The Student Room Group

Advice on Planning a Gap year

Hi, this is my first post on this site. I'm an Australian student and I plan on going on a gap year trip overseas after completing my final year of high school and before beginning university studies. The trip I intend to make is well over a year from now. So far I haven't decided on any specific pathways (e.g. places to go or things to do, like volunteering or working abroad), but I have decided that I should figure out exactly what I will need to look into when planning this trip before hand, in order to minimize any organizational or logistic problems. Does that make sense? Basically I'm looking for advice about the specifics of what I will need to plan for so I don't miss anything when I begin actually planning my trip. So essentially my question is 'What will I need to take into consideration when planning for an overseas gap year trip'. Phew, hope I've made that clear! :smile:
I realize that as I'm not from the UK some specific details may be quite different for me as an Australian. Hopefully though there will be enough similarities to gain something from this discussion. I'd really appreciate any constructive advice or recommendations, especially from experienced overseas travelers and people who have been on their own gap year voyages.
Thanks very much,

Harry
Reply 1
I believe it depends on what you exactly wanna do and where you wanna go. First thing is to decide where you wanna go. and if you wanna volunteer. Then it's easier to make a budget. I went to India first time, and I loved it so much. I completely felt safe my whole stay, which was important for me. I had enough work and enough time to explore the country at the same time (I volunteered) Decide for a place where you can see yourself spending time. For first trip like that, I would advice, to not go too many places. I really wanted to learn about the culture, and get close to the people living there, which for me was the main reason to go.

I hope this helps you a little bit - if you wanna hear more about my trip, then let me know.

Quick Reply

Latest