The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

subejct decision - 4th subject for economics international applicant to LSE UCL

Hey guys

I'm planning to apply for 2014/15 course for Economics to LSE and UCL and of course other universities. Im applying from new zealand but my nationality and first language is korean.

My grades are
IGCSE:3A*3A1B

AS: A Maths A Econ A Chinese C English literature

A Level prediction: A*(Maths- obtained) A*(Econ) A (Chinese) A (Further maths) C (Lit)

Several miseries I have:
first one being my crap AS lit grade. Would it be a huge disadvantage?

Secondly, is it better to keep literature with a C predicted or just drop it. I have to say, im an international applicant, so for us we like about a month of proper school left. The rest is exam period. Would there be a point in adding a C into my A*A*AA to make it A*A*AAC? although the amount of effort I had to put in to English(2nd language ) was enormous, I dont wanna make my application look bad

Also, I regret taking Chinese not like physics considering im more of a maths guy, but is it okay? I heard UCL quite likes languages and differing cultural stuff.

Lastly, since I finished maths a year earlier, unis say that the standard offer goes down to AAE or AAe from A*AA. E being Futher maths... talking specifically about LSE here, do they actually ask for a pass only? cause that seems ridiculously easy. is there anyone of you who got an offer as like B/C/D for FM??

Thanks babes
Reply 1
Original post by james0527
Hey guys

I'm planning to apply for 2014/15 course for Economics to LSE and UCL and of course other universities. Im applying from new zealand but my nationality and first language is korean.

My grades are
IGCSE:3A*3A1B

AS: A Maths A Econ A Chinese C English literature

A Level prediction: A*(Maths- obtained) A*(Econ) A (Chinese) A (Further maths) C (Lit)

Several miseries I have:
first one being my crap AS lit grade. Would it be a huge disadvantage?

Secondly, is it better to keep literature with a C predicted or just drop it. I have to say, im an international applicant, so for us we like about a month of proper school left. The rest is exam period. Would there be a point in adding a C into my A*A*AA to make it A*A*AAC? although the amount of effort I had to put in to English(2nd language ) was enormous, I dont wanna make my application look bad

Also, I regret taking Chinese not like physics considering im more of a maths guy, but is it okay? I heard UCL quite likes languages and differing cultural stuff.

Lastly, since I finished maths a year earlier, unis say that the standard offer goes down to AAE or AAe from A*AA. E being Futher maths... talking specifically about LSE here, do they actually ask for a pass only? cause that seems ridiculously easy. is there anyone of you who got an offer as like B/C/D for FM??

Thanks babes

The C could look badly on your application. Doesn't look pretty sitting next to those As. Why don't you just drop it?

You also might wanna make sure LSE accept your subject combination. I'm not sure you have enough width. M+FM count as one, they expect 2 two more full A levels (is Chinese A level accepted? - try emailing them)

Your offer will be probably AAE (ridiculously easy). They ask for an E in FM so you continue it to A2. They like FM for that reason. No it will always ask for a pass, i.e. an E.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by Lunch_Box
The C could look badly on your application. Doesn't look pretty sitting next to those As. Why don't you just drop it?

You also might wanna make sure LSE accept your subject combination. I'm not sure you have enough width. M+FM count as one, they expect 2 two more full A levels (is Chinese A level accepted? - try emailing them)

Your offer will be probably AAE (ridiculously easy). They ask for an E in FM so you continue it to A2. They like FM for that reason. No it will always ask for a pass, i.e. an E.

Yeah LSE does accept Chinese. I emailed them and this is a direct quote from their reply

" If Chinese is not your first language then it would be considered at A Level."

Well, if theyre definetly gonna ask for an E i guess that makes things super easy.

Thanks for the help
Reply 3
Sorry to trouble you as I want to ask you a question, how did you manage to get an A overall in A level Chinese, I did Chinese A level year ago, but I end up with an A in AS but a D in A2 and I still don't know what went wrong, by the way, I am a Chinese too. Could you tell me any exam tips? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending