The Student Room Group

Glasgow A100 Applicants - 2014

Poll

UKCAT

Hey everyone,

I have yet to find a thread dedicated to Glasgow Medical School so decided to make one.

Here is an updated Admission Guide:
http://www.gla.ac.uk/media/media_278060_en.pdf

Revent's FOI request:
http://blog.unireq.co.uk/medicine/admission-statistics-2011-12/university-of-glasgow/

:love: I love Glasgow and I am definitely going to apply this cycle - anyone else with me? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Cephalosporin
Hey everyone,

I have yet to find a thread dedicated to Glasgow Medical School so decided to make one.

Here is an updated Admission Guide:
http://www.gla.ac.uk/media/media_278060_en.pdf

Revent's FOI request:
http://blog.unireq.co.uk/medicine/admission-statistics-2011-12/university-of-glasgow/

:love: I love Glasgow and I am definitely going to apply this cycle - anyone else with me? :smile:

I am applying as well. Are you scottish/ EU or a Rest of UK applicant?
Applying here !
What does everyone think the ukcat cut off will be?
Reply 3
Hey guys thinking of applying here, I never really been to Glasgow though and I'm from England, do you guys know if they give preference to Scottish applicants? And what their UKCAT cut off was last year? Thanks :biggrin:
Reply 4
I'll be applying to Glasgow. Got 790 on UKCAT so should be pretty much guaranteed an interview.

Last year the cutoff was 675, but it has increased each year as far as I know. I'm guessing that it will be 690 this year, although that is simply my opinion based on previous years.
Reply 5
Original post by Temmystical
I am applying as well. Are you scottish/ EU or a Rest of UK applicant?

Hahaha I am neither! Non - EU applicant here. This is so exciting! I can't believe the ball is finally rolling. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by raveen789
Hey guys thinking of applying here, I never really been to Glasgow though and I'm from England, do you guys know if they give preference to Scottish applicants? And what their UKCAT cut off was last year? Thanks :biggrin:

The cut off was 675 like what calum said and no they don't give preference to Scottish applicants, I was an english applicant and it wasn't any harder for me compared to anyone else

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Castiel'
The cut off was 675 like what calum said and no they don't give preference to Scottish applicants, I was an english applicant and it wasn't any harder for me compared to anyone else

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you find their interview, Im worried about the problem solving bit, I dunno why :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by raveen789
How did you find their interview, Im worried about the problem solving bit, I dunno why :frown:

It was really pleasant, the interviewers are very nice so it helps to ease you in. It only lasted 15 minutes so be prepared for some rushing on their part when asking you questions. Problem solving? As in they give you a situation and you have to say what you'd do? Practice discussing ethical issues, giving both sides of an argument and try to centre your answer about how it will/won't benefit the patient (i.e. what would you do if you found out one of your colleagues was drunk and treating a patient). In addition, don't be afraid to back up your point if the interviewers question you about the 'action' or decision you would take in that scenario. For example, you may say that you'd pull the doctor aside and tell him to go home (from the example scenario above) but they may appear to disagree with you to a certain extent or appear surprised at your choice so you'd have to back your choice up with some logical reasons. If you meant something else about problem solving and I got the wrong end of the stick do say :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by Castiel'
It was really pleasant, the interviewers are very nice so it helps to ease you in. It only lasted 15 minutes so be prepared for some rushing on their part when asking you questions. Problem solving? As in they give you a situation and you have to say what you'd do? Practice discussing ethical issues, giving both sides of an argument and try to centre your answer about how it will/won't benefit the patient (i.e. what would you do if you found out one of your colleagues was drunk and treating a patient). In addition, don't be afraid to back up your point if the interviewers question you about the 'action' or decision you would take in that scenario. For example, you may say that you'd pull the doctor aside and tell him to go home (from the example scenario above) but they may appear to disagree with you to a certain extent or appear surprised at your choice so you'd have to back your choice up with some logical reasons. If you meant something else about problem solving and I got the wrong end of the stick do say :tongue:

15 minutes must pass so, so quickly! I'm a bit of a waffler, once you get me started talking about something all I do is go rambling on and on (usually really unimportant rambles too!) Would you say it's best to limit answers to say 1 - 2 minutes each and stick to the point? (even if that means omitting information?)

Also, say with that example you gave Re: hypothetical drunk colleague treating patients, do you think it's best to stick to a viewpoint and be assertive or be conciliatory, ie if proven wrong - admit it?
Reply 10
Original post by Cephalosporin
15 minutes must pass so, so quickly! I'm a bit of a waffler, once you get me started talking about something all I do is go rambling on and on (usually really unimportant rambles too!) Would you say it's best to limit answers to say 1 - 2 minutes each and stick to the point? (even if that means omitting information?)

Also, say with that example you gave Re: hypothetical drunk colleague treating patients, do you think it's best to stick to a viewpoint and be assertive or be conciliatory, ie if proven wrong - admit it?

Well for the Glasgow interview you better cut down the waffling to a minimum because they won't have time for it, they just want some really sharp and concise answers that are still weighty in content. Yes definitely 1-2 mins you may find some questions require slightly shorter answers. I feel any good answer to a Medicine interview shouldn't really stray past the 2 minute mark but ends up covering many relevant points because 1-2 mins is more than enough time. I think one of the most important things is to really listen and understand what they are asking. I have answered a similar question to the one that was actually asked in many practice interviews and failed considerably to actually hit the points that were being looked for. Never ever listen to a question, and start thinking oh this is good I've already answered this question I'll just say my pre-planned answer. There must always be a degree of improvisation that's what I found and if you go off on a tangent you haven't got much time to correct it. Well I feel it's good to stick to a viewpoint if you have logical reasons for it but always say how you understand that there may be other methods to tackle the problem or there may be other issues that could arise from this so you realise no one solution is completely correct etc... If you are proven wrong though do be humble and conciliatory but always come across as willing to learn what the correct thing would be. For example, from that scenario described above, if the colleague that was drunk was actually your senior consultant and you said that you would pull the consultant aside and ask him to go home because he's drunk may not go down so well with the interviewer as they may question whether you as a junior would actually simply go up to a senior so brazenly like that. They may question whether that really is the right solution and you wouldn't simply stick with your original answer. In your follow up reply you'd try and show an understanding of the complexity of the differing dynamics within a hospital workplace and how you may approach the hospital manager or someone more senior to escalate it further as they may know a better way of tackling such a sensitive issue. This is just one example of many of how a straight forward question leading to a straight forward answer can be challenged by the interviewer and so you'd have to understand the finer details and complexity of it because that's what they want to see.
Reply 11
Hey all, going to be applying to Glasgow as well! :biggrin: Any ideas what the UKCAT cut-off will be this year? With the interview, is it PS based as well as other typical medical interview questions?
Any ideas of my chances into this uni? I got AAB for AS levels. Taking am extra AS during year 13 which is currently , predicted AAA and an A on the extra AS level, ukcat of 702.5
Reply 13
Original post by flamegoblin0
Any ideas of my chances into this uni? I got AAB for AS levels. Taking am extra AS during year 13 which is currently , predicted AAA and an A on the extra AS level, ukcat of 702.5

You have a good ukcat score. But the B in the AS level may affect your scoring after the interview.
Original post by AviG123
You have a good ukcat score. But the B in the AS level may affect your scoring after the interview.

Are offers given based on interview scores only or they look at the whole application?
Original post by AviG123

Do they take into account ums marks? Because it was a high B and I got 90% for the other 2 exams o.O I think ill have a higher chance at Glasgow compared to Aberdeen
I have a UKCAT score of 673 is it worth me applying to Glasgow?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
You're dangerously on the cutoff with 673.
Original post by Herisson
You're dangerously on the cutoff with 673.

I know that's the problem. Would St Andrews be a better option?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
I think so, if you have good academics and PS, then yes, because 673 would be probably slightly above average for St. Andrews and they use banding rather than cutoffs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending