The Student Room Group

Russell Brand gets thrown out of GQ awards for Nazi jokes aimed at Hugo Boss

http://metro.co.uk/2013/09/04/russell-brand-defends-his-nazi-gags-at-gq-men-of-the-year-awards-3950483/
http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/russell-brand-nazi-jibes-towards-2252372

Why invite a comedian like Russell Brand to your awards show when you know what his style of comedy is like? Anyone and anything is fair game to be taken the piss out of.

‘I’m literally a comedian and it’s my job to make jokes about things... So, Hugo Boss, it’s fair enough.’

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I detest him, but what did they expect? If they wanted family-friendly humour they should've hired Michael McIntyre or someone else instead.
Reply 2
Original post by Hellz_Bellz!
I detest him, but what did they expect? If they wanted family-friendly humour they should've hired Michael McIntyre or someone else instead.

Michael Mcintyre sucks. I can't stand his comedy. Russell is way funnier than him. The only people I've met who like Michael McIntyre are unfunny women.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by datpiff
Michael Mcintyre sucks. I can't stand his comedy. Russell is way funnier than him. The only people I've met who like Michael McIntyre are unfunny women.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Doing a Nazi salute on stage is funny?

There is one thing doing rude and lude comedy, and then there's this. What a complete jackass.
Reply 4
Original post by danny111
Doing a Nazi salute on stage is funny?

There is one thing doing rude and lude comedy, and then there's this. What a complete jackass.

You never watched the whole thing if you we're just offended by the Nazi salute.

I'll never get the British obsession with hating Russell Brand.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by datpiff
You never watched the whole thing if you we're just offended by the Nazi salute.

I'll never get the British obsession with hating Russell Brand.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's your point?
Reply 6
I watched it and found it neither offensive nor funny - it must be a slow news day.
"Icon Award winner Noel Gallagher drew cheers when he turned to William Hague and said: “It’s nice to see the Foreign Secretary here when there’s s*** going on abroad that needs to be sorted out.”"

The man has a point :rolleyes:
Reply 8
What he said wasn't particularly offensive per se - Hugo Boss did tailor SS uniforms, and a lot of other companies received commissions from the Nazis (see ThyssenKrupp, Siemens, as well as Coco Chanel's questionable wartime activities - no reason to condemn the modern companies, though). However, they weren't at all funny either, and completely inappropriate for an awards ceremony held at the ROH. The salute is just an attempt to court controversy. What point is he trying to make by it?

Besides that, I detest the man anyway. Good riddance.
(edited 10 years ago)
Russel Brand is an extremely clever and funny guy, look up that video from a few months ago where he tears those moronic news reporters a new one on that USA morning show or whatever it was
Reply 10
Original post by Get_Lucky_606
Russel Brand is an extremely clever and funny guy, look up that video from a few months ago where he tears those moronic news reporters a new one on that USA morning show or whatever it was

Yes! Doesn't get enough props for his intelligence. The media like to make it look as though he is stupid, but if they were face to face with him he'd tear them to shreds.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
He is hilarious.
Reply 12
I don't find him funny at all and certainly don't understand the obsession among comedians these days with linking controversy to humour. It comes across more like attention seeking to me.

On the other hand, the point that they hired him and not a more family friendly act, and should have expected this type of behaviour is a very valid one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Algorithm69
I can't stand him anyway. How people can find him funny is beyond me.

Agreed. He's not funny, just a bumbling idiot.
Reply 14
Original post by cmclellan
I don't find him funny at all and certainly don't understand the obsession among comedians these days with linking controversy to humour. It comes across more like attention seeking to me.

On the other hand, the point that they hired him and not a more family friendly act, and should have expected this type of behaviour is a very valid one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Errrrm... George Carlin? Bill Hicks? Richard Pryor? So called 'Controversial humour' has happened for years (and before I was even born). It's not just a modern 2k phenomenon.

If it was up to the majority of TSR users comedy would all be harmless, middle class and boring (pretty much like Michael McIntyre)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by datpiff
Yes! Doesn't get enough props for his intelligence. The media like to make it look as though he is stupid, but if they were face to face with him he'd tear them to shreds.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah he's very good at making people look stupid as well, witty guy
Reply 16
Original post by pmc:producer
"Icon Award winner Noel Gallagher drew cheers when he turned to William Hague and said: “It’s nice to see the Foreign Secretary here when there’s s*** going on abroad that needs to be sorted out.”"

The man has a point :rolleyes:

What, that the foreign secretary should be at work 24/7?
another overreaction from the PC crew, you really can't say anything any more.
Reply 18
Original post by datpiff
Errrrm... George Carlin? Bill Hicks? Richard Pryor? So called 'Controversial humour' has happened for years (and before I was even born). It's not just a modern 2k phenomenon.

If it was up to the majority of TSR users comedy would all be harmless, middle class and boring (pretty much like Michael McIntyre)

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I agree with you. Of course there's nothing wrong with controversial humour. What I was saying was that some people simply assume that because it's controversial it is automatically funny. Maybe what he had done would have been humour, if in a different context.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pjm600
What, that the foreign secretary should be at work 24/7?

Where did you pull that statement from?

He didn't say the foreign secretary should be working 24/7. Nor did he imply it. He was having a dig at the civil servant funded by tax payers money in charge of dealing with foreign affairs attending an irrelevant award ceremony whilst "**** needs sorted out abroad"... In foreign countries...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending