The Student Room Group

Should I take a Maths or RE A level?

I want to apply for Cambridge or Oxford in a couple of years (depending on my grades) to do a law degree, and I'm looking at my A-Level options.
I have already decided to take:
-English Lit
-History
-Economics

( Any alternitives to maths/ RE would also be appreciated)

I already have an A* in RE, so I think I would do well at A -Level, I am currently doing my maths gcse , my predicted grade is an a, although when I look at a-level exam papers it's so daunting, so I might not get the A* A A grades a require to get into Oxbridge.

Some pro's and cons of both would be very useful. Thank you so much :smile:
Reply 1
Maths is a much more worthwhile A-level and either Oxbridge uni would think more of it, I guess it depends how much time and effort you would be willing to put into it and without it compromising your other A-levels :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Fiosud
Maths is a much more worthwhile A-level and either Oxbridge uni would think more of it, I guess it depends how much time and effort you would be willing to put into it and without it compromising your other A-levels :smile:

I'm pretty sure I'd do well with RE, it's a risk taking maths as it will be more challenging- but more worthwhile. Such a dilemma, thanks for your help!
Reply 3
Can you ask a mod to move this out of the postgrad forum to a relevant one please?
Original post by Fiosud
Maths is a much more worthwhile A-level and either Oxbridge uni would think more of it...

For Law? I wonder why, and certainly wonder where you're getting your information from.
Reply 5
Up to you. Consider the following:

Maths goes better with economics than RS. You could potentially go into economics as well if you have a change of heart (they want maths).

Maths is (arguably) more respected than RS, though both are acceptable.

A-levels are very different to GCSEs. You may find RS hard at A-level even if you found it easy at GCSE (same applies for maths)

RS is essay based therefore more like your other subjects (and law)

How much you personally enjoy each subject (the more the better as you'll be more willing to work towards it and get better grades).

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Exon
Up to you. Consider the following:

Maths goes better with economics than RS. You could potentially go into economics as well if you have a change of heart (they want maths).

Maths is (arguably) more respected than RS, though both are acceptable considering it's law that you're applying to.

A-levels are very different to GCSEs. You may find RS hard at A-level even if you found it easy at GCSE (same applies for maths)

RS is essay based therefore more like your other subjects.

How much you personally enjoy each subject (the more the better as you'll be more willing to work towards it and get better grades).

That's so helpful! I enjoy RS more, but maybe because I'm better at it? I'm not sure. Would it be worth taking Maths and Economics? Or just one? Thanks :3
Reply 7
Original post by VintageTeaCup
That's so helpful! I enjoy RS more, but maybe because I'm better at it? I'm not sure. Would it be worth taking Maths and Economics? Or just one? Thanks :3

Economics isn't my field so I'll refer you to this:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Economics_Degree

Apparently Maths is the only essential A-level, though Economics is highly desirable.
Original post by cambio wechsel
For Law? I wonder why, and certainly wonder where you're getting your information from.

With arts subjects they don't care about the subject itself but simply if it's one of their preferred ones. I'm not sure if RE is in their preferred list ( I think it's in tier 2) but Mathematics is definitely in tier 1.
Reply 9
Original post by Rainingshame
With arts subjects they don't care about the subject itself but simply if it's one of their preferred ones. I'm not sure if RE is in their preferred list ( I think it's in tier 2) but Mathematics is definitely in tier 1.

If you could find the link to that it would be very useful, thank you very much for your help!:biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by cambio wechsel

Got my info from an admissions tutor at Oxford :smile: especially for someone like the OP because its very different from their other subjects and shows they can balance different studying skills

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rainingshame

If this is from the Trinity College Cambridge A level guide, I think you've misunderstood. Tier 1 and Tier 2 are equally good, but Tier 1 is science subjects and Tier 2 is arts subjects.

OP, Maths and RS are both respected subjects, and for Law there's not much to choose between them. Maths goes well with Economics and RS goes well with your subject combo as a whole. I'd just do whichever one you're better at and might enjoy more, and that looks like RS to me. (I'm doing both of them.)
Original post by VintageTeaCup
I want to apply for Cambridge or Oxford in a couple of years (depending on my grades) to do a law degree, and I'm looking at my A-Level options.
I have already decided to take:
-English Lit
-History
-Economics

( Any alternitives to maths/ RE would also be appreciated)

I already have an A* in RE, so I think I would do well at A -Level, I am currently doing my maths gcse , my predicted grade is an a, although when I look at a-level exam papers it's so daunting, so I might not get the A* A A grades a require to get into Oxbridge.

Some pro's and cons of both would be very useful. Thank you so much :smile:
You're in completely the wrong forum here. This is postgraduate. Post in any or all of: Oxford; Cambridge; Law; A levels.

Quick Reply

Latest