The Student Room Group

English at uni-is it worth it?

Hi all, I'm going to be applying for uni soon hopefully and I'm really doubting my choice of studying English. As we're all aware, the graduate market is looking pretty **** and I'm seriously ******** myself about how I'm going to get a well/decent paying job after I graduate that will leave me feeling content. Obviously, life won't be perfect but I just don't want to look back in 10 years and say "why the hell did I study such a useless degree???" I just don't want to end up like someone I know who did their degree 10 years ago and currently hates their job and can't find another one. English opens up many options (maybe too many?) but that doesn't necessarily mean these options are good. I just feel that studying English is for me because I really enjoy it and I'm good at it and it's also a very traditional subject (it's not a dosser's subject...right?) ....any thoughts anyone? Sorry for the big rant...:colondollar: I'd love to hear what you have to say!
Reply 1
Original post by MilaConfused
Hi all, I'm going to be applying for uni soon hopefully and I'm really doubting my choice of studying English. As we're all aware, the graduate market is looking pretty **** and I'm seriously ******** myself about how I'm going to get a well/decent paying job after I graduate that will leave me feeling content. Obviously, life won't be perfect but I just don't want to look back in 10 years and say "why the hell did I study such a useless degree???" I just don't want to end up like someone I know who did their degree 10 years ago and currently hates their job and can't find another one. English opens up many options (maybe too many?) but that doesn't necessarily mean these options are good. I just feel that studying English is for me because I really enjoy it and I'm good at it and it's also a very traditional subject (it's not a dosser's subject...right?) ....any thoughts anyone? Sorry for the big rant...:colondollar: I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Get work experience throughout your degree in something you think you might want to do. Do internships, get placements. Do as much as possible. This will give you a huge advantage in the world of work when you graduate.
60% of graduate careers require a degree in no specific subject. English is a highly respected academic subject. I'm guessing you're not intending to do anything like medicine, engineering or pharmacy if you're considering English, so those kind of vocational subjects were never an option. Therefore, do the thing you love and do well in it. You will be proving you are literate and intelligent, which opens many doors.
Reply 3
Every job is becoming heavily saturated and the one thing which will rule you out for many jobs will be a below-par degree grade.

If you enjoy english, then take it as if your more likely to work hard for that top grade rather than if you were doing something like Law where you may find the topics dry therefore lack motivation to study.
Reply 4
Original post by Shelly_x
Get work experience throughout your degree in something you think you might want to do. Do internships, get placements. Do as much as possible. This will give you a huge advantage in the world of work when you graduate.

Yeah, I intend to do that definitely :biggrin: thing is, I've heard from people who are currently at uni/graduates about this and they keep telling me about how even to do voluntary work you have to go through so much crap and it's difficult AND YOU'RE NOT EVEN GETTING PAID! You have to HAVE experience to GET experience....it's ridiculous...:confused:
Reply 5
Yeah, I intend to do that definitely :biggrin: thing is, I've heard from people who are currently at uni/graduates about this and they keep telling me about how even to do voluntary work you have to go through so much crap and it's difficult AND YOU'RE NOT EVEN GETTING PAID! You have to HAVE experience to GET experience....it's ridiculous...:confused:

Yep, that's the world we live in at the moment unfortunately.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending