The Student Room Group

International Development Degree?

Hi

I've been weighing up my options for a uni course for quite a while now and my heart in not yet set on a course.

I have been looking at International Development because I have an interest in Economics but I do not want to end up in an office job. I enjoy the macro over micro.

I was wondering if International Development is a respected degree? But also whether me not doing A level Geography would be a disadvantage!

Finally what career prospects are there outside of working with aid. I would rather take a development policy route to an aid worker role.

Please gimme some responses! :wink:
Reply 1
Anybody?
Reply 2
Hup
International Development is a respected degree subject. It doesnt just point you towards 'Aid'. Anywhere you'll find social science graduates you'll find some with Int Dev degrees - journalism, social policy, teaching, publishing, UK charities, local government, central government etc etc.

The courses at Leeds, UEA and Sussex don't appear to specify Geography A level, but clearly having some sort of Humanities or Social Science subject is going to show your interest and commitment in this subject.
You are looking at lots or degrees :smile:

International development is a respected field of study and very stimulating one.

Sussex IDS is well respected, you should really give it a look

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by polscistudent88
You are looking at lots or degrees :smile:

International development is a respected field of study and very stimulating one.

Sussex IDS is well respected, you should really give it a look

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha yeah I weighed up my options but have applied for Political Economy courses now!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending