The Student Room Group

How many jobs do you have to apply for on Job Seekers Allowance?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
As long as someone is looking, it seems pointless making you apply to three a day, just to meet the job centre's targets. What if the job isn't convenient, you're too qualified etc, it's wasting yours and the employer's time.
Reply 21
I want to ask whether applications in REEDs count towards your weekly quota when you're in JSA? thx.
Reply 22
Original post by Sigma44
I want to ask whether applications in REEDs count towards your weekly quota when you're in JSA? thx.

You mean the website Reed? Yeah, it does, you just have to tell them that you applied through that website :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by Patched
You mean the website Reed? Yeah, it does, you just have to tell them that you applied through that website :smile:

Thanks.

Doesn't that make it very easy to meet the weekly requirements then, since there's only so much tailoring you can do when you're not even told the company name - cut all the research time.
Reply 24
Original post by Sigma44
Thanks.

Doesn't that make it very easy to meet the weekly requirements then, since there's only so much tailoring you can do when you're not even told the company name - cut all the research time.

Yeah, but It's not easy when there's not that many jobs available, which depends on where you live. Like me, there's not many jobs in my area and the website rarely update with new jobs :/
Reply 25
8 a week for me. I hardly apply to any as of recent because I'm moving away to attend University. So I end up using indeed and search for any old job, write it on the list and say that I've applied to them.

It's easy to lie as long as you write a list of jobs with dates on them and bull **** them. They are convinced and you get your money. I would put in the effort, but I won't get employed and I can't apply to jobs effectively untl I get my accommodation address. Until then, just playing the game.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by Patched
Yeah, but It's not easy when there's not that many jobs available, which depends on where you live. Like me, there's not many jobs in my area and the website rarely update with new jobs :/

Ouch that sucks, job availability is not an issue here in London :/
Reply 27
Original post by Ammish
8 a week for me. I hardly apply to any as of recent because I'm moving away to attend University. So I end up using indeed and search for any old job, write it on the list and say that I've applied to them.

It's easy to lie as long as you write a list of jobs with dates on them and bull **** them. They are convinced and you get your money. I would put in the effort, but I won't get employed and I can't apply to jobs effectively untl I get my accommodation address. Until then, just playing the game.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you just pretend you've applied to any job you see? I'm literally going to have to do this otherwise I'll get chucked off at this rate, as most jobs I'm not even qualified for, but if I just put it down atleast I won't get thrown off.

I'm going to ring them tomorrow and try to sort this out.

Original post by Sigma44
Ouch that sucks, job availability is not an issue here in London :/

Yeah it's crap :/ there isn't really anything, I've been trying for two months before I signed on the other week, still haven't even had an interview anywhere!
Original post by Patched
Yeah it's crap :/ there isn't really anything, I've been trying for two months before I signed on the other week, still haven't even had an interview anywhere!

Stick with it. It's just a matter of throwing as much **** at a wall and hoping some sticks. Try and ramp up the volunteer work to plug gaps in your CV.
Original post by Patched
I have to apply to three a day (42 every 2 weeks). My friend has to apply for three a week (6 every 2 weeks).

I really think this is unfair. There isn't that many jobs around for me to apply to every two weeks?! It's well known there's no jobs around, I've been on it a week and I'm already struggling to find any vacancies. It's not that I don't want a job because I really do and I'm really desperate for the money, but there's a chance I'll be chucked off soon through not being able to meet those 42 jobs every 2 weeks, and then my money will be stopped which I'm using to pay for my tutor!

I don't see how it's fair how someone my age has to only apply to 3 a week, yet I have to apply for 3 a day! They don't go to the same job centre as me but a nearby one. I would have thought it would be the same for everyone and considering that we are the same age I think it's a bit wrong.

I don't know if I should go to that job centre instead and discuss how I'm struggling to find enough vacancies every day, and see if I can sign on there instead.

I've heard very bad experiences from the people from my job centre, so I think they're just doing it so I'm not going to be on it for long and they can chuck me off due to not applying to enough jobs...

3 jobs a day?! Are you sure? For a new claiment that's mental! It's not just a case of applying to every and any old job, if you want to maximise the efficiency of your Jobsearch you need to make sure the jobs you are applying for meet the level of skill, hours and location that you can feasably work at. It's a collosal waste of time to be applying for jobs you are completely under or overqualified for or for a 4 hour position that you have to commute to another town to.

Furthermore, you don't have to spend 40 hours a week applying for jobs as the activities you undertake to increase your chances of a job offer are not limited to this: you can take the time to volunteer or learn skills to improve your CV too.

Finally, 5 laboured, well put together job applications are better than 20 rushed, poorly thought out ones.
Reply 30
Original post by noneofthemknew
3 jobs a day?!
Are you sure? For a new claiment that's mental! It's not just a case of applying to every and any old job, if you want to maximise the efficiency of your Jobsearch you need to make sure the jobs you are applying for meet the level of skill, hours and location that you can feasably work at. It's a collosal waste of time to be applying for jobs you are completely under or overqualified for or for a 4 hour position that you have to commute to another town to.

Furthermore, you don't have to spend 40 hours a week applying for jobs as the activities you undertake to increase your chances of a job offer are not limited to this: you can take the time to volunteer or learn skills to improve your CV too.

Finally, 5 laboured, well put together job applications are better than 20 rushed, poorly thought out ones.

100% sure. I have it in writing. AT LEAST 3 a day, on top of redoing my CV, and going to some training thing at morrisons. It's all a bit stupid and a complete waste of time. I think my advisor is just a bit of a bitch to be honest and doesn't give a **** if I get chucked off or not. My mums friend is a manager at a job centre near me and she seemed shocked when she told her and told me to just put rubbish down and move to another job centre to sort it out! That was coming from a manager! So it can't just be me being 'lazy' which I'm sure my advisor would probably say.
Reply 31
Original post by Moosferatu
Stick with it. It's just a matter of throwing as much **** at a wall and hoping some sticks. Try and ramp up the volunteer work to plug gaps in your CV.

Yeah tell me about it. I've applied for a volunteering job at the samaritans, so I'm hoping I get that :smile:
Original post by Patched
Yeah tell me about it. I've applied for a volunteering job at the samaritans, so I'm hoping I get that :smile:

May I ask what formal qualifications you have?
Reply 33
Original post by carlos10000
May I ask what formal qualifications you have?

11 GCSE's, mainly A'S and B'S, and three A-Levels grade BBC. Going to uni next year.
The crazy thing is you may well be over qualified for alot of jobs that are out there.
Reply 35
Original post by carlos10000
The crazy thing is you may well be over qualified for alot of jobs that are out there.

I think that's why I don't hear back from anyone. They probably get plenty of applicants just with GCSE's and would prefer that.
Reply 36
My flatmate has just signed off. He had to list 7 attempts at finding work per week or something. It will tell you in your job seeker agreement what you have to do. Just phoning, emailing or dropping in a CV all counted towards this seven per week.

A few tips he told me:

Usually when you sign on, they don;t really check your job sheet/diary but when you get a letter asking you to see your advisor they will keep your job sheet on these occasions. The best thing to do is to list jobs advertised on places like gumtree as some of them just say the type of job and where it is so it is harder for them to check up on you. Also say that you handed in a few CV's (they always get lost) and say you phoned a few massive organisations (again difficult to check up on you.)

This may seem dishonest and drastic but they do not give a s*** about you or try to find you a job. They are solely there to try and catch you out in some slight way so they can sanction you or worse take away your benefits. Never volunteer information unless asked for and don't tick the box that allows them to check up on your applications on the jobsearch website. I think they were trying to make this compulsory but when my friend was doing this it was still voluntary.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by punani
My flatmate has just signed off. He had to list 7 attempts at finding work per week or something. It will tell you in your job seeker agreement what you have to do. Just phoning, emailing or dropping in a CV all counted towards this seven per week.

A few tips he told me:

Usually when you sign on, they don;t really check your job sheet/diary but when you get a letter asking you to see your advisor they will keep your job sheet on these occasions. The best thing to do is to list jobs advertised on places like gumtree as some of them just say the type of job and where it is so it is harder for them to check up on you. Also say that you handed in a few CV's (they always get lost) and say you phoned a few massive organisations (again difficult to check up on you.)

This may seem dishonest and drastic but they do not give a s*** about you or try to find you a job. They are solely there to try and catch you out in some slight way so they can sanction you or worse take away your benefits. Never volunteer information unless asked for and don't tick the box that allows them to check up on your applications on the jobsearch website. I think they were trying to make this compulsory but when my friend was doing this it was still voluntary.

You see, my job centre doesn't allow dropping your CV or phoning to ask whether there are vacancies. It doesn't 'count' towards your weekly/daily goal, which in my opinion is a bit stupid as it's still steps towards getting a job.

I had to click the tick box, she said I wouldn't receive my benefit otherwise.

To be honest it sounds like this woman was just telling me as much rubbish and making it as difficult as she could for me.
Reply 38
Original post by Patched
You see, my job centre doesn't allow dropping your CV or phoning to ask whether there are vacancies. It doesn't 'count' towards your weekly/daily goal, which in my opinion is a bit stupid as it's still steps towards getting a job.

I had to click the tick box, she said I wouldn't receive my benefit otherwise.

To be honest it sounds like this woman was just telling me as much rubbish and making it as difficult as she could for me.

Brutal! Sounds like you manged to get the office Nazi. Lucky you. If I were you I'd go to my local Citizens Advice Bureau. They'll be able to tell you what the real deal is.
Reply 39
Original post by Sigma44

Did they tell you that reed doesn't count? Jobcentre's Universal Match itself is a joke and rubbish website, half of the jobs I've seen either have only contact details with no "Apply" button or redirects to an external website :erm:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending