that Bristol don't like private schools so Bath and Manc will probably end up forming the rest.

Original post by Dalek1099
I wouldn't worry about it really because a lot of with courses aren't 50:50 anyway the degree will probably still be primarily based on Mathematics-I read about a Maths with Physics course at Cambridge that included only one Physics paper worth 25% of one year.I don't think universities discriminate based on gender so I don't think being female will change things-It will probably be helpful in the job market though.What A-Levels did you pick?

So they wouldn't try to balance the male: female ratio or anything? I've heard of someone who applied to do Engineering at Cambridge because she thought she would have a better chance of getting in because of the high ratio of males and got in but switched to Geography which is what she originally wanted to do. Maybe she was just good at Engineering. :tongue:
I picked Maths, Further Maths, Biology and Chemistry. I know most applicants would have Physics there though.
Reply 5
Original post by yl95

I'm definitely applying to Oxford, Imperial and UCL but I'm not sure about the other two - I'm thinking of maybe Bristol and Manchester or maybe Bath but I also heard that Bristol don't like private schools so Bath and Manc will probably end up forming the rest.

I picked Bath in the end by the way, despite UCL having a better reputation their course seems a lot more enjoyable. Make sure you visit all the universities.
Original post by placenta medicae talpae

That's not too far off our current thing.

Roughly speaking, in the last couple of years 30-40% of our successful A-Level taking candidates have done Computing (to at least AS.)

Our standard conditional offer is A*AA with at least an A in Maths. The A* has to be in either Maths, Further Maths, Physics or Computing. (Those subjects are always written in that order: it is significant.) So if a candidate is at a school where the subject is well taught, and it's something they want to do, and it's along side Maths and preferably Further Maths, then great.

However, the course starts from first principles. So we aren;t looking for any specific computing knowledge. It's perfectly possible to apply to the course with no formal computing experience. What we are primarily looking for is Maths skills.

However, we want students to have a genuine interest in CompSci. It's a tough
degree and students need a real passion for the subject to help them through. Doing a Computing A Level is one way of helping show this, but there are others.

We aren't likely to pick one student over another just because they have Computing A Level, and the other doesn't. Other parts of the application process (ie the MAT test and interviews) are more important.
Original post by yl95

So they wouldn't try to balance the male: female ratio or anything?

Women are hugely under-represented in Computing. It's an international issue, but one particularly prevalent in the UK. Which is why we're doing our bit to try to change this by holding events such as the Women in Computer Science days, and we have a Women in Computer Science Society.

We would be absolutely delighted if more talented women applied to our courses, and very much encourage this.

But once those applications are in, we'll be making offers to the best and brightest candidates. Gender at this point is irrelevant. It's about choosing candidates with ability, potential, commitment and a real flair for Maths.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending