The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

Help me! Computer Science at OU

I have a few questions that maybe someone on here can help me with

Question 1.

I want tot study Computer Science, I assumed the title of the course would be BA (Hons) Computer Science, yet I cant find it on the OU website, all I see that is similar is http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/qualification/pathways/q62-9.htm is this the computer science course?

Question 2.
As Im planning to self-fund my studies am I able to pay on a module by module basis? and is there a time limit I have to complete the module/degree? as it going to take along time to same enough money!

Question 3.
Are their any downsides to studying comp science at OU? and will it still be as "worthy" as a degree from a physical uni?
Reply 1
If you look towards the bottom of the page for each degree, it tells you the maximum length of time to complete it - so, for example, for the course you've linked to it's a maximum of 16 years.

Can I ask why you're planning to self-fund your degree? If you aren't eligible for funding then of course that's one thing, but if you are then bear in mind that they'll only fund you to do your first degree (so, paying your own way now wouldn't allow you to later do another degree and get a loan for tuition fees); and the terms for paying it back aren't particularly onerous (you don't pay anything unless/until your wages are above a certain level and then it's on a sliding scale; and if your wages drop below that level you stop paying again). I'm paying for my OU degree (which will probably cost about 5k total - I'm on the old fees) because I already have a degree so I'm not eligible for funding; but if I were able to get a tuition fee loan I'd probably take it - and if my fees were three times as much I would definitely find paying them myself unmanageable.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Reply 2
I already used three years funding, the third year I didn't get to complete as I had a few personal problems. From my understanding OU charge by the module so studying 60 credits a year would cost around 2.5k that would just about be manajable for me... id probs take 3-6 years anyway depending on the money situation, but id probs not start my degree till next year so I have time to raise the money.
Just if im gona spend 15k.. I want to be sure OU degrees are accepted no less than degrees from physical unis such as Cardiff.

Trish x

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
1. The one you linked is the closest thing to a 'computer science' degree, yep. It's just not called that. Check through the modules and make sure that's the kind of thing you want to do.

2. If you're paying yourself I'm pretty sure you pay by the module. You may also be able to get an OUSBA account, which is a credit account where you pay in monthly instalments (but it does charge interest so you'd end up paying more overall).

3. Personally, I've heard nothing but positive comments from my employers. I am almost finished with my BSc (Hons) Computing & IT degree, and I now work mostly with databases and SQL but also some web development. I only got the job a couple of months ago, and it was advertised as a graduate job. Clearly my unfinished OU degree looked good enough for them to hire me, heh.

Quick Reply

Latest