The Student Room Group

Not sure if I want to go to uni

My results were a lot better than I expected (predicted ABBB, got A*AAA). I got a place for Law at a RG uni but I'm starting to have doubts about going. The uni itself and the city it's in is great but I'm worried that Law isn't the best option. I chose it because its a pretty respectable degree and something that I can fall back on if my plan A (journalism) doesn't happen. A lot of people on here and elsewhere have made out that Law is boring and think that there's more value in something that you're passionate about. To be honest, the only thing I'm passionate about is Literature but I think I'd struggle with English because the whole subjectivity of it has been really challenging for me at A-level and I don't know if I'd be able to keep up at uni. I'm best at History but although it has some interesting elements I wouldn't say I'm passionate about it. I thought about Philosophy too but I think it would be too abstract for me.
I'm also not too thrilled about the accommodation I've been offered which is catered with a shared bathroom and single sex. It's possible to switch later I suppose but it's just not ideal.
The bottom line is I'm having cold feet about committing thousands of pounds to something that I'm worried I might regret doing but then again I don't really know what I'd rather do instead so I feel like I should just go for it rather than taking a gap year and being in the same situation next year. I just don't know what the sensible thing to do even is at this point because I've over-thought it so much so some honest opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply 1
People who always say follow your dream are cute. Unfortunately, we aren't all Steve Jobs or Bill Gates, some of us do things we don't like for good reasons.

Congratulations on literally destroying the anus of your exams! I'd suggest go to uni! I'm sure you'll love it when you there! Law is a very respectable degree, and i'm sure you'll find it interesting.

I wanted to do a science related degree at uni, but I just wasn't good enough at it to do it. That's not an admission of giving up, that's being real and working to my strengths. I found I was very good at Economics (at a-level) so I chose a business related degree which i'll start soon.

Go to uni!
Honestly, it's something only you can decide, everyone thinks differently. The only advice I'd offer is that there's no shame or real negative impact if you take a year (or a couple of years) out until you decide what you really want to do. There's no point spending three years studying something which you have no passion for and probably wont to pursue as a career.

I went to university when I was younger, loathed the course, dropped out, worked for a bit and went back to do something I was passionate about. In hindsight I wish I could have saved the messing about and not bothered starting the first course at all. I'm very happy doing what I'm doing now though. So, in your situation, with much the same doubts, I'd personally take a year out and really research different courses which do interest you, down to the level of looking at module content if necessary. If you're able to gain any experience during the year out, that's always nice too.
Reply 3
I'd suggest taking a gap year if you really are unsure as you're pretty much guaranteed an offer at a good uni with those results, but just make sure you make use of the gap year so that unis don't just think you're lazy.

At the end of the day you go to uni to get a better CV in order to get the job of your dreams. Putting up with 3 years of hardship for a lifetime of a job you like is a better option than doing 3 years of a degree you love only to get a lifetime of a job you don't really enjoy.

Or maybe you can do both, for example I'm doing dentistry and I enjoy both the course and the job at the end of it. :smile:
Reply 4
What you need to understand is that you are in a very good position academically. With grades like that you stand a very good chance of getting into some epic universities - sky's the limit!
The thing is law does tend to suck. It's one of those degrees which is useful but never that fun for anybody (but maybe you'll like it?)

If you want to do journalism then I seriously recommend you study politics. It's an extremely useful subject for journalism and I'm really surprised you haven't considered it. I did politics for an a-level and at uni but you don't have to have studied it at a-level, my sister didn't and she got on fine.
Reply 5
Original post by bbb136
What you need to understand is that you are in a very good position academically. With grades like that you stand a very good chance of getting into some epic universities - sky's the limit!
The thing is law does tend to suck. It's one of those degrees which is useful but never that fun for anybody (but maybe you'll like it?)
If you want to do journalism then I seriously recommend you study politics. It's an extremely useful subject for journalism and I'm really surprised you haven't considered it. I did politics for an a-level and at uni but you don't have to have studied it at a-level, my sister didn't and she got on fine.

Misconception, unless you are at an elite university.

Degrees I would choose if i could choose again: Engineering, Maths, Economics.
Reply 6
Original post by Mr_Vain
Misconception, unless you are at an elite university.

Degrees I would choose if i could choose again: Engineering, Maths, Economics.

Those damn international students taking our British students places!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Ggmu!
Those damn international students taking our British students places!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Glad you agree. But then again, as an example, London is no longer an English city anyway. This country has effectively been colonized by open door policy liberals.
Law is a good degree to have as a back up, as you've realised. If I were you, I would go to uni - you'll only be in the same position next year, but a year out of education and wishing you hadn't wasted your time.

Of course, ^^^ = Opinion.
Reply 9
Original post by Ggmu!
People who always say follow your dream are cute. Unfortunately, we aren't all Steve Jobs or Bill Gates, some of us do things we don't like for good reasons.

Congratulations on literally destroying the anus of your exams! I'd suggest go to uni! I'm sure you'll love it when you there! Law is a very respectable degree, and i'm sure you'll find it interesting.

I wanted to do a science related degree at uni, but I just wasn't good enough at it to do it. That's not an admission of giving up, that's being real and working to my strengths. I found I was very good at Economics (at a-level) so I chose a business related degree which i'll start soon.

Go to uni!

I agree with the we have to do things we don't like for good reasons. . But dont do law if youre not into it.. you will probably just dropout.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
If I were you I would take a gap year, and really think about what you want to do. You're in a very good position with those grades, and you should be able to get into almost any Uni. In the meantime, you might want to work, travel, or whatever you feel like (I wouldn't advise being a bum - that won't help applications for next year). Committing to 4 years (I think for law?) is a long time, and I don't think I would be fully committed to my studies if I didn't enjoy what I was doing.
Reply 11
Original post by loshielep
My results were a lot better than I expected (predicted ABBB, got A*AAA). I got a place for Law at a RG uni but I'm starting to have doubts about going. The uni itself and the city it's in is great but I'm worried that Law isn't the best option. I chose it because its a pretty respectable degree and something that I can fall back on if my plan A (journalism) doesn't happen. A lot of people on here and elsewhere have made out that Law is boring and think that there's more value in something that you're passionate about. To be honest, the only thing I'm passionate about is Literature but I think I'd struggle with English because the whole subjectivity of it has been really challenging for me at A-level and I don't know if I'd be able to keep up at uni. I'm best at History but although it has some interesting elements I wouldn't say I'm passionate about it. I thought about Philosophy too but I think it would be too abstract for me.
I'm also not too thrilled about the accommodation I've been offered which is catered with a shared bathroom and single sex. It's possible to switch later I suppose but it's just not ideal.
The bottom line is I'm having cold feet about committing thousands of pounds to something that I'm worried I might regret doing but then again I don't really know what I'd rather do instead so I feel like I should just go for it rather than taking a gap year and being in the same situation next year. I just don't know what the sensible thing to do even is at this point because I've over-thought it so much so some honest opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!

You have awesome grades mate so well done for that. I don't think you should take a year out because firstly Law is a solid degree to have due to its versatility and vocational aspect it entails. You could undertake a Law degree and get work experience in the field of journalism with the help of your faculty to complement your studies. Secondly as you said, if journalism somehow fails to work out you will be sure to have a secure backbone with your law degree. Law is such an evolving discipline just like journalism so they both go hand-in-hand and complement each other. Who knows, what if you change your mind about law if you did endure a gap year? Another option could be to start the academic year and see how you like the first 2-4 weeks. If you seem to enjoy learning about law and all that it has to offer then great, but if not, then you could see if journalism is offered as a degree by the university and ask to transfer that course. :smile:
Reply 12
With those grades, you'd hurt my feelings if you went to Sheffield.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by loshielep

From your results I think you would handle English Literature fine! If it is your dream then go for it! I am doing English lit as well (at Nottingham uni, what is RG?) although I got higher exam results for history, follow your passion and do what you love and live with no regrets. :smile:

you will literally be so bitter if you take a law degree, it is not what you want to do and an English degree can open many pathways, you can even do a law conversion course if you decide on becoming a lawyer but please do what you want to do, or you will end up dropping out and regretting it.

As a word of advice all student accommodation is bad anyway :wink:

Take a gap year, work and earn so money so maybe you can have better accommodation and then apply for 2014, your grades are amazing you will have no trouble getting into a better uni.

As you said the only thing you are passionate about is literature and I can not stress this enough you have to do what makes you happy in life because it is yours and it is up to you what your path is. I would not worry too much about what looks respectable, I choose physics at a level because it was 'respectable' and had a terrible time of it, and another course would have been fine. So the key to life is doing what makes you happy, please please please do not commit to a course you are not happy with. It is something I feel passionate about as well because I had dreams that I did not pursue because it was not deemed 'respectable' and I regret it so much.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Take a year out. Why not? A nice break before another 3 to 7 years of education.
Reply 15
Law is oversubscribed now anyway :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Cityking94
You have awesome grades mate so well done for that. I don't think you should take a year out because firstly Law is a solid degree to have due to its versatility and vocational aspect it entails. You could undertake a Law degree and get work experience in the field of journalism with the help of your faculty to complement your studies. Secondly as you said, if journalism somehow fails to work out you will be sure to have a secure backbone with your law degree. Law is such an evolving discipline just like journalism so they both go hand-in-hand and complement each other. Who knows, what if you change your mind about law if you did endure a gap year? Another option could be to start the academic year and see how you like the first 2-4 weeks. If you seem to enjoy learning about law and all that it has to offer then great, but if not, then you could see if journalism is offered as a degree by the university and ask to transfer that course. :smile:

As a law degree grad: wrong. What the kid needs is an elite university with any subject (within reason).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending