The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by gonewandering
Trouble is I can't see it!

Have a friend of mine who reckons he can rip it out but also on good terms with our local garage so will see what they think if that fails.

From a removal point of view, it was only a very basic install. They sent a random guy round who installed it with a lunch box containing a few pairs of pliers and some electrical tape.... So I'm guessing it's not very hightech or permanent.

Will keep people posted. Guess I'm not the only one looking for ways not to pay their extortionate removal fees.

I wouldn't leave some guy like that alone with my car personally, should have kept an eye on him :wink:

IT shouldn't be too hard to find. If it wasn't a very professional install then it'll be somewhere easy to see, probably above the footwells under the dash, or maybe in the boot under some of the carpet. You're probably best off just cutting through the cable where it goes into the box and taping off the end, before tucking it away up under the dash. This minimises the chances of damaging your car loom if you're not entirely sure what you're doing.
Reply 21
They stick them in some random places. It depends on the car.
Mine was fitted behind the instrument cluster.
Some are fitted in the wheel arch. Glove box is a common area.
Mine is behind the glove box. The guy just took the glove box out, stuck it in there and stuck the glove box back.
UPDATE:
I found a guy that fits these sorts of tracker boxes for a living and he removed it for me in 10 minutes for a third of the price the insurance company wanted.

He says its not something you should attempt to remove yourself. A lot of insurance companies wire the into the immobiliser, so they will imobilise the car if you tamper with it.

But now it's gone and I'm getting used to driving properly and safely again. And, interestingly, the car's performance is quite noticeably improved: more responsive and nippy.
Reply 24
i had one fitted behind the glove box, for me i would have to remove the entire glove box (4 screws), pretty easy, and dont worry about taking the whole thing out, just unplug it and thats more or less
Reply 25
There usually fitted behind the dash. My mate bought a car with one in it a few months back. About 25minutes removing the dash then 5 minutes with the claw end of a hammer ripping the ****ty box out. There was a power wire going to the wiring loom behind the dash. The fitting was botched so we had to desoder that. There was also an aeriel in the front pillar next to the windscreen... couldnt be bothered removing that so we just snipped the cable and left it in. All in all it took me about an hour. 30minutes of that was putting the damn dash back on.
Original post by Anthony.BF
Most of them charge you to remove the box.

I would never have a box fitted to my car, and I would never buy a car with a box on it. In fact, I'd never buy a car that had even had a box fitted and removed in the past...

No,No,No!

I agree.
The black boxes are ****
Reply 27
I removed the box fitted by co-op, simple enough to remove. it has one wire coming out of a black box which splits into 5 (3x ignition and 2x power) just snipped / pulled out each one and was sure to use some electrical tape in the necessary places.
I have been monitoring (in conjunction with my son) his early dashboard results from his Hasting Direct Black Box and I would say the scoring method is crafty.

It appears that you could make a long daylight journey (say 100 miles) but if on the same day you drive up the local fuel station and back (2 miles) after 10pm you will score 0/100 for the 24 hour period. Which obviously dramatically affects your average rating.

Is my assumption correct and have other users had any similar experiences?
Original post by Rangersboy66
I have been monitoring (in conjunction with my son) his early dashboard results from his Hasting Direct Black Box and I would say the scoring method is crafty.

It appears that you could make a long daylight journey (say 100 miles) but if on the same day you drive up the local fuel station and back (2 miles) after 10pm you will score 0/100 for the 24 hour period. Which obviously dramatically affects your average rating.

Is my assumption correct and have other users had any similar experiences?

Mines never fell THAT dramatically after 10pm. Its more like 40/100 its dramatic but not THAT dramatic

Tbf I've not done it that much and my score is in the high 90's still!
I have a box with Hastings SmartMiles and I've found that regardless of the miles you've done in the week, if you drive a minute past 10PM you get a 0 for the day. Also, I've found that my 'average' daily score for time of day has seriously decreased and is not infact an average at all. I've had the box two months and of the 56 days of recorded data i've had 54 scores of 100 and 2 scores of 0 (as I've been very careful not to drive late!).. Yet my 'average' score is 32?!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 31
My insurance company are also going to charge me £90 to take the box out or they can just deactivate it.
But my insurance also state that they own the black box and that I need to mention that it has a black box fitted to whoever purchases the car. I'm temped to just pay £90 to get the box taken out because I don't want them to own anything that is attached to my car. This black box insurance has ended up costing me a fortune and I've never once broken the speed limit or driven at night. :mad:
Original post by Spridget
Slightly off topic, but how much leeway is there for their tolerance of speed? Do you get marked down instantly the second the GPS thinks you've gone 1mph too fast?

Just thinking of the GPS on my running watch which occasionally gets confused by trees/ buildings and registers a burst of speed that Usain Bolt would be proud of through the solid walls of buildings 10m from the road I'm actually on. Hell, I've flown aeroplanes with two GPS receivers that didn't want to agree! And what about tunnels? I drive through the A38 tunnels every so often which are usually enough to confuse my sat nav- what happens to the data in there?

Say for example if you see a sign up ahead that says 40mph and the road is currently 30mph, you cannot speed up until you pass the 40mph sign otherwise the box will pick up on that.

Vice versa - If you're doing 50mph and it goes down to a 30mph you have to make sure you're doing 30mph by the time you pass the sign.

I have a box and I am tailgated SO much for doing bang on the speed limit. Does not bother me anymore though as A) I am used to it and B) I have cruise control so if its 30mph I can set it to that and won't be pressured into going over.

Oh and in response to your question if you go 1 or 2mph over that won't take effect and I'm with ingenie and believe me they are strict. They also measure cornering, acceleration and braking.
Original post by Ellicia12
I have a box with Hastings SmartMiles and I've found that regardless of the miles you've done in the week, if you drive a minute past 10PM you get a 0 for the day. Also, I've found that my 'average' daily score for time of day has seriously decreased and is not infact an average at all. I've had the box two months and of the 56 days of recorded data i've had 54 scores of 100 and 2 scores of 0 (as I've been very careful not to drive late!).. Yet my 'average' score is 32?!

Bell doesn't have a curfew, but states night time driving would affect scores, I didn't really see that happening.

Original post by Phoque
My insurance company are also going to charge me £90 to take the box out or they can just deactivate it.
But my insurance also state that they own the black box and that I need to mention that it has a black box fitted to whoever purchases the car. I'm temped to just pay £90 to get the box taken out because I don't want them to own anything that is attached to my car. This black box insurance has ended up costing me a fortune and I've never once broken the speed limit or driven at night. :mad:

If you saw where they placed it, you could do it yourself....my one is deactivated but still with the same insurer...I could take it out myself, they attached mine near the fuse box.
Reply 34
Original post by Iqbal007
Bell doesn't have a curfew, but states night time driving would affect scores, I didn't really see that happening.

If you saw where they placed it, you could do it yourself....my one is deactivated but still with the same insurer...I could take it out myself, they attached mine near the fuse box.

Do the company not want the box back?
Original post by Phoque
Do the company not want the box back?

Nope, they are more than happy to leave it in there....the cost to them is to send someone out to take it out.
Reply 36
Normally companies charge to remove them. If they're not removed then the company will still track your car even if you are no longer with them and will sell the information gathered from yours and other cars to third parties. However, if you have changed your insurance you can ask them to deactivate the box (should be free of charge) and they are obligated to turn off the box.
Original post by Wyrley
Normally companies charge to remove them. If they're not removed then the company will still track your car even if you are no longer with them and will sell the information gathered from yours and other cars to third parties. However, if you have changed your insurance you can ask them to deactivate the box (should be free of charge) and they are obligated to turn off the box.

This is true, though if you want it completely removed,it'll probably be cheaper to pay someone to do it for you! Ofc, only do this AFTER your insurance is up!
Original post by gonewandering
Its not deactivated after the policy finished; its used to collect data which they then sell. So it could go on having an affect on your insurance prices and who knows what happens if you speed.

I wouldn't advise anyone to have one of these boxes. Yes its saved me £500 but its dangerous and I feel its made me a worse driver. You spend your whole life staring at the speedometer and not the road. You basically cant brake and have to try and coast or use gears to slow down. And you can't accelerate so end up annoying people behind you or merging at dangerously low speeds. Driving on the motorway with one fitted is tantamount to suicide
And if police or ambulance (or a tailgater) comes up behind you, you haven't got the leeway to go over the limit to get out the way.
And there is no official leeway. I've gone over a little bit (1-3mph) without penalties, but in the policy documents it said any speeding will lead to the policy being canceled.
And the night time driving is a nightmare. 1 minute after 10pm and your score is 0 for the day.

It saved me £500 for the first year, but then when the renewal came (despite having gained a 95% perfect driving score) the prices for a normal policy were actually cheaper than having the box. But I had no intention of keeping the box anyway!
There's a reason the policies with boxes are the worst rated -if you can afford it, stay well clear!

But back to topic.
When they came out to fit it, it was only a small box (about the size of a old fashioned computer hard drive) and they fitted it under the steering column where all the fuses and wires and stuff are. I've had it open and can't actually see anything.
A friend of mine reckons its only been spliced onto the wires, should be easy to remove.
I don't want to go messing though -so was hoping someone else who had had one of these policies would share their experiences.

basically you have to drive properly as per all the driver development texts and training teach ...
I'm in the same boat, my insurance ended and they won't take it out, but I really want it out because I saw in the news that black boxes lower your music level and ive always noticed it on mine but I've thought it was the car! Mine also beeps a lot when going fast, even though it's supposed to be not active I still hear it beeping where it would normally mark me down... Strongly advise against the black box... I'm looking to get my taken out myself but have no knowledge of where it is! Anybody know? I've got a 2014 corsa!

Latest

Trending

Trending