The Student Room Group

What are your mental illnesses? Share experiences.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Sabertooth
I have a diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder, which is basically psychosis plus a mood disorder (depression for me). What would you like to know exactly? I took seroquel myself until a few weeks ago - was very sedating and made me put on weight but did help a fair amount to start with at least. Good luck with it. :smile:

I took my first quetiapine last night, and i know it's really early days but I've woke up this morning with worse anxiety than ever recently and feeling really really low, and that's only off one 25mg?! Could that be a coincidence or is this something that normally happens and will ease as time goes on? It feels absolutely disgusting!
I've never been diagnosed, nor sought help but I I suffered (still do intermittently) from depression throughout my late teens. I self harmed quite frequently for a number of years and still have lots of scars. No one knows besides my mum and my now boyfriend what the scars are from, to other people I say they're stretch marks (due to their location).

I also think I have a mild anxiety/social avoidance disorder or a personality disorder. Again, this is not something I will seek help for but rather something I've noticed from my behaviour.
Reply 22
Original post by Anonymous
I've never been diagnosed, nor sought help but I I suffered (still do intermittently) from depression throughout my late teens. I self harmed quite frequently for a number of years and still have lots of scars. No one knows besides my mum and my now boyfriend what the scars are from, to other people I say they're stretch marks (due to their location).

I also think I have a mild anxiety/social avoidance disorder or a personality disorder. Again, this is not something I will seek help for but rather something I've noticed from my behaviour.

just out of curiosity, I don't want to seem rude for asking (feel free not to reply :smile:) for what reason haven't you been diagnosed? Is it just not wanting to or are there other reasons?

Just because I for years avoided diagnosis mainly through fear of telling people but in the end i wasn't strong enough to deal with it by myself. What did you do to cope?
Reply 23
Hm personally, I was diagnosed with ADHD, and Autism, I lacked the ability to do anything in primary school, when I started secondary school, word got around that I was a '*******' as they liked to call it, although I don't believe my disorders are a reason for failing my core subjects in school, however I can with confidence say that the contributing factor was bullying. I managed to get an astonishing grade in Science which would allow me to progress onto College and study a BTEC.

Since then I have managed to pass most of my core subjects since starting College, however mathematics still remains quite sadly.

I'm currently on medication for both of the disabilities
Reply 24
Original post by Anonymous

Anxiety and depression are often linked with one another. I'm sorry to hear about your problems. If it comes back then you should make a judgment as to whether it is sufficiently serious for you to seek diagnosis.

Sharing thoughts with a therapist - or someone close to you - can relieve the burden somewhat and can help you cope.
Original post by jemmajustice
I took my first quetiapine last night, and i know it's really early days but I've woke up this morning with worse anxiety than ever recently and feeling really really low, and that's only off one 25mg?! Could that be a coincidence or is this something that normally happens and will ease as time goes on? It feels absolutely disgusting!

Tbh I would say it sounds more like a coincidence or placebo effect. 25mg is an extremely low dose of quetiapine (I was on 800mg) and terrible anxiety isn't really one of the side effects of higher doses not to mention such a low one. I'd say try and relax - you're probably very worried about the medication - do something to distract yourself from the thoughts and try to get on with stuff as much as you usually do. However, if the problem persists then talk to your doctor - there are so many millions of possible side effects that it probably is possible even if it's unlikely and you shouldn't suffer in silence. A doctor could prescribe a short course of benzos such as diazepam or even a different antipsychotic as there are a fair few you can try. Good luck!
Reply 26
Original post by Sabertooth
Tbh I would say it sounds more like a coincidence or placebo effect. 25mg is an extremely low dose of quetiapine (I was on 800mg) and terrible anxiety isn't really one of the side effects of higher doses not to mention such a low one. I'd say try and relax - you're probably very worried about the medication - do something to distract yourself from the thoughts and try to get on with stuff as much as you usually do. However, if the problem persists then talk to your doctor - there are so many millions of possible side effects that it probably is possible even if it's unlikely and you shouldn't suffer in silence. A doctor could prescribe a short course of benzos such as diazepam or even a different antipsychotic as there are a fair few you can try. Good luck!

Totally agree with Sabertooth...I am on Quetiapine at various doses through out the day. If anything 25mg is a very low dose and is more sedating than higher amounts, which is why some GP's prescribe it for Insomnia..I think thats madnesss but hey. Just try to relax, have a hot bath, snuggly pj's, low light, hot drink, quetiapine and your duvet and you should get off to sleep fine.
Lifelong anxiety, panic attacks and emetophobia, plus dysthymia and clinical depression. I'm not sure if any of those have actually been officially diagnosed. I sort of skipped the diagnosis part for most of it and went straight to treatment because it was almost too obvious to need a diagnosis.

I'm currently on Citalopram and going through various referrals to start up NHS therapy after a short break and seeing someone privately for a while.

Also I believe I may have an autistic spectrum disorder, but no diagnosis for that either.

schizophrenia is simply schizophrenia, but schizoaffective is schizophrenia with symptoms of other mood disorders, like bipolar or depression I think? Correct me if i'm wrong someone!

How come schizoaffective disorder would be diagnosed, rather than simply diagnosing schizophrenia and also diagnosing the mood disorder separately?
Another schizoaffective here (depressive type) :wavey:
Reply 29
Okay so I've always had a few mental health problems since the age of around 12, the worst being an ED, depression and an anxiety disorder, however in recent months i've developed 'Psychosis' (not actually been told properly 'You have Schizophrenia' or 'You have Bipolar' and such, but I'm being seen by an intervention team who are starting me off on Seroquel)

I just thought it'd be good for me and other people to hear all your experiences with mental health issues, maybe share experiences and feel like you're not alone!

I for one don't know anyone else with psychosis and I think it'd really benefit me and others to find people who have similar problems, how you've dealt with them etc etc :-)

Hi, when I was 12, I had GAD (generalised anxiety disorder) which triggered a period of psychosis. I experienced delusions, hallucinations, nightmares and I heard things. Is this what you are struggling with? It feels like you are out of your mind, doesn't it? And that you are absolutely insane; I was scared. Currently, I am in Year 11 with exams due to start in a few weeks. I have clinical depression, OCD and mild anxiety issues related to the OCD. I am on Fluoxetine and Lamotrogine and I have a lot of support from my school and a psychiatrist and a psychologist. Back in January I overdosed and was in hospital for a day or so. And recently about 3 weeks ago, I've been back in hospital with Kidney/Renal failure so as you can imagine, things are all over the place right now, so I sympathise with you. The reasons for my mental illnesses are because of bullying from a young age and genetics. Shortly after I was diagnosed with Clinical Depression, I was also sexually assaulted so that probably didn't help things. But now I have an amazing boyfriend, an amazing best friend and an amazing family and plenty of support so I know I'm safe. I hope you have ways of making yourself feel safe.
If you ever want to talk about anything, PM me :smile:
I'd like to help and discuss :smile:
Original post by Tiger Rag
What's the difference between schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder, please?

Basically, schizoaffective disorder = schizophrenia + mood disorder

I've suffered from depression, social anxiety and BPD and was on fluoxetine until about this time last year. I say "suffered" but still have bad days/moments sometimes, not sure being on the pill and having that mess with my hormones is helping but I'm doing really well for the most part.
(edited 7 years ago)
I did have anorexia nervosa but my diagnosis is now atypical anorexia (EDNOS), I also have depression, anxiety (GAD) and possibly BPD/EUPD - people talk about it as if I've been diagnosed but I haven't been told properly!

Quick Reply

Latest