The Student Room Group

Why is okay to dislike men..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons
I don't think that at all, honestly. You're the one with the victim complex :rolleyes: as are so many anti-feminists on TSR.

Women are often the perpetrator. They get too much credit in custody battles when the father would be just as good at raising the child, they get much lesser prison terms for equal crimes, which is disgusting, they can't be convicted of raping a man (or a woman for that matter). Women are not perfect beings, I have never said they are.

Maybe you shouldn't jump to conclusions about my views on men and women. It tends not to work.

Maybe he shouldn't, let's have a three way conversation elsewhere? I thoughht I was touching on something grand in my OP. :s-smilie:
Reply 41
I don't think that at all, honestly. You're the one with the victim complex :rolleyes: as are so many anti-feminists on TSR.

Women are often the perpetrator. They get too much credit in custody battles when the father would be just as good at raising the child, they get much lesser prison terms for equal crimes, which is disgusting, they can't be convicted of raping a man (or a woman for that matter). Women are not perfect beings, I have never said they are.

Maybe you shouldn't jump to conclusions about my views on men and women. It tends not to work.

It's hard not to jump to conclusions when you lead by saying that it's "not comparable". You have just listed several reasons as to why it is very comparable indeed so you can't blame me for assuming that you're completely unable to sympathise from a male viewpoint, yet you're able to sympathise with a woman near the top of a corporate ladder who was beat to a promotion by a male counterpart...
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by bottled
dude, in the past everyone who wasn't born rich were treated as lesser citizens. Ethnic minorities were treated bad, women didn't have it that bad n the past. I mean the way you're speaking suggests that in 1st world countries men do not face any significant/institutional sexism

ok...but some ethnic minorities are women too you know. In addition, women in the uk couldnt vote, own property, work high level jobs, whereas men could. there were poor women as well as poor men...

what i am trying to say here, is that virtually everybody who was in a position of power until about 50-60 years ago was a man. obviously there are exceptions such as queen and empresses and the like, but even in these situations sexism existed - men born into royalty were automatically heir to the throne over female relatives for no reason but the assumption that men were superior.

edit: and by 'positions of power', i mean property owners, voters, landowners, and high end jobs such as bankers and politicians, not just prime ministers or kings
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by StringerBell9
Maybe he shouldn't, let's have a three way conversation elsewhere? I thoughht I was touching on something grand in my OP. :s-smilie:

Not really, it's been done before. Short answer? It's not okay to dislike anyone because of their gender. Ever. Full stop. No matter if they are sporting a penis or a vagina, breasts or pecs, it's not okay. TSR is a bad example of society, don't believe that the views expressed here (such as the man-hating you say you've seen) are actually echoed in society.

Although they are, to some extent. Such as all the adverts where men are portrayed as total idiots.

Original post by Mockery
It's hard not to jump to conclusions when you lead by saying that it's "not comparable". You have just listed several reasons as to why it is very comparable indeed so you can't blame me for assuming that you're completely unable to sympathise from a male viewpoint, yet you're able to sympathise with a woman near the top of a corporate ladder who was beat to a promotion by a male counterpart...

Of course I'm not unable to sympathise with male rights issues, I'm not an idiot. I can sympathise with both sides, however find that women face more sexism in today's society than men. I never said that men face none at all - that would be ridiculous, when they clearly do.

I'm done with this debate by the way, I'm just too tired of arguing about feminism, I've done it a lot recently :tongue: No hard feelings either of you.
Original post by Mockery

That's the kinda thing I was getting at. Hate is a strong word.
Reply 45
Original post by lolipanda
ok...but some ethnic minorities are women too you know. In addition, women in the uk couldnt vote, own property, work high level jobs, whereas men could. there were poor women as well as poor men...

what i am trying to say here, is that virtually everybody who was in a position of power until about 50-60 years ago was a man. obviously there are exceptions such as queen and empresses and the like, but even in these situations sexism existed - men born into royalty were automatically heir to the throne over female relatives for no reason but the assumption that men were superior.

edit: and by 'positions of power', i mean property owners, voters, landowners, and high end jobs such as bankers and politicians, not just prime ministers or kings

Again, don't get me wrong, everyone had it bad in the past. but come now, i didn't specify a gender when i said ethnic minorities, men couldn't vote too and had to fight for their vote as the only people who could vote were upper class men. and even then when pankhurst started the campaign for the suffrage it was for upperclass women only.

And it doesn't really matter the gender of who's in power, it's not like that because the people were in power and were men meant that all the laws they passed were in favor of men, but rather it was made in their own interests.
Reply 46
Any stats to back that up? More women are killed by their partners,

Source?

more are victims or sexual abuse and domestic violence,

And more men are physically assaulted and murdered.

women are still paid less

No they're not. They earn less. There's a difference. And it's likely because they choose different careers than men on average which pay less, take more time off work, are not willing to relocate to distant places for higher salary etc.

Unless you can prove that a man and woman working in the same job for the same company for the same hours with equal experience and skill (and negotiated for the same salary) get paid differently?

less likely to be promoted

Can you prove it's down to sexism?
less likely to be politicians

So? And can you prove that it's down to sexism?

Isn't it more important that the right person gets the job regardless of their sex?

Also women are less likely to be binmen. Is that sexism?
aren't as likely to join professions

Can you elaborate and give a source for this?

have more standards imposed on them by society...

Can you prove this claim? And a lot of standards are also imposed on men.

Also, were you talking about Western countries in your post or were you talking about the whole world?

Men basically are more likely to be physically assaulted, and get an unfair deal in custody battles.

It's simply not comparable.

What a ****. You're so ignorant of men's problems.

-More men are homeless than women.
-Men often get harsher sentences than women for the same crimes.
-Men are often falsely accused of rape
-Women don't have to bear the shameful label of "rapist", thanks to the law.
-Men have no male abortion rights
-There is conscription for men in many countries across the world
(edited 10 years ago)

TSR is a bad example of society,- It is, yes. But It's all good fun.

Of course I'm not unable to sympathise with male rights issues, Evidently so, it doesn't mean you're on a neutral footing, but thanks all the same.

No hard feelings either of you.

None taken. (Y)

All the best

:smile:
Original post by Cable
Source?

And more men are physically assaulted and murdered.

No they're not. They earn less. There's a difference. And it's likely because they choose different careers than men on average which pay less, take more time off work, are not willing to relocate to distant places for higher salary etc.

Unless you can prove that a man and woman working in the same job for the same company for the same hours with equal experience and skill (and negotiated for the same salary) get paid differently?

Can you prove it's down to sexism?

So? And can you prove that it's down to sexism?

Isn't it more important that the right person gets the job regardless of their sex?

Also women are less likely to be binmen. Is that sexism?

Can you elaborate and give a source for this?

Can you prove this claim? And a lot of standards are also imposed on men.

Also, were you talking about Western countries in this post or were you talking about the whole world?

What a ****. You're so ignorant of men's problems.

-More men are homeless than women.
-Men often get harsher sentences than for the same crimes.
-Men are often falsely accused of rape
-Men have no male abortion rights
-There is conscription for men in many countries across the world

I've already answered quite a bit of that. I assure you, anything I have said - such as the domestic violence, killed by partners, paid less - stats are out there, I'm just too lazy and tired to get them. I was referring only to the UK by the way.

I've already discussed many men's problems in a further post. You're welcome to go and find it and re-educate yourself on the amount I know about men's problems. I'm not ignorant at all, I couldn't be with the amount I debate this.

And men are NOT often falsely accused of rape - I'm sorry, that's just a lie. http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/mar/13/rape-investigations-belief-false-accusations

Now, as I've already said, I'm off to my xbox. Nighty night, I probably won't ever reply. The sources are out there, as are my other posts in this thread. Have fun.
Original post by StringerBell9
I totally agree. In terms of fighting for equality, I am 100% alongside feminism, however, equality cannot ever be reached if it's a bitter turf war.

Why is feminism not called 'Equalism'?

Because 'equalism' can be applied to any type of equal rights movement - it doesn't identify it as being a equal rights movement based on gender.
Who said that? Of course, it is not okay to dislike men in general and neither is it okay to dislike women in general.
Reply 51
It isn't personal choice that women don't join politics - it's conditioning.

Can you prove it?
Just like it isn't personal choice that women aren't given promotions.

But can you prove that it's always down to sexism?
Not enough is done to encourage women into politics, science and engineering, just like not enough is done to encourage men into teaching, nursing etc.

Why do they have to be encouraged?

Why can't they choose what they want to do?

And once again I ask: Isn't it more important that the right person gets the job regardless of their sex?
Reply 52
however find that women face more sexism in today's society than men.

But the problem is that this view is clearly based on lies or myths.

So surely your claim that women face more sexism should be rejected?
Reply 53
I've already answered quite a bit of that. I assure you, anything I have said - such as the domestic violence, killed by partners, paid less - stats are out there, I'm just too lazy and tired to get them. I was referring only to the UK by the way.

I've already discussed many men's problems in a further post. You're welcome to go and find it and re-educate yourself on the amount I know about men's problems. I'm not ignorant at all, I couldn't be with the amount I debate this.

Basically, your claims have been debunked and you're trying to run away and save what little grace you have left.

Stop chatting BS on topics you're ignorant about. No-one can prove that women face more sexism than men or men face more sexism than women.

And men are NOT often falsely accused of rape - I'm sorry, that's just a lie. http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/mar/13/rape-investigations-belief-false-accusations

Maybe "often" was the wrong word to use. But it does happen many times.

Now, as I've already said, I'm off to my xbox. Nighty night, I probably won't ever reply. The sources are out there, as are my other posts in this thread. Have fun.

Any time I have asked for these sources from other feminists, they cannot provide it.

It's quite simple. You don't have any evidence to back up your claims that women are paid less than men for doing the same job in the same company for the same hours with equal experience and skill after negotiating for the same salary.

You're chatting BS and I've exposed you for what you are.

Good night, sugar.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending