The Student Room Group
Reply 1
zainkhan2050
I've got down a two studies and theories that are culturally bias but i need more and im struggling.

Got any ideas?

Ps. i dont get emic and etic.

Etic is studying different cultures from outside that culture and generalise results. Behaviours will be apparent in all cultures, but culture might influence its development
Emic is studying from within a culture and only 1 culture, and findings are significant to that culture. See all cultures as unique and individual.

which studies have you got, coz im confused about that too? :confused:
Reply 2
Kolberg is ethnocentric becasue his model is based on western culture and other cultures could have different moral standards.

Moghaddam claims that "economic" theories or relationships may only apply to individualistic cultures. Theories like social exchange theory.
Reply 3
theyre the only studies i have too, surely theres more than 2!
im just prayin it doesnt come up on the exam! :p:
Reply 4
Apparently it's tipped to come up and they're the only studies i have too from the AQA A textbook!
Reply 5
found these:

Freud claimed that his Oedipus theory was universal across cultures.

The Asch Effect Perrin and Spencer (1980) replicated Asch’s conformity study and got different results. They claimed this was due to cultural differences that have come about through time.

Yerkes conducted mental tests on army recruits during the first world war. He found that the average black US soldier had a mental age of 10.4 compared to the average mental age of white US adults of 13. This study was used to support the idea of genetic superiority between races. However his research was clearly culturally bias.....
Reply 6
Nel48
Apparently it's tipped to come up

no wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy i'm so weak on cultural bias :frown: :frown: :frown: DOH!!!:frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending