The Student Room Group

Why will no one hire me?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I've been trying for the last two years so I feel your pain. It's a grim situation. *****.
Reply 41
It really is an awful situation. In an attempt to earn some extra cash, I'm a member of Valued Opinions which is a site where you do online surveys in exchange for vouchers for various shops such as Boots and Sainsburys and Amazon. You can choose which voucher you get. The money actually adds up fairly quickly. I'm also a member of Dooyoo which is a review site where you write reviews of products and get points which you exchange for vouchers, cash (once you've got an equivalent of £50), or you can donate to charity. I just though I'd mention those sites because that little bit of extra money does come in useful if you're struggling. I know it's no good as a proper job, but something to help as you search for jobs. Hopefully we'll all get jobs soon.
Reply 42
Try taking your CV to 99p stores near you or Poundland if you haven't yet.
Reply 43
do not apply online it gets you nowhere, physically give out your CV to places, and have some generic restaurant ones, fashion shop ones, and normal ones to give out.
Maybe try with the local corner shop first ? Because it seems to me that you might making a big jump just from voluntary work experience alone of three years.

I've never heard of Wetherspoons being so unprofessional that they just hired someone they knew, isn't that supposed to be unlawful in the first place ?

I mean if word got out that somebody got a job in Wetherspoons simply because of a friend working there or sth that would be it for the Daily Mail gossip column.

Networking and building contacts is an entirely different thing because its what you do to get ahead in the business. The companies you just mentioned are quite big, so maybe try with smaller companies first.

Doesn't have to be a stupidly small and boring company, just like a nice little small place with an interesting job profile that suits your expectations and needs, for the moment, to get a good headstart in a salary-paying role!

:auto:
Reply 45
Original post by ladynova
do not apply online it gets you nowhere, physically give out your CV to places, and have some generic restaurant ones, fashion shop ones, and normal ones to give out.

Not true. If the company does their applications online and/or has a generic application form then often they won't accept physical CVs. When I was working at SportsDirect there were a few times people brought in an envelope, handed it in to me and asked me to give it to the manager. If they said CV I always told them applications were done online and gave them the web address but sometimes they didn't and when the manager opened it later that day it'd just go straight in the bin.

The way to do it is to first check on their website if they have one to see if it says there how to apply (it often does with larger companies). If it says to apply online/bring your CV in/request an application form then do that. If it doesn't say or they don't have a website then ring/visit them to ask if they have any vacancies & how to apply or if you can bring in a CV to keep on file for any future vacancies.
Reply 46
Original post by ladynova

Actually, it does get you somewhere because having 0 Retail experience I have managed to get an interview at pet shop.
There has been lots of whining on here, so I'll say it again.

Nobody owes you employment.

If you're struggling, employ yourself.

Start a business.
Reply 48
Original post by StacFace
Not true. If the company does their applications online and/or has a generic application form then often they won't accept physical CVs. When I was working at SportsDirect there were a few times people brought in an envelope, handed it in to me and asked me to give it to the manager. If they said CV I always told them applications were done online and gave them the web address but sometimes they didn't and when the manager opened it later that day it'd just go straight in the bin.

The way to do it is to first check on their website if they have one to see if it says there how to apply (it often does with larger companies). If it says to apply online/bring your CV in/request an application form then do that. If it doesn't say or they don't have a website then ring/visit them to ask if they have any vacancies & how to apply or if you can bring in a CV to keep on file for any future vacancies.

Original post by ForgetMe
Actually, it does get you somewhere because having 0 Retail experience I have managed to get an interview at pet shop.

well I just spoke from pesonal experience :smile:
Reply 49
Try everywhere again when they start hiring Christmas temps? That's how I got my first job and that as well as voluntary work really helped me to get a job (and interviews) after. Good luck to everyone in this thread - I'm currently looking for a new job for when I go to uni :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
A lot of places have started looking for xmas temps, I've applied for at least 6 high street shops.

Now is the time to start looking!
Original post by KRose_
A good example of this is I went for a job interview in Wilkinson's last week and literally 1 minute into the interview after the manager asked me the question, "Tell me a bit about yourself" and I replied that I just got accepted into uni he held up his hand and apolgized saying he'll have to stop the interview right there because they don't take on uni students as they aren't as flexible.... sucks

That's why I told them I *Might* be going to uni and got the job. Currently in the process of requesting to work during semester breaks, I get the reply next week. If all fails, I have the other job as a back up. But yeah, Wilkinson are like that and as a result have quite a high turnover rate in my store.
Reply 52
this is a bit late, but it really frustrates me when people get jobs just by asking their friend/relative to get them the job. At a tesco near me, there are about 20 staff that all knew each other beforehand and one girl I know got her job because her step-dad was a supervisor or something. Then she got about 8 of her friends a job there too. so annoying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending