The Student Room Group

Nazi Russia

Ok, so the title might be hyperbolic, but I'm just trying to put across my point.

Russia in recent years has went backwards and with all these new laws and imprisoning protesters (Pussy Riot). You can't help but think that Russia is a police state. Along with the dreadful corruption and brainwashing of the people, I can't see why something hasn't been said (other than Russia is powerful and America and the UK have to stay relatively friendly with them.
Russia was never much of a liberal democracy and considering what it went from it's made a lot of progress. Plus we've got hate speech laws so we're hardly best proponents of freedom of speech and we've banned protesting at times so not best proponents of freedom of expression (see all incidents of EDL marches being banned). And it's not like Britain or the US haven't ever given disproportionate sentencing (tons of examples from US but for the UK see the rioting in 2011).

What exactly do you expect America/Britain to say? Obama commented that he was disappointed in it (Pussy riot's imprisonment). And Britain and USA have stated that they're going to talk to Russia on LGBT rights in the upcoming summit.

And really how bad is it? It's not like Russia's killing gay people or making homosexuality illegal. Plus majority of Russians people support the bill. Obviously majority doesn't equal right but what the majority think is always going to have an effect in a democracy.
Original post by MickIAC
Ok, so the title might be hyperbolic, but I'm just trying to put across my point.

Russia in recent years has went backwards and with all these new laws and imprisoning protesters (Pussy Riot). You can't help but think that Russia is a police state. Along with the dreadful corruption and brainwashing of the people, I can't see why something hasn't been said (other than Russia is powerful and America and the UK have to stay relatively friendly with them.

Lots of countries imprison protestors.
Backwards with new laws like what?
Corruption and brainwashing of the people?
Something has already been said.
It's essentially because Russia has no tradition of liberalism or democracy. The only person who attempted to introduce it in some form was Gorbachev, and while he was probably going to get screwed over by internal factors like nationalism anyway, the West was pretty unhelpful as well. Almost every aspect of Russian life is controlled either by Putin directly through the state, the oligarchs (who, while they're not exactly fans of Putin, will support him out of fear of a left-wing resurgence) or the Church (who Putin now has the support of due to his anti-gay laws and other reactionary policies).
Reply 4
Original post by John Stuart Mill
Lots of countries imprison protestors.
Backwards with new laws like what?
Corruption and brainwashing of the people?
Something has already been said.

Putin made a law that let him stay in for another term, that ain't democracy.
The oppression of peaceful protesters is very backwards. And just because lots of countries do it, doesn't make it right.
Propaganda in Russia is ridiculous. They all think gay people are converted from being straight and they view protest groups like Pussy Riot as bad.

I spoke to a few Russians when I was on holiday and talked to them about Pussy Riot and they kind of laughed and told me that they aren't good people. This is teenagers who are nice people being pulled over by Russian propaganda.

Although something has been said, it's quite clearly not strong enough if nothing has been done about it.
Reply 5
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
Russia was never much of a liberal democracy and considering what it went from it's made a lot of progress. Plus we've got hate speech laws so we're hardly best proponents of freedom of speech and we've banned protesting at times so not best proponents of freedom of expression (see all incidents of EDL marches being banned). And it's not like Britain or the US haven't ever given disproportionate sentencing (tons of examples from US but for the UK see the rioting in 2011).

What exactly do you expect America/Britain to say? Obama commented that he was disappointed in it (Pussy riot's imprisonment). And Britain and USA have stated that they're going to talk to Russia on LGBT rights in the upcoming summit.

And really how bad is it? It's not like Russia's killing gay people or making homosexuality illegal. Plus majority of Russians people support the bill. Obviously majority doesn't equal right but what the majority think is always going to have an effect in a democracy.

I do agree with you especially on the faults of our own countries, but Jews were similarly given laws against them that weren't too bad at first, but who's to say it won't become illegal? Of course, we'll cross that bridge if we come to it.
Original post by MickIAC
I do agree with you especially on the faults of our own countries, but Jews were similarly given laws against them that weren't too bad at first, but who's to say it won't become illegal? Of course, we'll cross that bridge if we come to it.

Oh come on, that's hyperbolic. There's very very very very very very little chance of Russia targeting homosexuals same way Hitler targeted Jews. You could say France's anti-face covering laws are paving way for Muslims to be exterminated especially when you considering the rise of hatred against Muslims. But you'd probably laugh at the idea. Russia isn't that crazy and Putin isn't going to be president forever.
Reply 7
Original post by MickIAC
Russia in recent years has went backwards and with all these new laws and imprisoning protesters (Pussy Riot).

Happens in Arab states as well.
Eg: When Saudi Arabia sent troops to end the protests which were going on in Bahrain.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
The reason there's so many neo-Nazi's is because these countries suffered so badly under the Bolshevik's They killed tens of millions of people, stuck them in camps.Yet their lives don't matter, only the holocaust.The Nazi's were the lesser evil by far, they committed atrocities and even tried to blame the Nazi's for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending