The Student Room Group

What were you like in high school?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by diggy
Everybody look at the transformation from slang to the Queen's finest English

10/10 effort though my friend says "I'm not about this life" all the time. Such a funny phrase

I was normal I think, I was a class comedian and fairly popular. Like the PrettyLittleLiars, people tried to bully me it I didnt have it then they found a mutual respect for me.

I'm now a grade A Geek though, my social life had a bad effect on my GCSES. Now I've turned it around though so I'm a happy guy :smile:

U wut m8?! I heard that phrase from my friend too and I actually say it in everyday conversations now. I get some strange looks at times :colondollar:
Reply 61
I was very quiet in school (unlike now lol) and just put my head down and got on with things, think its because more people disliked me than liked me, and I was **** at most football which immediately made me an outkast from the rest of the lads.

That being said I had my odd glory days, like were I was bowling in cricket and got the cockeyest dickhead right in the balls with a real cricket ball (proud moment)

or rugby where I just used my size to rough everyone else about lol

and basketball which I was actually quite good at

just little moments were I got one up on the guys whod be dicks to people like me lol
Well my secondary school only had 30 people in my year (at most during my 5 years there - minimum of 15 people in the year at one point). So it was tiny.

I felt that no one was similar to me. Everyone had different personalities and since it was such a small year, there was no one in my year at all I had anything in common with. I loved sport but the other few people who loved sport were basically chavs and i wasn't like this at all. It was almost split up into the 'chavs and nerds' and I wasn't in either category. So seeing as I chose I didn't want any friends here, I guess I didn't really have anyone to talk to and so it seemed like I was shy (when actually this wasn't the case at all).

It was a horrible 5 years and at the end of it, I felt like I could actually show my true-self when I joined College and had somewhere between 2000 and 3000 people there.
I was an absolute bell end for the majority of school, I used regularly go off site, eat in lessons, pull fire bells of wall, break stuff, be disruptive, I even verbally abused a teacher which resulted in me receiving a pre exclusion warning :frown:
I cleared up my act when I passed my GCSE's and got into sixth form, and then I started working, and currently I have a place to do biomedical science at Aston university :biggrin: People can change and I'm pretty glad I did :colondollar:
I was an inbetweener. I had so much confidence (mightve been a little bit arrogant) so i cant understand what made me deteriorate into this awkward socially anxious nutter!
Reply 65
Was bubbly with majority of people in my first few years. Then had a big fall out with a bunch of guys who basically made the rest of my school years hell and ended up hating everyone in my year. Cried with happiness at prom because I wasn't going to see any of them again.
Haven't kept in touch with anyone ever since. Good riddance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 66
Had a really good group of friends but started acting up in year 10. Acted like a bit of a dick tbh. Started smoking weed & hanging around with kids who weren't really my friends. Should've just stuck with my real friends! Life lessons eh?
Reply 67
My school was very sports focused, lots of clubs/teams and training/matches between other schools was overly serious. Mainly because the sports reputation (particularly the rugby team - which is perhaps my least favourite sport) of the school was its only merit.
As a result, if you were bad at sports, like me, you were automatically deemed a loser by your peers/the popular people who played on these teams. Add to that the fact I did better than average in my studies and wore my tie properly, I got classed as a nerd/swot.
In years 7-8 I was a chav. I used to bowl around in my Nike hat, chewing gum, blasting my ears with Eminem, Dr Dre and the like on my CD walkman (this was right at the start of the millenium). I'd always act like a badman, breaking stuff and setting off fire alarms, and getting sent home once a week for fighting.

Once I got halfway into year 8 I got into skateboarding. I started to change as a person and mellowed out, changed my appearance etc. I'd get verbally abused by the chavs for it, but I just used to give them mouth back and it'd never go further than that. I had a small group of friends in my form group that I'd still always hang out with during break times and sometimes outside of school at this point, but not that often as I already had a massive group of friends in my area at home.

In year 9 quite a few other people started getting into skating as well, and eventually I started hanging out with them at break times instead. Looking back, I'm quite surprised my little group in my form didn't get pissed off at me for ditching them, but I was always friends with them right up until we all left. During this year all of the chavs had gotten used to the fact that I was a skater and I got quite chummy with a lot of them, probably because all of the major pricks had been chucked out.

By year 10 my friendship group outside of school slowly stopped hanging out together for some reason. I started hanging out with the skaters from school every day as a lot of them lived close, especially since the group of skaters was expanding and continued to do so until the end of school.
This was the year that our yeargroup really started to gel together, and one massive friend group of about 20- 30 people formed which consisted of all the popular people, including chavs, skaters and others. I was never the type you'd look at and label as popular, but I was pretty popular at this point. I suppose it's because I was pretty friendly, a bit of a clown and I used to take my skateboard in on tag days and impress everyone (I'd gotten seriously good by this point).
Year 11 was pretty much the same as year 10.

So yeah, there's my senior school years. Like I said, I was far from a stereotypically popular guy, but I'd always have friends in any of my classes which ranged from nerds to chavs, and while I now look back and say I was a bellend, they were still good years. It wasn't long after school that everyone stopped skating and we all went on to do our own thing. Once I got to college I went through an image change, grew about a foot taller and all of a sudden I was getting a lot of female attention which was new to me. I did a lot of growing up, was always pretty popular throughout college and got laid during my first year. I still sometimes see people from school and college and stop for a chat, and a few of them I meet up with for drinks every now and then. It's quite funny too that there were quite a few girls that never spoke to me in school, but we became friends on facebook and all of a sudden they were talking to me every day, and I ended up having a couple of flings and a couple of near-flings that never worked out.
(edited 10 years ago)
At my school we had very strictly defined friendship groups; I was below those deemed socially acceptable and above the kids who weren't allowed to use 'big people' scissors any more.
Reply 70
I was in the middle in terms of popularity, I had a fairly secure medium sized group of friends the whole way through school, but I think I was well-liked by the rest of the year (maybe this was an illusion?!). I went to an all girls school where a new drama happened every day but usually I stayed out of that and focused on my work instead.
When I hit puberty I think I developed a kind of superiority complex though, thinking I was better than all the 'shallow' girls in my year as I thought academia was way more important than frivolous things like makeup and boys. Was this just jealousy? Probably, and I've long grown out of it now, thank god!
Don't really have any strong memories of Year 7-9, but Years 10 and 11 were really fun, looking back on them - we went on some great school trips, my close friends were wonderful and they were just really enjoyable years, especially compared to the horror that was sixth form!
I was really quiet throughout secondary school. Naturally I'm a loud, talkative person but people in my form were always talking about things I wasn't there for or didn't know about e.g. what happened in Junior School when I only joined in year 7, or the Asian girls were always talking about Bollywood films or Indian Food e.c.t and I'm not Asian and the girls who went to houseparties or clubbing from yr9+ (who were already in a clique when I joined as they were almost all in Junior school together) talked about what happened at that weekends party or where they were going to next weekend. This left me unable to join in conversations beyond a point and I was never sure what to change it to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending