The Student Room Group

QUB Medicine 2014

Hey guys,

Just looking to see who all is applying for medicine at Queen's this year?

Im a first time graduate applicant, if there are any other graduates out there applying?

:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi i am a graduate also, i applied to queens last year and was offered a place. unfortunately i missed out on a 2:1 by 2% due to some mitigating circumstances. So i am reapplying this year in the hope that they may accept my degree as my university school director wrote to them and explained my case.
Reply 2
Im applying:biggrin: - undergrad though!
Reply 3
What was your undergraduate degree in jmmahon15? Sorry to hear you missed out on it last year! hopefully though with the experience of the MMI etc under your belt you will be fine for this year!

Have you both sat your UKCAT yet?
Reply 4
yes, sat ukcat and got 3 points going by the Queens scale! have you sat it yet? what do you think will be the cut off out of 42 for interviews this year?
Reply 5
Yeah I sat it a few weeks ago, got 6 points. I imagine it will be 38/39. Something similar or maybe a mark higher than last year. I think the ukcat was harder this year than last with the changes they have made to it so maybe 38 points?

What A levels are you doing? I've to go back and do chemistry and biology A levels this year, guna be strange going back to them :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Doc2be
What was your undergraduate degree in jmmahon15? Sorry to hear you missed out on it last year! hopefully though with the experience of the MMI etc under your belt you will be fine for this year!

Have you both sat your UKCAT yet?

Hey i did radiotherapy, but the fact tht i dont have a 2:1 makes me think i might have to resit my leaving cert chemistry. Im still waiting to hear back from Queens yet and i havnt done the ukcat yet. What degree did you do.
Original post by Doc2be
Yeah I sat it a few weeks ago, got 6 points. I imagine it will be 38/39. Something similar or maybe a mark higher than last year. I think the ukcat was harder this year than last with the changes they have made to it so maybe 38 points?

What A levels are you doing? I've to go back and do chemistry and biology A levels this year, guna be strange going back to them :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

From some of the scores popping up on TSR (I refer to MJK91's ruthless data collection on the UKCAT thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2338356&page=374&p=44385256&highlight=#post44385256), it seems that people are generally scoring higher this year?

Although it's possible people on TSR are just super keen (+the odd troll).

I'm currently sitting on the fence between Durham/Dundee/QUB. *decisions decisions* I love Belfast, I love QUB's course structure. The only reserve I have is that MMI. Does anyone know what the interview:redface:ffer ratio is like?
Reply 8
Yes totally agree! The people posting on tsr are those who have done exceptionally well whereas those who haven't done as well would be reluctant to post/not post at all. So I am not sure how reliable using tsr to get an idea is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by jmmahon15
Hey i did radiotherapy, but the fact tht i dont have a 2:1 makes me think i might have to resit my leaving cert chemistry. Im still waiting to hear back from Queens yet and i havnt done the ukcat yet. What degree did you do.

Yeah, you might be better ringing Queens. I imagine they are busy sorting out all the new starts this year. I did psychology at Queens.

Original post by Gills7
Yes totally agree! The people posting on tsr are those who have done exceptionally well whereas those who haven't done as well would be reluctant to post/not post at all. So I am not sure how reliable using tsr to get an idea is.

I agree, only those that did well seem to be posting, which intimidates everyone else, making us think the average is probably higher than it really is

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Cephalosporin
From some of the scores popping up on TSR (I refer to MJK91's ruthless data collection on the UKCAT thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2338356&page=374&p=44385256&highlight=#post44385256), it seems that people are generally scoring higher this year?

I'm currently sitting on the fence between Durham/Dundee/QUB. *decisions decisions* I love Belfast, I love QUB's course structure. The only reserve I have is that MMI. Does anyone know what the interview:redface:ffer ratio is like?

Yeah the MMI seems very intense. Although less biased than a panel interview in that if you don't do well at one station you can make for it at other stations. I can't remember exact numbers but they get about 900 applicants, offer approx 560 to interview, give about 370 offers for around 250 places.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
I'm a grad student, and applied this year, got an interview but then didn't get the offer. Turns out I was actually pretty high up the reserve list so I got a phonecall to offer me a place for 2013 - so it can still happen even if you don't initially get the offer!

I actually liked the MMI as it is much better than a panel interview and gives you a chance to role play and interact with actual people :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by ahorey
I'm a grad student, and applied this year, got an interview but then didn't get the offer. Turns out I was actually pretty high up the reserve list so I got a phonecall to offer me a place for 2013 - so it can still happen even if you don't initially get the offer!

I actually liked the MMI as it is much better than a panel interview and gives you a chance to role play and interact with actual people :smile:

Congratulations! Good luck with this year! What place where you on the reserve list?

Yeah I imagine the MMI is easier in that respect. Are all the questions role play based though? That's a lot of different interactive scenarios to work with!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Doc2be
Congratulations! Good luck with this year! What place where you on the reserve list?

Yeah I imagine the MMI is easier in that respect. Are all the questions role play based though? That's a lot of different interactive scenarios to work with!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile: i think i was no.2 or 3, but at that point wasnt really listening :P
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Cephalosporin

Hey you may want to reconsider applying to Dundee if you aren't from Scotland as they have a ridiculous amount of bias in their application policy. They have 106 places for Scottish students and only 28 for RUK ie England, Wales or Northern Ireland. Dont get caught out like I did last year.
I receive a total of 38 points based on ukcat and gcse's , is it too risky to apply here?
Reply 16
I think you might be ok. Last year I think those with 38 and some 37s got to interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Hi I am an EU student . Any other EU students planning to apply to QUB ?:biggrin:
Original post by jmmahon15
Hi i am a graduate also, i applied to queens last year and was offered a place. unfortunately i missed out on a 2:1 by 2% due to some mitigating circumstances. So i am reapplying this year in the hope that they may accept my degree as my university school director wrote to them and explained my case.

im a grad, predicted first in biology, a levels BBB including bio and Chen and gcsses are 5A*, 5A and 2B however my ukcat is horrendous, 605 average and band 1. Do I stand a chance?
Reply 19
PLEASE HELP ME, I NEED HELP WITH THIS.

Ok, I am really confused about the whole point system. I am new here which explains a lot!

I have achieved A*AAB in my A-Levels in Geo, Chem, Bio and phy.
I have achieved an average of 645 in my ukcat.
I have achieved 6A*S AND 5As and 1 c in english.

How many points do I get? I am not trying to be rude, so please forgive.!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending