The Student Room Group

Year 14 - Can I get funding?

Hey,

I'm basically wondering whether you think I'm eligible for a third year of sixth form, since my schools seems to have no idea what's going on. Here's my situation:

In my first year I took Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics, achieving 5A's.

In my second year I took Maths, Further Maths, Biology and Chemistry achieving 4A*s.

I was unsuccessful in my application to university last year (for VetMed) and I want to spend this year finishing Physics A2. However, I cannot afford the exam costs that my school wants me to pay just for taking Physics, but if I take three subjects then technically I can be part of the student roll. (Hopefully Physics A2, French AS and Additional Further Maths AS)

Considering my A Level results - am I still allowed to do year 14? I get the impression that once three A Levels have been achieved, funding is no longer allowed unless its for resits...

Thanks in advance, Will.
Reply 1
You'd most likely have to pay to sit them at a private candidate.
Reply 2
Original post by Damask-
You'd most likely have to pay to sit them at a private candidate.

That's what I thought... But under 19 year olds are entitled free education...

I think it's slightly unfair that people that fail are practically entitled to another year, but people that do well aren't? All I want to do is further my subjects in my forced gap year...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Willisme1
That's what I thought... But under 19 year olds are entitled free education...

I think it's slightly unfair that people that fail are practically entitled to another year, but people that do well aren't? All I want to do is further my subjects in my forced gap year...

Posted from TSR Mobile

You've had your free education, and it's at the discretion of your college as to whether you get another year. You come across as pretty selfish and entitled, given that you've already done four A-Levels. By re-enrolling, you'd be taking a place away from someone who probably has a lot more to gain from it than you do.

If you were predicted 4 A*s or similar, clearly the reason you were unsuccessful wasn't your grades. Try and strengthen your PS, get some more work experience or self-teach A2 physics if you really think it'll help, but don't whine about not being able to do another year when there's absolutely no reason for you to do so.
Reply 4
I just question whats the point of doing more A levels?

No one really cares about your A levels once you complete a degree, apart from meeting UCAS point requirement (Which if you got into Vetinary, is highly unlikely you wont meet it)

Why dont you get a part time job / more work experience instead? Will be much more valued.
Reply 5
Original post by Damask-
You've had your free education, and it's at the discretion of your college as to whether you get another year. You come across as pretty selfish and entitled, given that you've already done four A-Levels. By re-enrolling, you'd be taking a place away from someone who probably has a lot more to gain from it than you do.

If you were predicted 4 A*s or similar, clearly the reason you were unsuccessful wasn't your grades. Try and strengthen your PS, get some more work experience or self-teach A2 physics if you really think it'll help, but don't whine about not being able to do another year when there's absolutely no reason for you to do so.

Well, you've come across as very assumptious and judgemental. There are reasons that I want to take a third year. Firstly I'd like to finish of my third science subject to make a full set. I'd like to explore an interest in French as I couldn't take it at AS Level, six subjects would have been too much and my blocks clashed - but I absolutely loved French at GCSE. Finally, my backup course was going to be Maths this year, and since I'm applying with a VetMed personal statement, it's important that I make it clear that I am capable in the subject to more than a standard level.

If I am being selfish, taking away a place from someone else in the country - please do tell me why a person in my year that did absolutely no work in AS is entitled to an extra year? In mitigating circumstances, it's clear that a person deserves another chance, but blowing it on purpose and admitting to that? Ha!

I've already quadrupled my previous work experience, and have much more planned which I can work around.

I hardly think I'm wasting a year just because I already have 4 A Levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest