The Student Room Group

If you could pick ANY A-levels...

I can't be the only year 11 thinking about A-levels already, especially on TSR.

Unfortunately not every school/college offers all a-level choices, and some people don't really have a choice which college/sixthform they go to due to location.

So if you could pick your *dream* subjects. List of subjects found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Advanced_Level_subjects

Obviously no-one has set their choices in stone yet so its all what you think you would do.

Preferred Subjects:
Actual Subjects:
Comments:

I'll go first:

Preferred Subjects:
Art and Design, Maths, Computing, History of Art
Actual Subjects:
Art and Design, Maths, French, ICT BTEC(ugh)
Comments:
The only colleges that offer my preferred subjects are a boat/plane journey away with extraordinary fees so I'll be stuck to my school sixth form

EDIT: Non-year 11 feel free to participate.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
my dream subjects - further maths, maths, physics, computing

actual subjects - computing, ict, politics (urghhhh)
Preferred Subjects: Philosophy & Ethics, Photography, Sociology, Economics, German, History (with better unit options though), Maths, Classical Civilisation
Actual Subjects: Maths, History, German, Geography
Comments: My school didn't offer P&E and Economics (a nearby school that did didn't offer German), my school only offered Sociology via distance learning (one hour a week video conference with a tutor), Photography was in the same option block as Maths, only one school/college out of my city and the neighbouring city offered Classical Civilisation, but it didn't offer German, and I couldn't find any state schools/colleges offering Latin (I'm in year twelve)
Reply 3
Preferred Subjects: Art and Design, Art Textiles, Photography, Art History
Actual Subjects:
Art and Design, English Language, Philosophy and Ethics, Psychology
Comments: My school only offers one of my preferred subjects and they're all deemed to be 'soft' subjects anyway :frown:
Reply 4
Preferred Subjects: Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and History
Actual Subjects: Sociology, Religious Studies, Psychology
Comments: My sixth form refused to let me retake science subjects after getting bad grades in my first year
:mad:
Reply 5
Original post by contradicta

Unfortunately not every school/college offers all a-level choices, and some people don't really have a choice which college/sixthform they go to due to location.

So if you could pick your *dream* subjects. List of subjects found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Advanced_Level_subjects

Obviously no-one has set their choices in stone yet so its all what you think you would do.

Preferred Subjects:
Actual Subjects:
Comments:

I'll go first:

Preferred Subjects:
Actual Subjects:
Comments:
The only colleges that offer my preferred subjects are a boat/plane journey away with extraordinary fees so I'll be stuck to my school sixth form

I'm in year 13 can I do this? :tongue:

Preferred Subjects: Maths, Further Maths, Additional Further Maths, Physics
Actual Subjects: Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Additional Further Maths (AS for 2014), History (AS - done)
Comments: School wouldn't let me do physics because of my GCSEs and I didn't find out about additional further maths until year 13.

Preferred Subjects:
Actual Subjects:
Comments:

I'll go first:

Preferred Subjects:
Actual Subjects:
Comments:

Preferred subjects: biology, history, english literature and philosophy.

Actual subjects: biology, history, english literature and chemistry.

Comments: should NOT have taken chemistry (only took it because I wanted to do vet med at the time), and my sixth form only did philosophy and ethics anyway. Happy with biology, history and english literature now anyway :smile:
Reply 7
Preferred - Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, DT Systems and Control
Taken - Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, DT Product Design
Comments - Got a D in Product Design, courtesy the AQA examiners marking me down by 2 grades and relatively unhelpful teachers.
Preferred Subjects: Biology, chemistry, physics and Spanish

Actual Subjects: Biology (at home), chemistry, physics, maths, Spanish and French. Oh and general studies if you count that (it's compulsory).

Comments: I'm taking way too many. I had to do biology at home because it's in the same option block as physics - which I thought was really stupid along with my science teachers but life goes on. I'm taking Spanish and French at the moment because I got a higher grade in French (although it was only a couple of UMS difference), I'm also taking maths which I don't really like but it goes well with physics especially the Mechanics section.
Reply 9
Original post by Ninjasrule

Actual Subjects: Biology (at home), chemistry, physics, maths, Spanish and French. Oh and general studies if you count that (it's compulsory).

That's a heavy workload!
Is anyone not taking General studies? At my school they let you drop it if you do Art & Design because the coursework is so heavy you get extra lessons instead of doing General Studies.
Reply 10
Preferred Subjects: Spanish, French, Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, German, Geography and English Literature.

Actual Subjects: French, Maths, Chemistry and Physics

Comments: I picked the four subjects I enjoy the most at the moment and which I think I will do best in.
Preferred subjects: Sociology, media & economics
Actual subjects: English Literature, Language, Spanish (Chemistry for AS)

Hate all my subjects
That's a heavy workload!
Is anyone not taking General studies? At my school they let you drop it if you do Art & Design because the coursework is so heavy you get extra lessons instead of doing General Studies.

I know :frown:
Unfortunately no, it's completely compulsory at my school. I could do less subjects at another school and do the exact ones I wanted but it's an hour away with public transport. I do still have 2 free periods at my current school and we have an hour and half for lunch so it's not too bad. The teachers are really helpful and understanding too :smile:
Preferred Subjects: chemistry, physics, maths, further maths
Actual Subjects: chemistry, biology, physics
Comments: fell asleep in my maths exam so didn't do very well :L biology is a pile of ****
Reply 14
Preferred Subjects: Philosophy, History, English Language and Literature, Biology.
Actual Subjects: Religious Studies, History, English Language and Literature.
Comments: I have just finished Year 13 I was quite fortunate that I did subjects I was passionate about but I do regret not having a science A-level.
Preferred Subjects: AS/A2: Music, Chemistry, Human Biology, Maths, Further Maths, Additional Further Maths
Actual Subjects: AS: Additional Further Maths, Music; A2: Maths, Further maths, Biology, Chemistry
Comments: I'm kind of doing what I wanted but I really wish I could have done A2 music!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Preferred Subjects: Maths, Philosophy, History (Maybe with some decent units), Statistics, Economics, Law (Maybe for lols)
Actual Subjects: Maths, Economics, Psychology
Comments: I screwed history up big time.... Boy italy and gladstone were very very interesting topics -.- Botched the maths exam too.... But i wish i did religious studies instead at my school.
Preferred Subjects: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry

Actual Subjects: Maths, Physics, Chemistry (Finished an AS in History last year, and am now attempting to kinda self-study AS Further Maths - sometimes I can drop into the actual Further Maths class depending on my timetable and get some proper teaching)

Comments: I got a good grade in History, but it was definitely a distraction - if I'd had pure mathy/sciency subjects to focus on, I bet I'd have got a better grade in them. Also, I really regret not taking Further Maths because it's so useful for Physics at university. I wish somebody had informed me better :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest