The Student Room Group

2014 Veterinary Nursing

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by tobyrosco
Hi everybody,

Just about to send off my Uni application off to RVC London, Plumpton, Nottingham Trent, Warwickshire and Middlesex for the foundation degree in vet nursing.

As a mature student of 46 I feel extremely excited and nervous at the same time! Does anybody know how long we have to wait before we actually hear from the Uni's ?

Hi, according to the UCAS website, if you apply by the January deadline you should have all your offers by the 8th of may,so really you should hear back before then to have your interview and everything, how long they take will vary by uni though. There are some key dates here http://www.ucas.com/apply/key-dates?field_key_date_grouping_tid=All#tab-0

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 81
What do people say when you mention you want to be a vet nurse?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The people that ive told that I want to do vet nursing have been very supportive and encouraging :wink:
Reply 83
Original post by Jay95
What do people say when you mention you want to be a vet nurse?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That the wages are crap for picking up crap!

I don't take no notice as I am aiming for a profession that I want to be a part of.
Reply 84
Original post by xlizx
Hi, according to the UCAS website, if you apply by the January deadline you should have all your offers by the 8th of may,so really you should hear back before then to have your interview and everything, how long they take will vary by uni though. There are some key dates here http://www.ucas.com/apply/key-dates?field_key_date_grouping_tid=All#tab-0

Hope this helps :smile:

Thanks for the info, its going to be a looong wait then!
Reply 85
Original post by tobyrosco
Thanks for the info, its going to be a looong wait then!

Unfortunately yes! the deadline for the applications to be in is the 15th of January so they have to wait until they are all in to make a decision
Reply 86
I'm applying to Brighton for the FdSc course starting in 2014 :smile: I've got various exp, 2 weeks within two different practices in April and May this year, 1-2 days per week at a local practice for 3 months this year, 1 day per week at another practice for 5 months last year all SA and I've been working with a local dog walker for the past 3 years. Got 2 weeks planned in February next year and a possibility on a long term placement somewhere else and I'm still looking now. Fingers crossed, I've been waiting to do this since I was 4 and I'm 20 now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 87
Whats the difference between a foundation and BSc course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 88
A foundation degree is a level 5 course I believe? It's about a quarter of a full degree I think I read somewhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 89
Hi!
I am an International student from Sweden I am planing on applying for veterinary nursing at Middlesex and Edinburgh Napier. Im pretty much done with everything, just my personal statement left, any tips what to put in it? This is fairly new to me since we dont have this is Sweden they only go on our grades.
Where are you all applying? Anything I should think about when applying?
Thank you!
Ive just had my second draft of my personal statement checked over by a lecturer for Manchester university, after correcting it my personal statement is in this order: why I want to do vet nursing and what I like about the course, work experience and what I gained from it, some of what I have witnessed while on work experience, my hobbies and how they tie in with the course, how biology a level has helped me and other useful subjects im doing, aspects of my personality, what I would gain from studying at university (hope this helps) Im applying to Harper Adams, Edinburgh, Myerscough, Nottingham Trent, Anglia Ruskin :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 91
Original post by TamsinJayne
Ive just had my second draft of my personal statement checked over by a lecturer for Manchester university, after correcting it my personal statement is in this order: why I want to do vet nursing and what I like about the course, work experience and what I gained from it, some of what I have witnessed while on work experience, my hobbies and how they tie in with the course, how biology a level has helped me and other useful subjects im doing, aspects of my personality, what I would gain from studying at university (hope this helps) Im applying to Harper Adams, Edinburgh, Myerscough, Nottingham Trent, Anglia Ruskin :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im so bad at this with the personal statement I know allot of people talk about their A levels but since Im Swedish I dont really know whats equal. But thank you for the help at least I know kind of what to put in it. Im hoping I will get an offer, hopefully I will figure it out :wink:
Reply 92
How much of the biology side has everyone written about on their personal statements?, on the course I'm doing I don't really start all the biology units until January and by then my personal statement will be in already, but it will be animal biology so quite relevant
Ive only done one small paragraph about biology and I just mentioned some of the modules on the vet nursing course and how biology modules such as reproductive strategies/ gaseous exchange in animals/ adaptions for nutrition would be useful to know before starting the course
Reply 94
Great thank you, think ill just mention the units that I will be doing on my current course, such as animal anatomy and physiology, infection control etc how they will relate and how they will give me a good basic knowlege for the degree, hopefully that will be OK
Good morning guys (if it's morning there) =)

I was looking at Veterinary Nursing Science under University of the West of London, Bristol. Their entry requirement says

A-level subjects: Two A2's include a Biological Science or equivalent

my A-level subjects are math, chemistry, physics and general studies. as you can see i don't have biology BUT some of the topics taught in chemistry and physics are related to Vet Nursing such as x-ray, cro, drugs, medicine, nanotech etc.

will my application be accepted even if i don't have bio? what's biological science?

what's the difference between vet nursing and vet nursing science?

thank you for the reply :smile:
You would have to contact the uni although it does say "or equivalent".. you could possibly get away with having your chemistry and physics. Not entirely sure but I would suggest emailing the admissions people and getting more information from them :smile:
Does anyone know what happens with our proof of doing work experience? Do we take it with us to an interview or do we send it to them?
Reply 98
any one doing and Fdsc instead of Bsc. do you intend to do a Top-up after completing your Fdsc??
Im applying for both and if I do the fdsc then I will top it up

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending