The Student Room Group

2014 Veterinary Nursing

Hi just thought I start a thread for those who want to apply for veterinary nursing this year :biggrin:.

I would like to apply to the RVC and Middlesex but I am not sure which one is first choice :/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Jay95
Hi just thought I start a thread for those who want to apply for veterinary nursing this year :biggrin:.

I would like to apply to the RVC and Middlesex but I am not sure which one is first choice :/

Hi I am applying to do a BSc in veterinary nursing for 2014 , my first choice is The College of West Anglia and still need to decide on my other choices :smile:
Reply 2
I'm applying too for the BSc after a gap year. RVC would be my first choice, although I wouldn't turn down Bristol to do VN+BVS.
Reply 3
What kind of work experience does everyone have?
Reply 4
Can i ask why u guys have chosen vet nursing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
oh and my work exp is ...
2 weeks SA vet
8 day course london zoo
RVC summer school
volunteering at stables in riding schook
and another 2 weeks at SA vet

what about u guys?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Working with animals in a hands on role is something I have wanted to do for a while and when I researched into veterinary nursing it just seemed ti fit, supporting animals throughout their care and treatment it exactly what I want to do.

How about you? why veterinary nursing?

Work experience wise I have been volunteering at a Hedgehog hospital for 5 weeks, and am going to spend the rest of the year getting as much work experience as I can as I know I don't have enough at the moment. I'm also going to be doing the animal nursing assistants qualification while I do this :smile:
Reply 7
That sounds like a good plan! u need veterinary wrk exp right?

yeah i want to do vet nursing for the same reasons as u! To work with animals in the after care and being hands one!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Yeah, the entry requirements for the Uni I'm applying for are to have a minimum of four weeks animal experience with at least two weeks in a small or mixed veterinary practice so I'm email around all my local vets to see if they'll have me
Reply 9
What are your other choices for uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I haven't decided yet, I'm trying to find uni's that I can commute to from Cambridge, finding hard to pick five so don't know if ill use all of my choices. Are you applying to any other ones?
Reply 11
hmmm id really like one close to home so i can commute so first choice is middlesex then its the RVC but if i go RVC then id probably have to move out....and i dont want to lol!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Fingers crossed we get our first choices then lol :smile:
I'm hoping to apply to Harper Adams << first choice :smile:, Myerscough HE college, Nottingham Trent. I'm not sure at the moment if I will be applying to anywhere else. I've done 6 weeks in a small animal veterinary practice, 1 week at a horse stables and I've got weeks booked for next Easter and summer holidays at a small and large vets practice.
Reply 14
Original post by TamsinJayne
I'm hoping to apply to Harper Adams << first choice :smile:, Myerscough HE college, Nottingham Trent. I'm not sure at the moment if I will be applying to anywhere else. I've done 6 weeks in a small animal veterinary practice, 1 week at a horse stables and I've got weeks booked for next Easter and summer holidays at a small and large vets practice.

wow you got loads of exp for vet nursing!!
thanks :smile: I really enjoy doing work experience as there's always something different to see, plus the staff are really friendly. I did 4 weeks in a small animal practice during the summer holidays.
Reply 16
yeah thats true, i did 2 weeks at a small animal vets and summer school at thr RVC over my summer :-D
Oh bother .. I only decided I defiantly wanted to do veterinary nursing before the summer so I spent the whole summer trying to find work experience and their was nothing (I live in a rural area) I have 1 week lined up in October and that's it ..HELP
Reply 18
Original post by Shadow_hunter
Oh bother .. I only decided I defiantly wanted to do veterinary nursing before the summer so I spent the whole summer trying to find work experience and their was nothing (I live in a rural area) I have 1 week lined up in October and that's it ..HELP

is there any way you can travel a bit further out?, or are there any farms or stables close by? as long as you have a least some veterinary experience, and the rest made up of stables/farms/pets shops/shelter etc I think that will be fine :smile:

Where are you applying to?
Some places only want 2 weeks done before your interview (which would be in January/February) and you could make up the weeks in hours, last year I was in the vets on a Wednesday after school for 2 and a half hours, so that's made up one of my weeks, you could do your work experience this way once you find somewhere :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending