The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
do you mean edexcel a?

section A was SHOCKING I totally screwed it up. i had no idea what to say....
section B was ok, i did q3 but we were only given info for hazards by our teacher, so was not pleased when it didn't turn up....
Reply 2
By far and away the hardest paper they have set. The past papers I have done in timed conditions, especially in terms of question 1, have been so so so so much easier than that. Everyone I knew found they were at a loss of quite what they wanted you to pick out each time.
Reply 3
heebs. section A was so awful.. especially the final part, I only managed to write about half a side. B wasn't too bad.

:frown:
Reply 4
well i found both parts hard, though not as bad as the human exam. I was expecting a hazards question 2 but it ended up being something on wilderness, and hazards is all I revised really. However saying that I ended up doing question 4 on biotic recources which ended up being a relatively good essay.
Reply 5
It was AWFUL! Every synoptic paper I have looked at was soooooo much easier than this one! Especially last years, but this was just too complicated and difficult. I spent an hour and a half waffling in section A and half an hour to do question 3. I totally messed this exam up. I really wish this one wasn't 40% of our grade :frown:
Reply 6
human geography was pretty straight forward last friday

synoptic...dont get me started!

section A on the Mekong River was horrible, soooo inaccessible!

the data was difficult, the questions were awkward, and i just didnt have enough to write about the physcial characteristics of the basin.

last years paper on las vegas was a doddle in comparison.

i'd like to think ums this year will be accordingly scaled, as usual, so it's not really the end of the world.

section B was alrite, couldve been better! i chose question 5.

last years scores : unit 1 :76/90, unit 2: 83/90, unit 3: 120/120
total 279/300. :eek:
Reply 7
glad im not the only one who screwed up!
Reply 8
i wouldnt say i screwed up, i just think the paper couldve been better, physical and human i.e. units 4 and 5 marks should have gone alrite so that should recooperate any lost marks, we hope! :biggrin:
Reply 9
recurring
harrow boy, i'm hoping that my score from last year as well will give me enough of a cushion too! Seriously sucks for the hazards people if there were no hazards questions :confused:

Yes I am bitterly disappointed in that. I need an extra grade to get into the uni I want, and it does not look promising
Reply 10
Thought section A was a bit of a bitch, not much to write about, especially part D which was meant to hold the most marks.. :redface:

Section B wasn't too bad, I did question 5 as you could bring in all sorts of stuff like migration and recently learnt stuff on globalisation, urbanisation and such like..
Reply 11
I'm totally screwed because of this paper. I messed up on the unit 3 paper last year so it lowered my A to 248, I really needed good marks on the synoptic to get an A this year. I really hope the examiners will be lenient when marking.
Reply 12
this is so funny: last year's examiners report states: there were anecdotal reports from teaching colleagues that some students actually enjoyed the paper.

what a joke, obviously isn't going to be the same this year
Reply 13
enjoyed the paper? Bet the examiners are lying :rolleyes:
Reply 14
.........who enjoys examinations?! freaks.
Yeah Moondust i'm in exactly the same position as you (well 247 :smile:), i'm really worried now, i think this paper has ruined my chances of getting an A as well :frown:
Reply 16
I didn't think it was thaaat bad, lol. Really boring stuff though. I did q3 about the rapid popn growth I basically said specific effects from a lot of case studies as I hadn't specifically revised synoptic (except hazards, lol, handy...)...
Reply 17
I just re-read last years synoptic paper, and it makes me really angry that edexcel could be so evil and give such simple questions last year and give difficult questions this year where we have to compare 5 different countries. :mad:
Reply 18
Question 1: as always was very pushed for time and not a clue what to say really.

Question 5:
MEDC:
Modern-day France: BR up therefore population- successful.
UK: S to N migration therefore distribution- not successful.

LEDC:
China: One Child Policy, 1979 therefore population- successful.
Rio de Janeiro: rural-urban-new town of Barra- therefore distribution- too successful!

NIC:
Indonesia: Java to peripheral islands therefore distribution- not successful.

That's it. *Fingers crossed*
Section A was terrible. Was suprised that there was no hazard question. It was all our teachers had focused on! I did the one about population growth and distribution. It was quite a nice essay because I could bring in so many different ideas.

Latest

Trending

Trending