The Student Room Group

Why do girls say they don't care about looks?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thoyub
That can be easily disproved but only because the statement itself just doesn't make sense. Pretty easy to disprove.

Well, technically, you only need to find one 'decent girl' in a club. But what about the other claims?
Original post by hcu95
I'm a girl, and I'm the first to admit that I care about looks, It's just not the be all and end all. I'd go for a hot guy with a great personality, but not a hot guy that's a dick, or an ugly guy who's nice.

Exactly, people say "looks or personality" like they're mutually exclusive. Someone with a good personality who you don't find physically attractive should be a friend, not a partner.

I do think a lot of women pretend they don't care about looks when they do, or at least exaggerate how little they matter. One obvious reason is they get positive feedback from saying this, people say "good for you". Another reason is media, tv and film are packed with stunning women dating unattractive men, from Family Guy to several Woody Allen films, and very little of the opposite. Society doesn't expect men to choose personality over looks, but it does expect women to.

Having said that, I do think looks are less important to women than men, but they're still very important.
Original post by Mankytoes
Exactly, people say "looks or personality" like they're mutually exclusive. Someone with a good personality who you don't find physically attractive should be a friend, not a partner.

I do think a lot of women pretend they don't care about looks when they do, or at least exaggerate how little they matter. One obvious reason is they get positive feedback from saying this, people say "good for you". Another reason is media, tv and film are packed with stunning women dating unattractive men, from Family Guy to several Woody Allen films, and very little of the opposite. Society doesn't expect men to choose personality over looks, but it does expect women to.

Having said that, I do think looks are less important to women than men, but they're still very important.

A very good point, I wonder if it has anything to do with an idealistic view for male viewers. - That a guy of an average aesthetic calibrate can get the perfect ten? Seems like that's something male viewers would buy into more than women, to me, anyway.
Reply 43
Original post by incipientT
Well, technically, you only need to find one 'decent girl' in a club. But what about the other claims?

Quiet/shy girls exist. - I have been to loads of places and can say they definitely don't. At least not for long anyway.

Not all girls are the same - That may be true but it's quite strange how all girls seem to do the same things and act in exactly the same way. I have noticed that more and more of them are trying to look the same now, too. (bleach blonde hair, fake tan etc)

Not all women care about looks - I honestly can't find any truth in this as all of the girls I know personally and every girl in my town ONLY seems to care about looks. I was once talking with a group of friends and there was a girl with us who had recently got her first boyfriend. We asked her to tell us about him and all she could say was "He's cute". When asked about what she loved about him she again said "He's cute".
We had no words...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 44
yeh probably
Original post by thoyub
Quiet/shy girls exist. - I have been to loads of places and can say they definitely don't. At least not for long anyway.

Not all girls are the same - That may be true but it's quite strange how all girls seem to do the same things and act in exactly the same way. I have noticed that more and more of them are trying to look the same now, too. (bleach blonde hair, fake tan etc)

Not all women care about looks - I honestly can't find any truth in this as all of the girls I know personally and every girl in my town ONLY seems to care about looks. I was once talking with a group of friends and there was a girl with us who had recently got her first boyfriend. We asked her to tell us about him and all she could say was "He's cute". When asked about what she loved about him she again said "He's cute".
We had no words...

That's all anecdotal, all it shows is that you, personally, haven't met any.
Reply 46
Bit of a generalisation...

Also, you did this 'experiment' in a club?

:rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BlondHair
It's complete nonsense.

My friend and I decided to do an experiment . On a dating site I was rated a 10 and he was rated a 4 . So....We went to a club which we'd never been before.

I acted arrogant and cocky around the girls , saying they're not good enough and even sometimes that they're fat. I tried to do everything girls hated. I talked about how I just wanted sex and was out of the league of all the girls there. I told them to buy me drinks and was really sexist. I'm pretty sure that girls do not like this sort of personality.

On the other hand , my "ugly" friend , complimented the girls , was really
confident , cracked jokes and defended the women when I was being sexist. I'm pretty sure girls like this sort of personality.

End Result : I go home with 2 of the best looking girls at the club and
he was rejected four times...

Admit it girls and come off your high horses , you're just as shallow as
men

Ok, pretending that this was real

When women say that looks do not matter they are thinking about a man they want to have a relationship with - not someone they want to have a ONS with - 2 girls who are ready to have a threesome with a stranger will have been looking for an arrogant arse that they could use and dump

As for your friend - just because you though the was acting in a manner that was desirable does not mean that he actually was
Reply 48
Original post by incipientT
That's all anecdotal, all it shows is that you, personally, haven't met any.
I have met loads...
Original post by thoyub
I have met loads...

Well then how can you say they don't exist?:confused:
Reply 50
Original post by shadowdweller
Not for some people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sure, I get that, but I more meant that girls who claim that, tend to mean something else. Of course there are some people who don't care for looks and would happily date a fat, ugly guy, but they are few and far between.
Yes, but this was in a CLUB. Do you really expect to find loads of classy girls there?
most good looking people have good personalities

while the ugly guys get treated like crp and develop neurotic tendancies
Original post by Treeroy
Sure, I get that, but I more meant that girls who claim that, tend to mean something else. Of course there are some people who don't care for looks and would happily date a fat, ugly guy, but they are few and far between.

Oh, fair enough then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
"Nice, non-superficial girls don't exist! I've never met any!!!! All girls are shallow!!!!"

Now, if you run this through the Misogynistic Nice Guy Translator™, you'll come out with:

"I'm an enormous hypocrite who only goes after women who look and act a certain way, and I'm shocked when they turn out to be vain and only caring about physical appearances (just like I do) and reject me for it! This is not fair! I shall blame all women and make unfair generalisations to project my hypocrisy and resentment onto them!"

Birds of a feather flock together, you know... if that's "all you've met", perhaps you should take a deeper look at yourself.

I find it hilarious we're supposed to be the shallow sex when not long ago there was a thread about Kim Kardashian wherein 95% of the men who responded said they hated her but would have sex with her.
Reply 55
Original post by GeekChicc
Yes, but this was in a CLUB. Do you really expect to find loads of classy girls there?

Every single guy who complains about this problem seems to expect to be able to go to his local trashy nightclub and find a classy, well-read Keira Knightley just waiting there for him.
Your experiment wasn't exactly the most statistically reliable...

Besides, yes, looks are important but personality matters much more. I've seen gorgeous guys I've hated because of their personality, and less attractive guys that I've grown to be attracted to because of their personality.
Original post by IlexBlue
Every single guy who complains about this problem seems to expect to be able to go to his local trashy nightclub and find a classy, well-read Keira Knightley just waiting there for him.

And then complain about how all girls are the same and how there are no good girls left.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by IlexBlue

Original post by pink pineapple
And then compalin abotu how all girls are the same and how there are no good girls left.

Apologies if men think it's unfair that they are expected to be humourous, athletic, play an instrument, be intellgent, etc in the common social spheres when girls are just expected to be good looking.

If anything, thank us for not undermining your worth by oggling your idiotic female peers.
Original post by BlondHair
It's complete nonsense.

My friend and I decided to do an experiment . On a dating site I was rated a 10 and he was rated a 4 . So....We went to a club which we'd never been before.

I acted arrogant and cocky around the girls , saying they're not good enough and even sometimes that they're fat. I tried to do everything girls hated. I talked about how I just wanted sex and was out of the league of all the girls there. I told them to buy me drinks and was really sexist. I'm pretty sure that girls do not like this sort of personality.

On the other hand , my "ugly" friend , complimented the girls , was really
confident , cracked jokes and defended the women when I was being sexist. I'm pretty sure girls like this sort of personality.

End Result : I go home with 2 of the best looking girls at the club and
he was rejected four times...

Admit it girls and come off your high horses , you're just as shallow as
men

Of course they don't, it seems that most guys think the entrance fee to a girls vagina is through supplying large amounts of vodka lime.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending