Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which is more important to you in a relationship, looks or intelligence?

Announcements Posted on
Make a difference in the community and greet new people - join the Welcome Squad! 22-10-2014
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
  • View Poll Results: Better looking or more intelligent?
    Better looking
    31.87%
    More intelligent
    68.13%

• 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you could choose between better looks or higher intelligence as a characteristic of somebody you were in a relationship with, which would you choose?

"Person of average appearance but very intelligent." (with a good average personality)

or

"Person of average intelligence but better looking." (with a good average personality)

The last poll wasn't as clear as this poll and as such went off topic. Now the choices are clear and easier to choose between.

• 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrEFeynman)
    If you had to choose between better looks or more intelligent which would you choose?

"Person of average appearance but very intelligent."

or

"Person of average intelligence but better looking."

The last poll wasn't as clear as this poll and as such went off topic. Now the choices are clear and easier to choose between.
    "Person of average intelligence but better looking."

Without a doubt. If those two were the only options available. As long as they can hold a relatively intellectual conversation.

Can't **** an A*.
    • 194 followers

ReputationRep:
    How are we defining intelligence? If we're defining intelligence as being an educated individual who is well read and interested in things going with an interesting personality, intelligence but average looking
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Intelligence. I would even consider any type of relationship with a thicko.
    • 108 followers

ReputationRep:
    Person of average appearance but very intelligent, definitely.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    If intelligence = emotional sensitivity / being articulate and passionate and genuinely interesting, then oh God, definitely the 'more intelligent' option.

If intelligence = "on paper" sort of stuff, like 11 A* at GCSE / Cambridge maths degree / etc, then that really makes no difference at all, so I guess in that case, I'd go for the "more attractive" thing. Maybe. Actually no, definitely not. What I'm trying to say is this: I don't know about you, but for me, the "intelligent personality and inquisitive mind" sort of thing is far more attractive than the "lots of good grades" sort of intelligence.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Катя)
    If intelligence = emotional sensitivity / being articulate and passionate and genuinely interesting, then oh God, definitely the 'more intelligent' option.

If intelligence = "on paper" sort of stuff, like 11 A* at GCSE / Cambridge maths degree / etc, then that really makes no difference at all, so I guess in that case, I'd go for the "more attractive" thing. Maybe. Actually no, definitely not. What I'm trying to say is this: I don't know about you, but for me, the "intelligent personality and inquisitive mind" sort of thing is far more attractive than the "lots of good grades" sort of intelligence.
    I agree wholeheartedly with you, I guess when you vote you use your own terminology to attribute to the characteristic titles.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It is important that they have the intelligence to look attractive, but more important that they look intelligent.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, question for anybody who sees this: do you see a "good" degree from a "good" university (I don't know, say Engineering at Bristol or something, or medicine at UCL) as a prerequisite to be considered "intelligent"?

In other words: is higher education at a reputable institution a "must"?

(I'm just asking because I know lots of people who are technically "intelligent", but are incredibly boring to talk to on the whole, and aren't interested in anything except how jealousy-inducing their salary/partner/car is, or whatever. With these people, had I never known that they actually have a million A* results for every exam they've ever taken or whatever, I would probably have classed them as "kind of idiots, really"...)
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to answer, but I get the feeling lots of people will say intelligence just to look good for themselves.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrEFeynman)
    If you could choose between better looks or higher intelligence as a characteristic of somebody you were in a relationship with, which would you choose?

"Person of average appearance but very intelligent." (with a good average personality)

or

"Person of average intelligence but better looking." (with a good average personality)

Normal/Decent looks but very intelligent!
    Some one who can have a good debate with me or atleast an interesting converstaion.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punani)
    It is important that they have the intelligence to look attractive, but more important that they look intelligent.
    What do you mean by 'intelligence to look attractive'? As in, if they don't spend hours in the gym to look "mainstream-ly attractive", then they're automatically not intelligent? :confused:

What does 'look intelligent' mean? Do you mean, 'have the appearance of the classic stereotype of a "nerdy" guy/girl' or something? :confused:

In conclusion: :confused:

(Sorry, I'm just tired.)
    • 108 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sugar-n-spice)
    I'm not going to answer, but I get the feeling lots of people will say intelligence just to look good for themselves.
    Or, y'know, 'cause that's actually what they'd prefer...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Intelligence, at least what I would class as real intelligence. Is a greater breadth of knowledge and understanding, with the ability to apply that knowledge and understanding to situations whether old or new and to utilize both to interpret new knowledge which you acquire.
    • 100 followers

ReputationRep:
    "Person of average appearance but very intelligent." (with a good average personality)''

Depends what me mean here though, ''Person of average appearance'' I wouldn't really be able to gauge where this is
    • 37 followers

ReputationRep:
    intelligence: lack of intelligence can get very annoying in short order.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbie242)
    "Person of average appearance but very intelligent." (with a good average personality)''

Depends what me mean here though, ''Person of average appearance'' I wouldn't really be able to gauge where this is
    Somebody who looks good to you, but isn't in the top or bottom 20%, or something like that.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Intelligence. I like geeky guys, they tend to be kinder.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    thats hard to say. if we are talking about extremes where its either:

very beautiful + dumb
    or
    unattractive + very intelligent

then i would probably pick the former. i think physical chemistry (attraction) + good personality would probably make the most ideal relationship. personality=/= intelligence, hence chances are the former may be most ideal given that it ticks the first box. intelligence =/= being nice, cool, etc... its just a trait, like preferring blondes

i was responding to the title only when i posted this not the first post
    "Person of average intelligence but better looking." (with a good average personality)" would be my choice

also, i think people are exaggerating intelligence. e.g. emotional sensitivity is a part of personality, not intelligence. you dont need intelligence to be sensitive, you need empathy/sympathy...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 8, 2013
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered Chat threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.