The Student Room Group

Thoughts on Suzi Perry

I'm still surprised how bad Suzi Perry has been on F1, she is totally out of her depth and has no real knowledge on the basics of F1 other than if it rain it becomes slippery.
I've grown tired of her poor interviews and her technique of just passing all the hard work to DC and E Jordan, now I just avoid watching 80% race build up and also 80% of post race footage.

Scroll to see replies

she'd get it
Original post by YamahaLondon
I'm still surprised how bad Suzi Perry has been on F1, she is totally out of her depth and has no real knowledge on the basics of F1 other than if it rain it becomes slippery.
I've grown tired of her poor interviews and her technique of just passing all the hard work to DC and E Jordan, now I just avoid watching 80% race build up and also 80% of post race footage.

Deal with it or get Sky. Not much else to say about it really.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4
Reply 3
Agreed she's rubbish. Get rid.
She was good today.

She visibly struggled at the start of the season, but I think she's coming into her own and DC EJ and her are starting to look comfortable with each other.
Reply 5
Jake Humphrey was brilliant, so when Suzi came in she obviously wasn't as good, but I thought I'd give her some time to get used to presenting before judging her. She has improved, but not by much to be brutally honest. She is very charming but constantly turns to DC and EJ for any opinions rather than voicing her own, it's a bit tiring... Particularly today during the Italian GP I thought the whole coverage was a fair bit worse than usual, a lot of mistakes were being made such as Suzi saying things like "lets hear from Paul Di Resta now"... "Oh, no we can't do that right now"... 5 seconds... "Ok, now let's hear from him".

However it's not just Suzi Perry that's letting BBC's coverage down, it's the quality of the cutaway films (although admittedly the Mikka one today was good). We used to get really detailed analysis of each team done by EJ and now there's none of that.

This is unrelated to BBC but did anyone else think that the podium interviews today were extremely cringe worthy? What with John Surtees' VERY long pause before asking Seb a question and with Alesi's rude approach to the interview? At one point he walked away from Alonso while he was still talking.
I think she's doing alright for her first year tbh but Jake was just awesome so it's tough to compare her against him.

She was always very good at motogp so i'm probably bias towards her and she may be doing less well but i'm too busy remembering all the good motogp times.
Reply 7
I tend to just watch the Sky coverage tbh, I prefer Brundle/Croft's commentary to the BBC's, partly cause I am so used to the former from ITV/BBC days, plus Sky's presentation of things just seems that much slicker than the BBC, not to mention I can watch every race on there rather than just half of them. (which is part of why I pay my mum for the extra sports channels on our sky package)
She isn't great, you're right in that she does look completely out of her depth. Formula 1 is one of the most difficult sports to grasp, the sporting context is hard enough and then you've got the technical aspect of it too.

She did do well with MotoGP, because she was genuinely interested in it as a keen rider herself. F1 is just a good opportunity that came up and she took it. She's as interested in this as she was in gadgets for her part in the gadget show. Jack of all trades, master of none as they say.

BBC needed to get a presenter who's properly into F1. Chris Evans would be fantastic, a top class presenter and a big F1 fan too.

Lee McKenzie was an obvious choice but she's not as good in presenting generally, she's just a F1 geek.

Tbh the pre and post race stuff has become appalling now (for both BBC and Sky). It's just filled with utter garbage most of the time. On Sky F1 I just set the thing on record, play it half an hour before lights go off. I find myself fast forwarding it all and I manage to fit the 90 mins in less than 30.

2010 BBC is probably when F1 coveraged peak. The race promos pre-race were fantastic, and the F1 forum was simply great entertainment...nearing Top Gear level entertainment.
Original post by YamahaLondon

I don't agree with you. I think she's done a brilliant job and is an excellent presenter. I've enjoyed her on F1.
Comparing her to Jake, just after her first season, is unreasonable. I don't really read into the performances of presenters in the sport, but I didn't mind her, the content is what normally matters to me in buildups and post-event recollection, Suzi and Jake's Motorsport backgrounds are different to say the least, the latter with some strong history with F1. She's something different the BBC are working with, she can only learn and improve in her second season. :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
I've found her very different to Jake rather than bad but it has made the coverage a bit less lively. Watching Jake, EJ and DC was like watching three mates which I loved, made it more relate able in a way. Now with Suzi I feel EJ in particular has calmed down a lot.
Suzi Perry RUINS the F1 her presentation skills are non existent. BBC please listen get rid of get she is awful and rude and really ignorant. There are so many knowledgeable people out there who are personable etc why would anyone choose her
She's bad but not nearly as bad as Simon Lazenby. That prick makes me inexplicably angry.
Original post by Stanley Winchest
She's bad but not nearly as bad as Simon Lazenby. That prick makes me inexplicably angry.

At least he has a strong personality. Even though he rustles peoples jimmies he much better than the zombie that is perry.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Thank goodness someone else has noticed that Suzi Perry is rude. The way she talks to DC and the others sometimes - she's exerting her authority on them unnecessarily. "Now DC - you run along to your commentary box..." Whaaat!!! She tyalks down to DC and EJ frequently. Looking at their facial expressions when she comes out with stuff like that - it's like they want to slap her. (metaphorically, of course....)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
I would lay the pipe
nom sayin?
Reply 17
That at least I agree with. Lazenby was so completely out of his depth and useless. He is just a man with a mic...

Without Brundle, Johnny and even Ted the Sky coverage would be completely useless. Georgie was good and they got ride of her!!

But I never liked Jake, or any of the former presenters because they were all just generic sports presenters (I.E. football lovers-always talked about football FFS) parachuted into F1. Murray Walker's strength was his undiluted, unabridged and-above all- honest excitement and (hate this overused word) passion for F1! He had true passion, not the appearance of passion that comes with a decent paycheck (and requires a season or two to look convincing...eh?).

Suzi was good in MotoGP and I truly believed she knew what she was talking about, plus a great rapport with the riders; but in F1 just seems like a pretty patch to cover the loss of interest the BBC has had over F1 coverage. In fact, her appointment speaks more of the LACK of understanding (or interest) the BBC has about F1 than anything else. I can imagine the meeting where someone mentioned this presenter that did a sport with engines...she's pretty and likes wheels! Tofu anyone?

Thanks BBC for dropping our beloved sport for no better reason than the poor excuse of saving a couple of quid in the recession!
Original post by drstraw
That at least I agree with. Lazenby was so completely out of his depth and useless. He is just a man with a mic...

Without Brundle, Johnny and even Ted the Sky coverage would be completely useless. Georgie was good and they got ride of her!!

But I never liked Jake, or any of the former presenters because they were all just generic sports presenters (I.E. football lovers-always talked about football FFS) parachuted into F1. Murray Walker's strength was his undiluted, unabridged and-above all- honest excitement and (hate this overused word) passion for F1! He had true passion, not the appearance of passion that comes with a decent paycheck (and requires a season or two to look convincing...eh?).

Suzi was good in MotoGP and I truly believed she knew what she was talking about, plus a great rapport with the riders; but in F1 just seems like a pretty patch to cover the loss of interest the BBC has had over F1 coverage. In fact, her appointment speaks more of the LACK of understanding (or interest) the BBC has about F1 than anything else. I can imagine the meeting where someone mentioned this presenter that did a sport with engines...she's pretty and likes wheels! Tofu anyone?

Thanks BBC for dropping our beloved sport for no better reason than the poor excuse of saving a couple of quid in the recession!

pretty patch?
Reply 19
She's not bad, but Jake was definitely better. Ben Edwards is better than Martin Brundle IMO.

Quick Reply

Latest