The Student Room Group

...as evil as Chinese or Russian government?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/05/nsa-gchq-encryption-codes-security

no doubt about that. Goodbye my privacy...I'm now speechless.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
For many, this isn't really news - they've been doing it since electronic communication started.
Reply 2
Would't say it's worse than China but still very disturbing
Reply 3
Hardly surprising. I'd be worried if they couldn't do it.
Reply 4
What do you expect? They have to do their job somehow.
Reply 5
Original post by Arbolus
Hardly surprising. I'd be worried if they couldn't do it.

What are you worried about? your property? Your own life?
Reply 6
Original post by The_Duck
What do you expect? They have to do their job somehow.

So you expected them to steal your own privacy? Snooping on people around the world is their great job? You are so proud of them? okay, I understand now.
Reply 7
Original post by skunkboy
What are you worried about? your property? Your own life?

I expect a responsible government to have the ability at least to look into anyone's private emails whenever they need to, just as they once had the ability to intercept private mail. Without that, it would be next to impossible for the intelligence services to get anywhere in our digitally-connected world.

The only thing I'm surprised about is that it took this long. Cracking the encryption should have been a constant priority for the last 20 years.
Reply 8
So you expected them to steal your own privacy? Snooping on people around the world is their great job? You are so proud of them? okay, I understand now.

Yes. That is what intelligence agencies are for. I would be worried if our intelligence agencies were incapable of this. Besides, I don't have anything in my emails that i dont mind some government person reading. Its not as if im going to get robbed or killed as a result.
Reply 9
Original post by Arbolus
I expect a responsible government to have the ability at least to look into anyone's private emails whenever they need to, just as they once had the ability to intercept private mail. Without that, it would be next to impossible for the intelligence services to get anywhere in our digitally-connected world.

The only thing I'm surprised about is that it took this long. Cracking the encryption should have been a constant priority for the last 20 years.

Haha, you think those terorrists are still using the internet? Those secret agents underestimated them. I won't be surprised if there is another suicide bombing in UK or US.
Reply 10
Hope they don't start offering their services to hack people's email, facebook and twitter accounts or I'll have to get a real job to pay my way through uni!
Reply 11
Yes. That is what intelligence agencies are for. I would be worried if our intelligence agencies were incapable of this. Besides, I don't have anything in my emails that i dont mind some government person reading. Its not as if im going to get robbed or killed as a result.

Haha, you trust those nosy agents? You wouldn't be surprised if your money in the bank become invisible?
Reply 12
Haha, you trust those nosy agents? You wouldn't be surprised if your money in the bank become invisible?

Yes, I do. Firstly, their job is to protect national security. Secondly, i am very close to one of them and I understand the filter system they use.

Also, do you understand how banks work? I can't just see my money at any time.
How are china and our beloved Российская evil
(edited 10 years ago)
How do you think Putin would deal with Ed Miliband?
He would brutally slaughter him for the honour of Russia
Reply 17
Yes, I do. Firstly, their job is to protect national security. Secondly, i am very close to one of them and I understand the filter system they use.

Also, do you understand how banks work? I can't just see my money at any time.

You are very close to a secret agent? And I'm very close to angels..hehe.. I don't know how banks work,but I know bank managers don't steal people's privacy.
Why fear it?

If you have nothing to hide why worry. I'm pretty sure that 99% of anyone's emails are pretty boring and the other 1% are suspicious at best. Not incriminating.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
Why fear it?

If you have nothing to hide why worry. I'm pretty sure that 99% of anyone's emails are pretty boring and the other 1% are suspicious at best. Not incriminating.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not about having nothing to hide it's about being in everyone elses business, frankly i'm annoyed (although not treating it as a world disaster like the guardian) that our civil liberties keep being restricted (the right to privacy) so that we can keep the country safe from terrorists (who are coming largly from areas that have been droned, I wonder why).

How about I CCTV you taking a dump? You've got nothing to hide so why fear it?

Furthermore have any of you considered the precautions, I quote Cardinal Richeilieu
"If one would give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest man, I would find something in them to have him hanged"

The information could be used to blackmail and lobby government officials.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending